I'm writing this thread solely based on my knowledge of AROTC. There's a couple of points I want to hit after being in a lot of your shoes 3 years ago. 1. I know this is a pretty stressful time to a lot of those who were not awarded a national scholarship. However, if AROTC is what you want, and you really want to commission, then stop worrying. Seriously. You have plenty of opportunities to receive the same scholarship on campus. You're still going to have to compete for it of course. Trust me, it's not the end of the world. 2. Please don't consider going SMP solely for the financial benefits. I used SMP as my plan B three years ago after I didn't receive a national scholarship and it turned out to be the best decision ever. However, a lot has changed since then and you're not able to collect tuition assistance until a year after you complete AIT, not just basic. If you do SMP, make sure your GI Bill kicker is in your contract. I was screwed out of it and it has taken more than a year and a half to receive my kicker. I'm not down playing SMP. It's a great route to take for the experience, especially if you're wanting to commission into the Guard or Reserve. 3. I cannot stress to you how important your PT and GPA will be when you join ROTC. Two of the three national scholarship recipients at my school, no longer have their scholarship or are in the program. Why? They couldn't pass their APFT and their grades were horrible. GPA is 40% of your accessions grade and your APFT is 15%. You literally have full control of 55% of your future. The other 45% has plenty of other variables that might take things out of your hands just a little. Regardless, as an officer it's expected of you to have a high APFT and maintain good physical fitness. The reason I stress PT and GPA is because I didn't have it together my MS I year, well I only had one semester as an MS I. I came into my MS II year with a 3.06 CGPA and a 276 APFT. However, I knew that if I wanted to get active duty, things had to change and quick. I finished my MS II year with a 3.70 CGPA and a 346 APFT, because of that I was able to go to Airborne school and I was selected for a CULP mission this summer. I'm now standing at the top 3 in my class with a 3.78 CGPA and a 367 APFT going into LDAC. I by no means am trying to brag but merely trying to show you that it's not impossible, especially if I did it. I was only afforded the opportunities I received because of my GPA and APFT. Also, the two four year scholarships were given to two MS Is with a 290+ APFT. 4. Please, if you're in JROTC, don't come into ROTC with the mentality that you know so much more than everyone else. It's a huge pet peeve of mine and many other MS III/IVs. Come with an open mind that's ready to learn and soak in everything that you're going to be taught. There's a couple of other things I'd love to touch up on but this is already pretty lengthy. Anyways, this might have been redundant but I hope it gave a least some of you a little insight.