A deposit with a plan B school--a question for parents

Discussion in 'Service Academy Parents' started by Mom22, Apr 1, 2016.

  1. Mom22

    Mom22 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2016
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    2
    My son has an appointment to USMA and has been given a deadline of 4/15 to accept and I expect he will do so.

    Still, I worry if some type of injury, accident happens prior to R-day. I am wondering if other parents have placed deposits with plan B schools as backup? While admissions officers hate this, I am told by friends in admissions offices that it is common and expected.

    Thanks for any advice.
     
  2. Mom22

    Mom22 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2016
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    2
    Well, I should have searched more carefully! I see that many took plan B deposits. Good to know!
     
    EOD/SEALmom likes this.
  3. fast18s

    fast18s New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2016
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    5
     
  4. FalconsRock

    FalconsRock Parent

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2015
    Messages:
    772
    Likes Received:
    537
    I am assuming that you found a few posts on this topic, yes???
    My DD's accepted her admission to plan B at Texas A & M; paid the deposit, signed up for housing and everything else that's required. However, my DD said they would have to push her out the door with a broken leg, arm, knee or worse before she would ever leave. She will pull her application once she makes it through BCT. Medical turn backs do happen, so we feel like we made the right decision.
     
  5. 2018mom

    2018mom Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2013
    Messages:
    69
    Likes Received:
    22
    My DS is C3C now. I did the same thing. I did cancel housing at A&M so I got my deposit back on that. I figured if he ended up at A&M he would join the corps and they would squeeze him in a dorm somewhere! I scheduled him for his new student conference for the very last date in August JUST IN CASE. Notice all the "I"s in this statement. My DS was completely confident he would finish basic and would not look back. A&M was MY fall back school for him. I just knew he was going to college somewhere and I didn't want him at the local community college! (local being the key word) On Acceptance day, I let A&M know he wouldn't be attending. Best 75.00 I ever lost just for my piece of mind.
     
  6. Sydney C.

    Sydney C. Member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2013
    Messages:
    348
    Likes Received:
    281
    Pay the deposit, even if you loose it, and don't look back! DS had appointments to USMA and USNA early but I forced him to apply to another school "just in case"....$500 non-refundable deposit. He selected USNA and just four weeks before I-Day was medically DQ'd due to a late season sports injury. You never think it's going to be your kid...but it is. If we had not done that, and hadn't paid the deposit...it was the local CC and no wiggle room...it was June!

    You don't want to roll with those kind of dice...it's a small price to pay with everything else at stake.
     
    coachkarl likes this.
  7. time2

    time2 Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1,051
    Likes Received:
    265
    Many older threads on this topic but there is nothing wrong with having a Plan B. Good to talk with the Plan B school and let them know what you are doing since most will be accommodating knowing the background.
     
  8. Capri120

    Capri120 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2016
    Messages:
    304
    Likes Received:
    201
    Did your DS know you had plan B all set up?
    I am also considering paying the deposit, scheduling the orientation, and reserving housing for DD's plan B University. But, I don't want her to think I lack confidence in her ability to make it through BCT and beyond. I have all the faith in the world she can and will. But, like Sydney C. said, anything unforeseen can happen that may DQ her before or during BCT.
     
  9. FalconsRock

    FalconsRock Parent

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2015
    Messages:
    772
    Likes Received:
    537
    Capri120, my DD knows about our plan B and is very confident that she will make it through BCT. But she is also aware that there are certain things she can't control It is a prudent thing to do.

    I think you should have a frank discussion with her about it and tell her why you think it's a good idea. I don't have exact stats, but I would bet medical turn backs occur in each class. It has nothing to do with your confidence in her or her ability. Sometimes it just happens. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. If not and it happens that she gets a medical turn back, she will see herself at a local CC. That may not be the best course if she would consider re-applying the next year. Cover all your bases. That
     
  10. Capri120

    Capri120 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2016
    Messages:
    304
    Likes Received:
    201
    Thanks FalconsRock. Will discuss it more with her and DH. Fortunately or unfortunately, the local CC would not be an option since she will have her AS degree in 6 weeks along with her HS diploma. So, it would have to be a 4-year university or nothing.

    And, completely agree with always hope for the best, plan for the worst, and take what you get...at least in the short term.
     
  11. FalconsRock

    FalconsRock Parent

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2015
    Messages:
    772
    Likes Received:
    537
    It seems in your DD's case, a backup university is even more important. What will she do if she is turned back? I guess she could get a job for one semester, and then start in the spring. IMHO, that would be risky if she intends to reapply in that situation. She may surprise you and agree. Let us know how things turn out.
     
  12. Capri120

    Capri120 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2016
    Messages:
    304
    Likes Received:
    201
    Very true. Not to worry, she has been accepted by her top two Universities, with scholarships. I will plan on making the deposit to her Plan B (1st desired University) so, worst case scenario, she can continue her pursuit of a BS in Chemistry.
     
    FalconsRock likes this.
  13. Capri120

    Capri120 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2016
    Messages:
    304
    Likes Received:
    201
    Well, yes, however she worked at a drive in this summer and said, "Now I know why I NEED to get a degree! I don't want to carhop the rest of my life!"
     
    FalconsRock likes this.
  14. EOD/SEALmom

    EOD/SEALmom Member

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2015
    Messages:
    528
    Likes Received:
    448
    Even more of an incentive to lock that plan B, so she's not working there this fall, right?!?! ;)
     
    FalconsRock likes this.
  15. mom3boys

    mom3boys Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2007
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    231
    Perhaps we're in the minority, but we didn't pay the plan B deposit for either DS. (2nd one was a reapplicant, and what we didn't pay was the tuition deposit for is second year). Risky? Perhaps...but it worked for us. Many, many don't pay for plan B. Please don't feel the pressure to do so if you are not wanting to. Most do fine. Most stay. Most are not turned back. My $.02.
     
    SDMom2019 likes this.
  16. FalconsRock

    FalconsRock Parent

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2015
    Messages:
    772
    Likes Received:
    537
    I can totally see your entire point and I am glad it all worked out for your DSs. I look it as insurance....you never need it til you need it. You can pay thousands of dollars in insurance over a lifetime for your life, car, house and never need it. You can't get the money back, but it gives you peace of mind. But, if you don't have it, you and your family could be in a world of hurt.

    Would my DD crumble and die if we did not keep a plan B in place? No. But it certainly would make the blow of getting turned back much easier to recover from. Every family has to do what they are comfortable with.
     
    Fishpart, Sydney C. and VelveteenR like this.
  17. 2018mom

    2018mom Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2013
    Messages:
    69
    Likes Received:
    22
    My DS knew. He gave me his typical eye rolling "you can do what you want to, but you have nothing to worry about look." Lack of confidence is not in his vocabulary.
     
  18. Capri120

    Capri120 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2016
    Messages:
    304
    Likes Received:
    201
    My DD gave me the same response...said even on a broken leg she would figure out how to keep up.
     
  19. 1mom

    1mom Member

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2015
    Messages:
    201
    Likes Received:
    117
    A deposit was just made for Plan B school. DS was advised and he understood the reason, "just in case..." It is always better to be safe than sorry.:idea:
     
    repatriot and FalconsRock like this.
  20. Capri120

    Capri120 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2016
    Messages:
    304
    Likes Received:
    201
    Totally agree. $200+ is a small price for "insurance"
     

Share This Page