Sophomore with questions

AlwaysATB

5-Year Member
Just last year I learned about the Air Force Academy and since then I have been doing research on getting admitted. Long story short, my Army family has just been stationed in Spain and working with NATO. We are returning to the states in 3 years which is when I graduate. I'm just worried that I can't do some of the necessary steps in getting admitted like getting a nomination. Academically, I am getting into the IB program as soon as I can and I have maintained from mid to high A's in all my honors classes, so far. I plan on regularly volunteering as soon as I get situated. I'm going to be attending the American School here and joining their soccer team, as well. Anyways, advice and information would be appreciated.

The academy accepts international applications. Nomination may be trickier, but still doable. I'm not exactly sure how the process works, but your best bet is to call an admissions officer at the academy.

Applying from overseas is certainly doable. You will apply for a nomination from the representative/Senators for the state/district where your parents are residents. Basically that means your state and district are where your parents vote. Our daughter had no problem applying for and receiving a nomination in the state of New Hampshire because that is my state of residence. She is now officially a resident of New Hampshire as well, with state ID and registered to vote there. Be sure to contact your MOCs early (spring of your Junior year) and find out how they handle nominations from applicants whose families are stationed overseas. Some will do phone interviews. You are also likely eligible for a Presidential nomination. Be sure to look into that.

Follow packermatt's advice and contact the academy's admissions office directly. They will be able to direct you best. Good luck!

You are basically assured of one nom...a Presidential, so you are standing better than you thought. The IB program exists over here, thus that is not an issue. As far as your MOC's there are many military members who got their noms. The tricky part is to remember time delays and mailing, thus I agree contact them early. I would actually state in July, not the spring because in the spring they are cleaning up from the current class. By July and before the go on August recess, they will have the time to discuss how to do this from overseas. When they come back from recess that is when they will start spinning up with everyone calling, organizing files and setting things, so it is best to have it there in the beginning...it's not like you can just take a ride to their office if they don't have it and hand deliver.

My dad has served for well over 8 years so I'll make sure to check into that and I'll also get in contact with the admissions office for details. Thank you for the advice you've given to me and hopefully someday I'll be posting a big "I MADE IT!" on here. :)

Back