Advanced 3 Yr AROTC

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by TTMOM, Apr 23, 2010.

  1. TTMOM

    TTMOM Member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2010
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    0
    Son has been offered a 3 YR Advanced Designated AROTC Scholarship which is great!. It is for a school he has been accepted to, but he would preferr to go to another school. We need help in the next step. We have contacted the school he wants to attend (NC State) and have been told they only have 1 Out of State 3 Yr Advanced Designated AROTC Scholarship alloted to them. This have been offered to 3 other people but they have not heard back from them. We have contacted Cadet Command about changing his school, but they said they will not notify us until mid May.

    Our letter says we must accept or decline the schlorship by 4/30/10 to the school listed. NC State is offering more assistance during the 1st year than the school the scholarship has been offered to and Son really preffers NC State (We also have family around NC State)

    What do we do now? I am afraid to send in a deposit to both schools in a hope it can be transfered. Is this allowded? or do we get in trouble if they find out we accepted admission into two school.

    We have also been given information about the SMP Program thru the National Gaurd. This may be a possibility.

    Any suggestions as to what we should do and what is :Legal: would be greatley appreciated. :confused:
     
  2. Just_A_Mom

    Just_A_Mom Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2006
    Messages:
    4,826
    Likes Received:
    2
    If you can afford to send him to NC State without the scholarship and he wants to go there then he should go there.
    He doesn't need to go to the school that offers him the scholarship to be in ROTC. If he is interested in SMP then he can decide that during his freshman year.
     
  3. TTMOM

    TTMOM Member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2010
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    0
    Just a Mom, thank you. I think we are going to just go with NC State and have him join the ROTC unit in his Freshman Year. Even if he accepted the 3 year scholarship he still has to pay for the 1st year at either school. NC State is less expensive because they have offered over 11K in Grant money plus he prefers NC State.

    We are hoping that since he was awarded the 3 year AD Scholarship and declines it right now, as long as he does well during his Freshman year in ROTC and classes in NC state he will be awarded a scholarship thru them beginning his Sophmore year. I know we have to re-apply and all of that, but at least we will know more about what we are doing than we did when we applied this year. :yllol:
     
  4. goaliedad

    goaliedad Parent

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1,601
    Likes Received:
    35
    Double depositing can result in both schools admissions being rescinded if they find out about it. Often you can request extra time, giving them a reason such as waiting on a scholarship decision, and a school will extend the committment date.

    With the other school, is the 3 year AD scholarship national or campus? Both are available and the form with the offer will indicate which it is (check box) IIRC from our offer form. The national one is truly transferrable (up to CC of course) and the campus one is not at all transferrable.

    I'd say if NC State will give you a little more time for the scholarship issue to settle, you could deposit at the other school, accept the scholarship and ask to transfer it while waiting on NC State or CC to get you one or the other of the scholarships. A bit complicated, though and it doesn't really sound like he wants to go to this other school.

    However, it sounds like he really wants to go to NC State and it sounds like the finances are doable (at least the first year). I find it very puzzling that a unit can offer a single college-based scholarship to 3 different people at the same time. Is it first grab first get? Can they provide you some clarity as to when the other 3 people are supposed to reply? Can they add you in as a 4th as a first-com first-get? (Have your fax machine handy and fed-ex envelope too.)
     
  5. Just_A_Mom

    Just_A_Mom Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2006
    Messages:
    4,826
    Likes Received:
    2
    Are you out of state for NC State? One more thing to keep in mind - if the scholarship doesn't work out and he does SMP then he will get in-state tuition.
     
  6. CadetMom777

    CadetMom777 Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    Messages:
    189
    Likes Received:
    0
    TTMOM, DO NOT decline the scholarship. If the NC State spot opens up in May, and you have declined the scholarship, it is gone. There is no obligation by accepting it now. You can turn it down at any time during the summer before school starts.

    Also, as goaliedad said, do not double deposit as this is against the rules of national commitment for colleges. It can result in the rescinding of acceptances.
     
  7. House06

    House06 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2010
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    0
    Also check with NC State ROTC regarding their policy on SMP students. Some programs will only take a certain number of this type students because of demographics.

    Talk to NC State, (you or your student) letting them know that it is students #1 choice and see what they can do.

    If as goaliedad already indicated the 3yr scholarship is a 3yr Advanced Designee scholarship then that is nationally awarded and Cadet Command shouldn't have an issue with student transferring it to NC State- given that NC State is interested in your student.

    Just because your student ( or mine, or anyone else's) has a scholarship does not mean that the ROTC program has to take them. The PMS will make the final decision as to whether or not that student is a "good fit" for the program.

    Best of Luck to you and your son in your decision.

    Also, after reading your post Advanced Designee scholarship means the scholarship has come from Cadet Command- it is nationally awarded and generally transferable. The Advanced Designee name means that the Army considers this student a "full" scholarship student with same expectations as a 4 yr scholarship. The difference is that the Army doesn not pick up tuition for the first year however the student is expected to fully participate in the ROTC program in advance of receiving 3 yr scholarship. Hope that makes sense!
     
  8. Mel2001

    Mel2001 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you for posting this thread, because I was telling my husband we needed to make a deposit to an out-of-state school AND our local school, even though we're still waiting to hear if DS is getting ANY type of CC scholarship.

    :::sigh::: And I thought the WAITING from CC was the worst part. I think THIS is the worst part - deciding on where to make deposits! :smile:
     
  9. The OC Josh

    The OC Josh Member

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2009
    Messages:
    478
    Likes Received:
    0
    Amen, if you accept it for now it keeps that option open. Make a deposit to NC State and hope the scholarship can transfer in May. If it can't then decline it...

    If you decline it, it's gone.
     
  10. TTMOM

    TTMOM Member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2010
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you everyone

    Thank you everyone for all of your replys! :biggrin:

    If I understand what has been suggested we should

    1) Accept Scholarship to the school listed on the offer, but not make a deposit to them
    2) Make a deposit to NC State and try and get transfer. If transfer does not come thru then decline scholarship, attend NC State and try again for scholarship thru the school for next year

    One sentance in the offer states " We will confirm you attendance in May 2010. If at that time you need to change the school you chosse to attend we will take that change request into condiseration."

    He will not be attending either school until the Fall, but are they going to check with school 1 to see he has sent in the deposit?:confused:
     
  11. CadetMom777

    CadetMom777 Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    Messages:
    189
    Likes Received:
    0
    Correct to both 1 & 2! Hopefully, the other three students up for the 3 Year AD slots will have made their answers known since they will have to commit to NC State by May 1st as well. I would talk again to the PMS or ROO of NC State and get their advice on putting down their school when the confirmation letter comes in next month even if the spot hasn't opened up. The school and Cadet Command may allow you to stay on the NC State waitlist over the summer. You never know who might change their mind between now and September. Since your son has for sure decided he will attend NC State whatever the outcome, there is no risk in putting all your eggs in that basket.
     
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  12. cjs

    cjs Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    Messages:
    668
    Likes Received:
    3
    How about asking both schools for a deposit extension? See if they will both give you past May 1. Explain to the admissions and FA department that you are waiting word on a ROTC scholarship. It's worth the shot.
     
  13. TTMOM

    TTMOM Member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2010
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you! This Forum has been a lifesaver for my sanity. I only wish I would have found this site earlier in the process!
     

Share This Page