I'm looking for advice and experiences of those who may have gone before us or are in similar situations. My DS has an ROTC scholarship to his top choice civilian school. That was his "Plan B." He now has his Plan A (USMA appointment). Should he indicate he won't be using the ROTC scholarship now, hold it until May, or can he keep it longer - i.e., through A-Day? He would like to hold on to that ROTC scholarship as long as he can - just in case something should happen that affects his ability to attend. What comes to mind are injury (during spring Track or during BEAST) or personal tragedy. My question is, how long can/should he hold on to that ROTC scholarship? I think I have seen discussions where some appointees held their ROTC scholarship through BCT. True or false? For Plan C, he has an academic scholarship to a different school that he is willing to attend if all else falls through. In that case he intends to join ROTC as a non-scholarship programmer. I'm confident he could heal in time for ROTC PFT in August as long as he doesn't have a major injury like a broken leg (but I don't think he would have to pass the PFT in the fall as a non-scholarship programmer either). He wants to do the right thing for other deserving candidates but doesn't want to give up his options in pursuing his goal of becoming an army officer - and of course West Point has been his dream since 6th grade. I'm sure we are not the only ones facing this situation, and listening to what others may be thinking would be of interest. Any advice, insight, or experience of your collective wisdom will be appreciated.