question on LOA

lga

5-Year Member
for those that received LOA -- was the letter a regular one or certified? Did you get any notice from your local admission liaison officer beforehand?

My son's LoA came regular mail, the envelope was the size of a piece of paper folded in half. He did not get a notice ahead of time from his ALO.

Same here

My son received the same envelope in regular mail. No prior information from his ALO despite seeing him briefly at a "college night" at the high school on Oct 7. At that time, the ALO said he might hear something as early as November.

It came in regular mail in a slightly cream colored envelope. I didnt get any prior notification.

Did everyone that has received an LOA attend summer seminar?

No.

LOA's are sent to folks that the AFA/RR folks have deemed are deserving. Attending SS or not attending is NOT a deciding factor. It might play "a part" in the process, but that's all.

Also...ALO's are the LAST TO LEARN ANYTHING typically! We don't receive prior notice of LOA's, appointments, etc.

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83

My sons came in just this same "regular mail" envelope. However, his ALO had called a day or two before and asked "Did you get something in the mail this week?" When told no, ALO said, "YOU WILL!" So we sort of knew but it wasn't official.

LOA Received Question

Does anyone have any idea about how many LOA's go out and the number or percentage of kids that decide to reject them? Also, once an appointment is given and the official packet received, how long does a candidate have to sign and return it. Just curious.

Only about5-10% of candidates get an LOA, so it is very small (200 -300).

I doubt there is anybody who could tell you how many statistically don't accept it, but also LOA's convert over to an apptmt when you get that nom. Thus, I will go with the guess about 400 candidates out of those that get an apptmt turn them down. My guess for this is that typically 1600 apptmts go out and 1200 show up at BCT. If you are using this as a "well if X candidate turns it down, I might get it" realize that the SA's have been known to call up a few days before BCT and give out apptmts than, so if that is the basis of your question the answer is your roller coaster ride may not end until next June.

Opposite Actually

Thanks for the reply. Actually, it's just the opposite. My son has his LOA in hand and as a dad I've been watching him since he received it last week. He's pretty excited, but I can also tell that he's a bit nervous now that the reality of it all is starting to settle in. I was mainly wondering if getting cold feet initially is normal. We're brand new to the whole academy thing.

Back