Have LOA, Have Nomination, Whats Next

SALTY007

5-Year Member
Have the LOA and now have the Nomination for USAFA....whats happens now???

Wait for the big, fat envelope from the Academy! Ours came about a month after nomination came in December. We had LOA in early October.

Thanks Aggie83.
Got LOA in Nov, got Nom in Dec...so maybe for the New Year (Jan 2010) that wonderful big, fat envelope will arrive :)
More patience required :) but worth it :)

Have you been cleared by DoDMERB? If so, look for the appointment package.

congrats. we had to wait for almost three weeks for that big, fat white envelope. it is certainly worth the wait!!!

Congratulations! Here are my three suggestions what to do next:
1. Enjoy your senior year.
2. Don't get hurt (find that bubblewrap Mom and Dad!)
3. Get (or stay) in shape. Run, pushups, situps, pullups and more running for good measure.

Great list!
If I might add one more...
Buy some Thank You cards. Fill them out now at your leisure and mail them when you get confirmation. If you take the time, you can come up with quite a list. You have the time now. People will hang on to those things for years
Congrats and all the Best!

Thats a great idea....to all those people who gave Letters of Recommendations, for all those people who helped and gave support....a definate on the "To Do List" :)

(just a suggestion: learn to spell "definite." It's my pet peeve.)

Congrats!

Also, remember that Orientation is in April and you and your parents may want to attend that two-day event. Time to plan for it is NOW - airfare, hotel for the parents - they add up quickly.

Well, if you look at the academy visitation website, there are 3 weeks that they don't offer regular visits due to the "Orientation" times. Looks like the weeks of April 12, 19 & 26. From what I read on the boards last year - most people arrived over the weekend and had a get-together on Sun night, then you all meet Mon morning and have lectures, etc. with the parents and candidates, then the candidates go off with cadets and spend the night and rejoin their family the next afternoon. I haven't seen anyone with specifics for this year though, so if anyone has an appointment and has that info, please share!

We made Orientation into a family vacation (minus oldest son - too bad for him:wink:) since we had never been to CO before. Saw some local tourist sites and of course, toured the Academy & put some names to faces. There was indeed a dinner (organized on CC as I recall - though things may have changed in two years).

Our family stayed at the Academy Hotel which is right near the Academy gate. The rate for Orientation was reasonable, much more so than for PW, and I am still in touch with several of the moms I met there.

This may be a really dumb question, but isn't that right during the school year? If I somehow get an appointment and come to orientation, I have classes on all of those days (on Monday after the weekend). Obviously I would make orientation a priority, but that still seems weird to make a couple hundred kids skip school for a day or two.

Thanks,

Brian

With CVW at USNA the candidates miss a couple of days of school. I would think most high schools are used to seniors leaving for various college visits. I know my son's has been.

Follow up question. My son received LOA just before MOC interviews (actually found out he got LOA from MOC since we had not received it in mail yet). He is qualified by DodMRB, Received email notification from Senator with nomination on Dec 15th. How long does it take before the page at https://admissions.usafa.edu/secure/Online/OnlineApplication.exe gets updated?
currently displays
Your Status: Candidate*
Appointment Status: Letter of Assurance

Nomination Status

based on what I saw the site was updated about a week before we got the envelope which was 3 weeks give or take after the verbal noticification from the coach so look for the site around the new year or slightly after due to holidays and packet shortly thereafter. basically it is finish you just have to wait and it seems like forever.

Back