Got back my PSAT

Triple111

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Hey guys! Just got back my PSAT (sophomore year). Scores were as follows: Reading 62, Math 61, Writing 53, Overall 176, 86th Percentile. What does this translate in terms of SATs? Also if someone could post the AFA reqs that would save me some time. Thanks guys!

I just got mine back as well. I scored a 210 as a Junior. Missed the 99th percentile (and all those nice scholarships) by 3 points.

Keep working, keep reading

Regardless of your scores, I recommend you take a class (like Kaplan or similar.) You can usually find a class with a 50% discount ( but it's still expensive....but I think it helps.) Also plan on taking SAT a couple times beginning Dec or Feb of your junior year. Also take the ACT at least once.

Congrats stormtrooper! And Mike, i'm planning on taking the SAT as many times as possible to max out my score =].

For reference, my son scored a 209 on his PSAT, which made him a National Merit Commended Scholar. He just missed becoming a National Merit Semifinalist (for Indiana) by 4 points. He ultimately scored a 2010 on his SAT and a 32 composite on his ACT. He took each of those tests only once and took no prep course from Kaplan or similar prep course prior to the tests.

He received an LOA (athletic recruit) and recently received his congressional nomination and will probably be attending the Academy next June (class of 2014). He also was very involved in student government leadership, charitable work, etc. as I imagine nearly all USAFA cadets probably were in high school.

I can't say for sure how typical this is for earning an appointment, but it may at least provide you a helpful frame of reference.

I'd recommend trying the ACT as well. I got a 65/69/65 on my PSAT, or 199 total. A 1990 SAT is about equivalent with a 30 or 31 on the ACT. I got a 34. Some people are just better at one test than the other -- for me, it's the ACT.

Same for my son. He got a 197 PSAT, but a 35 on the ACT on his second attempt. He took the SAT, but the scores didn't convert nearly as high.

My sophomore and junior years I scored 184 and 199 respectively. The first time I took the SAT and ACT I scored 2080 and 33.

Personally, I like the ACT better, but I would recommend taking both tests. I recently took both tests again, and I feel much better about my scores this time. However, I will not know my scores for two more weeks.

After studying from many different books, I would recommend Barron's. They have two very well written books, SAT 2400: Aiming for the Perfect Score and ACT 36: Aiming for the Perfect Score, that introduce test-taking strategies for students who are seeking high scores. These were my favorite study guides, but Princeton Review also makes some good books.

My suggestion: get some books or take a class. You have over a year and a half to study, don't waste it. Your scores are already higher than most, but when applying to the Service Academies you will find that most people have high scores too. By studying hard you can raise your score significantly; your score on the SAT and ACT will depend on the amount of work you do now.

marciemi: If you don't mind me asking, what did your son get on the ACT his first time?

He got a 33 on the first try. Although he'd actually taken it once before that in 8th grade and got a 31 then, but didn't take the writing and that one was for "fun". :rolleyes: But I guess technically it was his third attempt!

His SAT was a 2070 (710 M, 690 V, 670 W), which obviously isn't nearly as good as the 35 ACT by their conversions!

I've been using the ACT 36 book with my younger (junior) son, who took his first ACT today, and learned some good tips there. He got a 187 on his PSAT so he's hoping his ACT works out better too!

Ok, I'm hoping that I improved at least a point (I took the test today too). I feel like I did much better on it, so we'll see. It would be awesome if I could get up to the 35 range like your son. It is encouraging to hear that he started out with a 33.

jamesmham, I got a 33 the first time I took the ACT as well. I used review books before my first ACT, and didn't do any reviewing before my second, on which I got a 34. If you had been using the review books, I say it's definitely likely that you improved. Good luck!

Thanks, I hope that I did improve. I didn't use review books the first time I took it. This time I studied for it constantly, so now I wait with my fingers crossed.

I don't think the PSAT is an accurate representation of what you're SAT will be. The "add zero" method is very rough, at least in my experience. I scored mid 1700's on PSATS but scored over 2000 on the actual SAT... soo don't worry about it to much; but I do recommend a class it helped me in with my weak areas immensly.

Marciemi, the ACT 36 book you mentioned-do you know of a place where I could buy that? Im terrible at these tests. I have like an 1800 SAT and a 29 ACT :frown:

USMAalltheway

Back