Application Status?

Kory

5-Year Member
I recently looked at my online application for the academy and discovered that they have finally processed everything. :thumb:

It says in the * that people that complete there application are called applicants. But for my status it says candidate. Under the explanation of candidate it says that this is the status given to those the academy deems competitive and/or those who recieve a nomination.

I don't believe that i have recieved a nomination so i am assuming that it means the academy finds me a competitive candidate. I am hoping to recieve a letter of Assurance but am not counting on it. Id like to ask if any knows the chances of being accepted if you are deemed competitive and what the chances may be of recieving a letter of assurance.

Thanks for your help

1st; I recommend forgetting to think about an LOA. Not cause you won't get one; you could. But because they are a small percentage of actual applicants. And because it doesn't have any bearing on all the others getting an appointment. More appointments are given without an LOA than with one. And there is absolutely nothing that you can do to influence getting one. So why stress over it.

As far as being considered a "Candidate" and being considered qualified. This is a lot trickier. Approximately 2500-3000 will be considered "Candidate". But of those; only 1700 will be offered appointments. Yes, 1700. Of those, 1300-1400 will actually accept the appointment. Remember; anyone who is qualified academically to apply to the academies and have a chance, are also qualified for Stanford, Michigan State, Harvard, Yale, Brown, etc... Very few people ONLY apply to the academies. Also; out of the 2500-3000 "Candidates", not all of them are qualified. Some are candidates because they have a nomination. But the academy doesn't choose them; they don't pass the physical; or a lot of other reasons.

So, how does this all affect your chances? That's the hard part. If you've got very high grades, test scores, ec, sports, etc... and you receive a nomination; and your MOC allows the academy to CHOOSE the appointments; you probably have a very good chance. If your MOC chooses their primary nomination, you could have an even better chance, unless another person in your district has even higher scores, gpa, etc... If you have the Average that the academy gets submitted, then a lot will depend on how many people from your district and state are already at the academy; how many are applying this year; and their scores. Remember; only so many people from your district and state can be at the academy at any given time. If you get a presidential, sports, rotc, or other nomination; than this isn't a factor for you. But if you are relying on your representative or senator for the nomination, then this does matter. There have been times when a representative wasn't allowed to even have any of their applicants given an appointment. They will still process, so if the academy sees a major standout, they can get them in without charging it to the MOC's quota. It's a very complicated process.

Best of luck to you. Mike.....

On academyadmissions.com it gives the class of 2013 profile. Last year there were 9897 applicants, 6940 Candidates, 2253 Qualified Candidates, 1667 offers of admission, and 1351 admitted. One thing I have been confused about is what makes a candidate a qualified candidate? I don't believe your online status would ever say "Qualified Candidate" only Candidate. Hope this helps

Back