PPQ

bsa07eagle

10-Year Member
Well, I had kind of a discouraging discovery today. I am not PPQ for the academy. I couldn't find out why I am not qualified, but it is probably my eyes. I didn't think they were very bad during my physical, but I must have thought wrong. This probably excludes me from the running for the academy. Does ROTC care about being PPQ as much as the academy does? Its almost as bad as getting a rejection letter, I guess this is why they don't put your qualification on your application anymore. I was told that I might have an appointment by now if not for that. I am really sorry to give you all some sob story, but I am really down because of this. I am trying to figure out my other alternatives to see what I can do.

Thanks all,

Brian

There is a difference between PPQ and qualified. I am not PPQ either because of color vision, but have been qualified for the Academy (definite dq for USNA).My online app for AFA and DODMERB both state qualified. It puts you in a more competititve pool because apparently 60% of appointees are pilot qualified. Maybe Mr Mullen can help.

DODMERB doesn't render the PPQ status (Already talked with Mr. Mullen). I had to talk with the admissions department. They are the ones that make the final decision.

Brian

Yes but that does not dq you from the academy just because you are not PPQ.

Its not a dq but they don't accept very many people that aren't PPQ. A much smaller pool of applicants are selected from the non PPQ people.

Brian

My son was not PPQ for USAFA either.Found this out from ALO. We were trying to figure out best course of action regaring another injury and then discovered this. Stated Qualified on DODMERB status though.

ALO said that this becomes an issue IF you want to be a pilot. In addition you do not know if your condition is fixable with surgery (later). ALO counseled son to keep everything open, USAFA and AFROTC. But, USAFA couldn't extend CFA deadline for injury so son w/drew application. Now received nom for USNA. Have apps in for AROTC AFROTC and NROTC.

Keep all your options open. You have been so active and upbeat on this forum with your desire for USAFA. Don't let anyone tell you NO right now. Apply for every ROTC that interests you and see what happens next spring. If you can live without being a pilot, let USAFA know this. Not everyone comes out of the Academy as a pilot.

have you talked to your ALO?

How exactly did you find out this information? I wear contacts, and asked the optometrist who checked my eyes if they were good enough, or at least what my vision was; she said she couldn't answer that question, and so I am left not knowing, and now more worried than before.

If I were to call my counselor at the AFA, would they have access to that info?

Dont give up, Brian. Just because that puts you in a smaller pool of appointees, you still have a good chance! I am trying to keep the faith also.

If I may ask...How did you find out you were not PPQ? On the DODMERB website it says I am qualified for the academy, but now am worried I may not be PPQ after I read your post.

Don't give up on your dream to attend USAFA. Good luck!

Its not a dq but they don't accept very many people that aren't PPQ. A much smaller pool of applicants are selected from the non PPQ people.

Brian
Brian, (and all the rest of you)

Here's the "REAL" story for USAFA re: PPQ and NOT PPQ.

The entrance "requirements" are higher for non PPQ candidates than they are for PPQ candidates.

Now, what do I mean? I mean that if EVERYTHING was equal, a PPQ candidate will "typically" get the nod for appointment.

THAT BEING SAID...we do NOT NOT NOT slaughter the pool to try to get only PPQ candidates!!!

The BOTTOM LINE that determines whether or not you receive an offer of appointment is your WCS (weighted composite score). This score is determined from EVERYTHING you submitted to USAFA: SAT/ACT, GPA, extracurriculars, etc...etc...etc...EVERYTHING is scored!!! And in the end, the system spits out a number. Suppose the maximum possible was 2000 points. And based upon the total number of FULLY QUALIFIED candidates, USAFA determined that a WCS of 1592 was needed for an appointment. They MIGHT decide that "...we are going to need about 790 to be PPQ and we'll admit 1220 in this class." Okay...then the "line for PPQ will be 1575 and for non-PPQ it'll be 1645."

Then they rank (known as the rack and stack) ALL qualified candidates. And YOU, a non-PPQ candidate, have a WCS of 1701.

Guess what? YOU GET AN APPOINTMENT!!!

So what I will tell you is this: score as high as you can on everything you submit! If ANYTHING changes, submit it immediately. Tell your ALO, and your USAFA counselor, the SECOND anything changes.

And after you've done all you can do, then sit back and see what happens. If you've done your very best, then you can do no more and shouldn't worry about it as you can't change things at that point.

