A what-if thread on being offered a scholarship, but not to the "right" school...

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by shanagan, Jan 26, 2010.

  1. shanagan

    shanagan Member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2010
    Messages:
    85
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm pondering the best worst case scenario today - that my son receives an offer from either Navy or Air Force (why yes, I am a little stressed knowing they're both meeting today) but not to his school of choice (Texas A&M) the school that started him on this path in the first place.

    So I'm guessing what "might" happen is that if he's offered the $$$ but to the "wrong" school, he'll go ahead and attend his TAMU w/us footing the bill as previously expected.

    I'm just wondering what his chances would be for next year's selection committees if he turns down an offer this year, I guess.

    Think he'd be penalized for further scholarships down the line?
     
  2. falconchic88

    falconchic88 Member

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Messages:
    864
    Likes Received:
    176
    Not sure how AF works, but when Navy sends NROTC scholarship package, they also send instructions and a form for how to request a change of school. There is even a wait list you can be placed on. My advice is to have your son accept the scholarship nomination (its nonbinding) and request a change of schools by following the procedures they lay out in the package.
    To answer you question, my feeling is that he won't be penalized for not accepting, if he joins ROTC at A&M without the scholly and tries again next year, but I don't know that for sure.
     
  3. PositiveThinking

    PositiveThinking Member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    Messages:
    333
    Likes Received:
    2
    Hi Shan - sent you a PM! :thumb:
     
  4. shanagan

    shanagan Member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2010
    Messages:
    85
    Likes Received:
    0
    Y'all are awesome, thanks so much for the information (and hand-holding!).
     
  5. singaporemom

    singaporemom Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    884
    Likes Received:
    6
    Always accept the scholarship and then wait and see what happens with school acceptances and change requests. There will be alot of shifting schools...probably on March that shift starts to take place and spots open up in schools. Do not let go of the scholarship until you are absolutely sure you will not use it.

    Good luck...The waiting is hard!
     

Share This Page