USAFA Orientation

SALTY007

5-Year Member
Anyone booked their dates / flights / hotels for the April Orientation yet??
Figured we had better do it ASAP as I know hotels book up fast and flight prices change.
We are booked for the 26th & 27th April grouping...staying at the Best Western. Anyone else going at that time frame.?? :biggrin:

We booked the first weekend - April 12/13th since my son is off school the previous week for spring break so we'll head out early and ski and visit with friends in the area. Booked the Drury Inn for right now but that's tentative (and will probably change the first few nights - Thu/Fri - to accommodate skiing!).

What time are you booking your flight out on Tuesday? I haven't seen an end time, but the latest flight I can get is at 5:50 out of Denver (don't want him to miss school the next day too). Not sure if this is too early so I'm holding off until next week so I can call and ask.

We booked out on Wednesday as we were informed that Tuesday orientation prob might not finish till around 5pm or so...but you never know when these orientations decide to end...could be much earlier. If you do find out a solid time frame..plse let me know...thanks.
We fly in and out of Colorado Springs......I love that little town :biggrin: and its only about a 20 min ride away from the Academy.

Last edited:
You can really leave whenever you want to. Tuesday your appointee will just be shadowing a cadet so if they need to leave it's no problem. If they miss out on an afternoon class, so be it.

Thanks - that's what I heard from someone else, but wondered if it was a huge hassle for the cadet to meet up with me. I also saw there was an optional parent tour on Tuesday afternoon and wanted to ask the time on that.

My son is taking Organic Chem at a local college and will already be missing two days of that class (since they're not on spring break at the same time), which he's concerned enough about. He'd really rather not miss a third, and since the time zones go the wrong way, there's no way we can fly out on Wed in time for that class. He did go out to USAFA last year for a full day visit and did the whole "go to class with a cadet" thing so hopefully it wouldn't be terrible if he missed a part of the day.

Thanks - that's what I heard from someone else, but wondered if it was a huge hassle for the cadet to meet up with me. I also saw there was an optional parent tour on Tuesday afternoon and wanted to ask the time on that.

My son is taking Organic Chem at a local college and will already be missing two days of that class (since they're not on spring break at the same time), which he's concerned enough about. He'd really rather not miss a third, and since the time zones go the wrong way, there's no way we can fly out on Wed in time for that class. He did go out to USAFA last year for a full day visit and did the whole "go to class with a cadet" thing so hopefully it wouldn't be terrible if he missed a part of the day.

If anything, it shouldn't be a problem for the cadet to drop your son off after lunch (12:30 ish). There's enough time between that and the start of fifth period. The day is rather informal and there are no closing events, so it really is just leave when you want/need to.

I'm sure it will not be a problem if you have flights to catch...plus..like you stated...he has already done a previous visit.:smile:
We also did the previous visit and my D did the "shadow a cadet" and totally enjoyed the whole ordeal.
Most of it will be things we may have already heard before so I'm sure everyone will have different plans on staying longer or shorter.

Congrats to your Son....I'm sure your very proud of him :smile::smile:

Took Salty's advice for check out on Wednesday. Much better flights to CT in the am :shake:

We booked 4/19-20 so we will extend our spring break a few extra days. Damevaako (D) and I will be flying in from Ft Lauderdale on 4/17. Really looking forward to visiting Colorado for the first time. Have booked accomodations at the Academy Hotel since the shuttle to/from the Academy stops there. Love that convenience. Can't wait to meet the wonderful, supportive people that have been posting over the last 6 months :thumb:

We made reservations at the Embassy Suites for April 11-13. However, has anyone submitted a registration for Orientation? I saw a link in this site, but not sure if the Academy is even accepting them yet. I picked the Embassy Suites because I see that buses leave from at or near that location to go to the Academy.

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and submitted the online form, but haven't gotten any confirmation or anything. Not sure how anyone would know about it if they didn't read these boards! One thing I found frustrating online was when it asked you if you were taking the shuttle or providing your own transportation, it had a choice for both Mon and Tue. Monday I'd rather avoid the parking hassle, but if we're rushing to the airport Tuesday, I'd rather drive (yes, I saw it was recommended against!). Even though there were two choices for the two days, choosing one option defaulted the other one to the same thing. So if I picked Academy Hotel for Monday, it wouldn't let me choose Own Transportation for Tuesday. I put the hotel pickup and figure it's one more thing to ask when I call!

MikeandCris - maybe we'll get to meet you there! :thumb: Saw on another thread that Falcongirl was also shooting for that option.

we booked at embassy for the 17-19. they have free happy hour:biggrin:

we plan on flying out on the 6:30 am on wed so son can be at school for his first class.

we booked at embassy for the 17-19. they have free happy hour:biggrin:

we plan on flying out on the 6:30 am on wed so son can be at school for his first class.

So does the Drury - along with a free light dinner! And usually a lot less expensive than the ES!

Unfortunately we can't get home without a connection and with the hour time change, couldn't get a flight that got in before noon so even the early morning didn't help us on Wed. Although I COULD fly leaving at midnight to Detroit and then sit there for 4 hours overnight before heading to Wisconsin, but that didn't sound like the most fun way to spend a night! :eek:

Hi everyone,

I feel like I missed something. My ALO told me about April orientation but I have not received any official documentation about it. Having received my appointment in the mail the other day, this is a huge priority for me. Where/how can I find it and sign up? Thank you!

So has anyone recieved the orientation package from the academy or did you all just base your dates on the online registration option dates and the info from this forum? I have to wait just a little longer to book our weekend, my son plays lacrosse and we have to pick the best game to miss, they always have Tuesday games. We are trying to find out the schedule, but it is really early. I don't know if we should just book the flights and hotel and take our chances.........

So has anyone recieved the orientation package from the academy or did you all just base your dates on the online registration option dates and the info from this forum? I have to wait just a little longer to book our weekend, my son plays lacrosse and we have to pick the best game to miss, they always have Tuesday games. We are trying to find out the schedule, but it is really early. I don't know if we should just book the flights and hotel and take our chances.........

i would say book the hotels the flights aren't on special right now anyway. You can always cancel the hotels

When we went out, (I can't believe it was 2 years ago now) we stayed at the Academy Hotel and met many many ppl whom we'd met here and on CollegeConfidential. It was reasonable and had a decent breakfast buffet. We left on Tuesday night late out of CoSprings airport. I remember how tired we all were the rest of the week!

It is such an exciting time! I am still in touch with several of the moms I met in person that weekend.

Enjoy!!!!

The Academy Hotel.....aka "Best Western" is located very close. I believe it will have a shuttle avail to pick up from airport and also shuttle to and from the Academy itself. I believe this is one of the Hotels listed on the "online orientation sheet".
The Cost/Rate is very reasonable and also offers Hot breakfast.:thumb:
Hope to meet some 2014 familes if your staying during the April 26/27 dates:smile:

Hey everyone,

I may or may not be going to orientation this year, but if any of you need any help let me know. We live only a couple miles away from the North gate of the Academy and would be willing to offer transportation if you need it. I don't know if we have the room for people to stay with us, but feel free to ask me any questions about the area or anything you want to know.

Later,

Brian

Back