AROTC Transfer Request

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by goodjakm, Feb 7, 2013.

  1. goodjakm

    goodjakm New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, my son received a three year scholarship to Villanova (his third choice), this week.. in the meantime he applied ED to Washington and Lee University (his first college choice) and was accepted this past week as well. With the ED agreement, he must resind his other college applications which we are doing. This leads me to my questions, he still has a strong desire to pursue ROTC, and would like to transfer his scholarship if possible. He has already accepted the scholarship (as per the advice on this forum), and he reached out to his contact at VMI to let him know his intent. We have the acceptance letter from Washington and Lee. Is there any reason to wait for April to request the transfer? Should he wait to resind our Villanova application until the transfer is considered, so as not to confuse matters? (he is obligated to attend Washington and Lee and will honor this commitment) Any advice on how to word the transfer would also be greatly appreciated. He chose Washington and Lee because of it's basic culture and high academic standards.
     
  2. EDelahanty

    EDelahanty Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2010
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    312
    Assuming he has received the Villanova scholarship in writing, he should accept it immediately. On his written acceptance to Cadet Command he should state that he is requesting a transfer of the scholarship to Washington & Lee, which he is committed to attend as a result of ED. Then make contact with Cadet Command and get the name and number of the person who would oversee a transfer. There are likely to be hundreds of people seeking transfers but I'd bet the busiest time will be after the third board, by which time everyone will know what colleges have accepted them.

    When you talk about rescinding the Villanova application, you mean the school, right? I would advise against this. Why not preserve your flexibility? Villanova will accept far more candidates than it expects to admit in the fall, so it's not as if your son is taking someone else's spot.

    You should contact the VMI people right away to let them know what your intention is. Also you can get a sense from them how they see the possibility of a transfer.

    VMI and W&L being within spitting distance from each other, I would wonder whether any spitting actually goes on. You mention the basic culture (a curious phrase) of W&L. I imagine there is a cultural difference between the two schools. If so, does this extend to ROTC participants?

    Congratulations and good luck to your son.
     
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  3. goodjakm

    goodjakm New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    He already accepted the scholarship, so he will need to request the transfer as a seperate communication. He has to resind his other applications as part of his Early decision agreement, that includes Villanova. I keep reading on the boards here that the transfer requests occur in April. Is there any reason to wait?
     
  4. EDelahanty

    EDelahanty Member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2010
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    312
    I apologize for my poor reading comprension: you did mention the ED requirement for rescinding in your first post. You probably should call Cadet Command to get the procedure and timing. In my son's case he was offered a scholarship to the wrong school (he hadn't applied there) in the final board of that year, so there was no time to lose.
     
  5. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,545
    Likes Received:
    1,005
    EDIT: Removed question to EDelehanty which was answered in the cross-post.

    @goodjakm - Since the tuition at the two schools is virtually the same your son may stand a chance of transfer. I can't imagine what it would be like though participating in ROTC when the host unit is at an SMC. Just seems weird to me and I'd be concerned about it being even more difficult on your son because of the extreme cultural differences. I would imagine it will be harder to fit in than it would in a normal satellite-host school situation. He will have to work very hard to stay high on the OML considering the competition he'll be up against at an SMC, especially if he's hoping to go Active Duty. But there is no alternative at this point. I'd be interested in hearing about the outcome of the transfer request. Good luck to your DS.
     
  6. goodjakm

    goodjakm New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you both...
     
  7. Roxymom

    Roxymom Member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2012
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    10
    AROTC scholarship transfer different brigade

    DS has submitted transfer request to Cadet Command from private original #1 choice to in -state public #2 choice. It seems straightforward because its a big cost savings . Schools are in different Brigades. He's notified both universities and has support from PMS at in-state university.

    How much of a problem could the different brigades be for the transfer (4 yr)?
    Thanks!
     
  8. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,545
    Likes Received:
    1,005
    Given that they are in different brigades or there may not be space at the in-state school there could be a problem. But no one hear will really know. Depends on how many want to transfer between brigades from what I hear. But you certainly have the cost factor working in your favor. Just be sure to send deposits into both schools if he was accepted at both, so you are prepared for any outcome. If he was not accepted by #1 choice school it might help to include a copy of the letter with the request.
     
  9. Roxymom

    Roxymom Member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2012
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    10
    AROTC transfer across brigades

    None of the in -state public slots were filled prior to this 2nd selection board. DS was accepted to both universities. He included the acceptance letter to instate public univ with detailed transfer request. The APMS at preferred university is supportive. We really can't see any down side to CC approving. I'm sure well be putting down more than one deposit.

    Thanks!
     
  10. goodjakm

    goodjakm New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    request was accepted!

    Just wanted to thank you both again for your help... My DS's request for transfer was accepted to W&L and he will be making a go of it at VMI... He is very intent on serving his country, so we are hopeful that he will do well.
     

Share This Page