ACT scores

magtalas192

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Is a 25 composite score (25 on everything) any good?
Before it was a 22 with a 20 in English.

Thanks

It all depends if you're a senior who is applying and you don't have any more tries at the ACT; or if you're junior trying to work their way into applying to the academy. Straight up answer for you is; for the academies; a 25 is not very good. It's above average for all students applying to all schools; but for the academy, it's below both the minimum requirements in certain areas and definitely below the average cadet.

There are 4 good news however; depending.

1. If you are not a senior, you have plenty of time to work on getting better scores. (You want a composite of around 28 or higher), with none of the subjects really below that either. If you look on the academy website, it will mention the minimums. I think 26 or 25 is the minimum in one area, but some require a little higher. (Like math).

2. The academies also take SAT scores. So, you might have done really well on those, and they would take those scores instead.

3. The academies super-score your tests. Which means, they'll take the best scores. So you can take it as many times as you like, and it won't ever hurt you.

4. If you have a kick-butt GPA, class rank, EC's, etc... and the ONLY area you are hurting on is the ACT/SAT; the academy might offer you the prep-school. It's exactly for the student who walks on water, but they have that "1 TOE" that seems to keep getting wet. Maybe All "A's" except that one "C" they always get in Chemistry. Or excellent GPA, but they just can't get the ACT/SAT good.

Anyway; best of luck to you. Learn as much as you can, and keep asking questions. Mike....

It states on the AFA site a 24 on Verbal will be considered "normally" not competitive. Thus, a 25 is very low on the spectrum. Your PAR accounts for 60% of your WCS, that means you have to an out the door GPA to overcome the low ACT. As CC stated keep taking it and also try the SAT.

The thing everyone needs to realize at the AFA it is an engineering school. If you do not have a strong Math background, life can be difficult.

In line with this question...if the recent SAT scores are very good, but the ACT taken early in my son's junior year only meet the minimums, should he retake the ACT too, or is it OK to just ride the SAT scores?

In line with this question...if the recent SAT scores are very good, but the ACT taken early in my son's junior year only meet the minimums, should he retake the ACT too, or is it OK to just ride the SAT scores?
The academy will look at both and score your son with the BEST scores he has, whether they be SAT or ACT.

That being said, I tell EVERY candidate I work with that they should take EVERY ACT and SAT that they can afford as they can NEVER hurt themselves, but they can ALWAYS help themselves!!

Okay...correction...this year, for the first time ever, I told a student she didn't need to take any more tests. She took the SAT and presented me with:

760v, 750m, 700w.

I said I thought that would be fine.

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83

Agreed Steve. I recommend that applicants take the SAT/ACT as many times as they can afford. However; there were 2 people who took each test once, and I told them both to submit those scores and go enjoy their time off and not to take it again. One had a composite ACT of 33, with scores ranging from 31-35. SAT was combined to 2190, with the lowest of the 3 tests being a 710. The 2nd individual had slightly LOWER scores; Composite of 30 (29-33) and SAT of 2000 with lowest individual score being a 680. But his GPA was a 4.0; ALL classes advanced; class rank of #1, etc... Sometimes spending weeks/months concentrating on taking ACT/SAT over just to improve 1 point on the ACT or 50-100 on the SAT, just isn't worth it when they could be using that time in other areas such as clubs, sports, leadership, etc...

But for the person with average ACT scores in the 25-27, or SAT in the 1800 area, I recommend taking it as many times as possible. Best of luck.... mike.....

Back