Accepting Appointment

Discussion in 'Military Academy - USMA' started by hunter21, Mar 5, 2013.

  1. hunter21

    hunter21 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2011
    Messages:
    69
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi everyone,

    Although I am dead-set on accepting my appointment to USMA, my parents are equally steadfast in their insistence that I wait until I attend my USNA CVW before accepting my appointment. Although they know that I've wanted to attend West Point and become an Army officer since I was 3, they still want me to look at all my options with an open mind, since I've also been given an offer of appointment by USNA.

    I know there's a lot of paperwork to do once I've accepted my appointment. Having said that, are there any negatives to waiting until the end of March for accepting my USMA appointment? Thank you in advance!
     
  2. Navy Seal Mom

    Navy Seal Mom Member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2010
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    It sounds like you feel very strongly about USMA. That being said there are MANY other students who feel that strongly at USNA and they deserve to get that appointment that you are holding on to. Please do the right thing and accept one or the other as soon as possible. You are very blessed to have 2 appointments. Many others are desperately waiting for just one. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.
     
  3. PJay

    PJay Member

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2011
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    0
    I would accept the West Point application if you're positive. That will give you more time to complete all the paperwork and account for any potential delays in getting everything done. The sooner the better.

    The second point is like Navy Seal Mom said, it opens up the position for another candidate who wants to have the slot at USNA, and will give them more time to prepare as well. The longer you take the less time someone else has.
     
  4. aglages

    aglages Parent

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,680
    Likes Received:
    4
    I'd wait until you've visited the USNA. Make absolutely sure that the USMA is the correct choice for you. The additional couple of weeks will not cause another candidate a spot at either SA and it will reassure your parents that you have thoroughly explored your options and have made the right decision for you.

    Good luck!
     
  5. BigBear

    BigBear Class of 2015

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    Messages:
    699
    Likes Received:
    1
    ^This. Double check the appointment forms to make sure nothing is time-sensitive. There is no sense rushing into a decision when you have time to make the best decision possible.
     
  6. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,537
    Likes Received:
    1,001
    I agree with aglagles and BigBear. You are under no moral or legal obligation to rush this decision. If you make it by May 1 the appointment will still go to someone else, maybe not as soon as they would have wanted, but it will. Do not let anyone pressure you into making a decision. Your parents are wise to prevail upon you to wait. It certainly cannot hurt to do the CVW first.
     
  7. majmattmason

    majmattmason Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2008
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    0
    I agree with your parents, wait until you visit Annapolis then decide. You have the option, use it to your advantage and don't be hasty with your decision.

    There is nothing wrong with holding out, you're not preventing anyone from getting their appointment. Once you decide, the other appointment will be filled. Don't let that determine what you will do. You've been given the option by both academies, use it!

    Annapolis is a fantastic opportunity and you wouldn't want to throw it away simply because you think you're dead set on West Point. Both academies are excellent, go and see!
     
  8. mom3boys

    mom3boys Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2007
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    231
    Two things:
    First: Hi MajMattMason!! Long time no see!!!

    Second: You could be MY kid. This is exactly his scenario in 2008, except his CVW was in Feb. The coach even called him in January to see why the acceptance hadn't been sent yet. He said, "My mom is making me visit Navy first." He walked in the door from Navy, picked up the West Point acceptance card (it was mailed back then), grabbed a stamp, and stuck it in the box. :shake: He never looked back. Now he's in aviation school at Ft. Rucker.

    Go Army!
     
  9. BigNick

    BigNick Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2010
    Messages:
    567
    Likes Received:
    3
    Visit the Naval Academy before you accept. That is a resonable request from your parents. However, if you are still sure that you want WP after the visit then quickly accept WP regardless of your parents opinion.
    You are at the point in life where you must make your own decisions.
     
  10. hunter21

    hunter21 Member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2011
    Messages:
    69
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you for the responses everyone, I appreciate it! I will definitely visit USNA with an open mind. As far as holding onto an appointment for another candidate, I won't take forever to make my decision, I don't want to make someone else wait longer than needed.
     
  11. Roadking

    Roadking Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Messages:
    134
    Likes Received:
    0
    Listen to your parents! Enjoy the trip to Annapolis, you will remember it fondly for the rest of your life!

    All the best!!!
     
  12. BigBear

    BigBear Class of 2015

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    Messages:
    699
    Likes Received:
    1
    it might be the only chance you get to go there without it being enemy territory:thumb:
     

Share This Page