And in the end...the AFA will determine who is offered an appointment and who isn't. You can't control that so don't worry about it.

And YES, I realize what I'm saying is virtually impossible to do (been there, done that, know how hard it is) but it IS all you can do.

Keep the faith!!! It ain't over 'till its over!!!

And it's VERY early in the process. :thumb:

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83

I asked my admissions counselor at the academy and he was able to tell me. He didn't tell me what I was dq'd for, but I assume it was eyes.

Thank you,

Brian

What exactley is PPQ? What disqualifies you from it? I know what it means but what do they look for in it?

Brian,
Take a deep breath. You are not DQ (Dis-Qualed) for the Academy, but you didn't pass the PPQ (Potential Pilot Qual). Read Flier83 above. Excellent detail provided. The point is to NOT stop. Many MANY candidates submit their scores and wait. Many more have to be tracked down and pursued for supporting documentation. Be that rare applicant who stays in touch, provides what is required and then keeps working and trying to improve, updating scores etc. Every Liaison Officer has to provide a grade for your 'interest' in the Academy (a general word, different Academies use different lingo, you get it). That is what all the schools are looking for anyway. Be THAT GUY, and everything else will take care of itself.
Good luck
Lots of people cheering for you because you have earned it.

Brian,
I'm curious, were you told that you are DQd to USAFA altogether or just that you're not PPQ? As Steve said above, if it's an issue of you not being PPQ, it just means your app just has to be stronger then if you were PPQ.

I've been reading these forums since July and have seen your posts and know how dedicated you are to this dream. My hopes and prayers are with you!!!

(Annette: PPQ = potentially pilot qualified)

Question: My son has received two senatorial nominations. Should he make his USAFA counselor aware of the second senatorial nomination to another Academy? Will it add anything to his composite score? Are nominations part of the equation?
He has also been told that his vision puts him into the smaller more competive group of candidates.

guess what: i had this exact same problem. but i found out the day i was out here for a tour, two novembers ago.. talk about a let down. walking around the place after being told "yeah, since you arent PPQ, you need a stronger application."

got a call from my congressman a week or two after that telling me i'd been appointed.

moral of the story: dont give up; it just means you need a little better application. you can still come to usafa: plenty of people here arent PPQ, and some find out when they're here & getting their grad physicals that even though they were admitted as PPQ, they really arent PQ and cant fly. PQ is based on a LOT more than eyes, but the PPQ status they give you for admissions is EXTREMELY preliminary. so dont worry about it.

Do you wear contacts or glasses? If you do, then the question is are they correctable to the regs. Many cadets get PRK, so it does not take you out of the running, jus makes it harder.

Listen to Flieger he knows what he is speaking about.

Wherever the road takes you, it will be like this for your military career. Sometimes, things are just out of your control and you must accept it at face value. From there you have 2 choices, throw in the towel, or fight. As hard as this ride is right now, it actually maybe the easiest part of the ride regarding your AF career.

To me the worst part of the military career is "never knowing" the future. The twists and turns happen constantly and if you cannot change when the twist occurs it will be a hard life.

PPQ does not mean there is no appt, it does not mean you will never fly (unless it is not correctable), it means you will have to address it and modify to get that goal.

Let me give you a personal anecdotal story. Bullet was PPQ in ROTC, he went for his final DODMERB before commissioning, they DQ'd him for the AF not just PPQ, the whole enchilada, this was 4 mos before commissioning. The reason why? They said he had a scoliosis curve higher than the regs allowed. His parents immediately took him to a private doc that was tied to Sloan Kettering Hospital. The doc, immediately raised the BS flag and said the test was administered improperly. He had new x-rays done, showing that the curve was way below the regs, 4 mos later he was commissioned, 9 mos later he was at UNT, 20 yrs later he retired as a WSO with @ 1500 fighter hours. I am not saying that DODMERB made a mistake, I am saying that sometimes there are other paths that exist to obtain your goal.

Also, this is why I say constantly do not go to the AFA to become a pilot, go to be an officer. If you only want to be a pilot and fly fighters you might be sorely disappointed. If you go only to wear the blues, you will never regret your decision.

If you go ROTC, make sure you really look at the det., because that will become an issue when you are a jr. regarding your career path.

For the others this is a perfect example of why you always have a plan B. Also why we jokingly say wrap yourself in bubble wrap when you get the golden ticket.

Back