Can I transfer my 4 year scholarship to another school?

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by sjbd94, Feb 2, 2012.

  1. sjbd94

    sjbd94 Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2011
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    0
    I just received word in the mail today that I received a 4 year scholarship to my #1 choice, it would of been a really great day, but I was declined admissions to that school a few days ago. So what do I need to do. The school was an in state school and I understand that I could only transfer it to another in state school. Is this going to be hard to do and who do I need to contact to make it happen?
     
  2. dunninla

    dunninla Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,866
    Likes Received:
    5
    sorry to hear that.

    1. Accept the scholarship you've been offered
    2. Ask Cadet command to transfer the scholarship to a school you have been admitted into.
    3. If you haven't been admitted and are waiting for March decisions, then wait to ask Cadet Command until you can fax them an admissions offer.
    4. Wait for their decision. While waiting, get to know the Cadre as the receiving school, and see if they will support your request.
    5. Ask the cadre at the school that denied your admission if they can influence an appeal decision there.

    You have a much better chance of having your request approved if the receiving school is of equal or less cost, and it is within the same Brigade.
     
  3. PotentialParent

    PotentialParent Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    139
    Likes Received:
    0

    Hang in there, breath, and follow the advice above. I have been on the phone recently with Cadet Command and certain ROTC Commanders, and have been given very consistent, and solid advice. The above is a great summary of what I have been told.
     
  4. sjbd94

    sjbd94 Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2011
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    0
    Okay i will do that. But there is also something else I am concerned about. I was offered a 3 year scholarship to a less expensive school that I have been accepted to in state. Should I accept the 4 year to the school I didn't get into and transfer it or should I accept the 3 year to the school I got into, even if I might plan on transferring the 3 year to another school at a later date?
     
  5. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,546
    Likes Received:
    1,007
    I'm not familiar with the process, but that one seems like a no brainer. Accept the three year that you can use. If they don't allow the transfer at least you have a scholarship in hand along with a decision to be made. If they don't allow the transfer after accepting the four year you have no choices.

    Of course there may be other factors affecting your course of action. I also have no idea if its more difficult to get a transfer if you've been accepted to the school.
    Anyway, that's how I would proceed without any additional info.
     
  6. Jcleppe

    Jcleppe Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2010
    Messages:
    5,541
    Likes Received:
    842
    DON't Accept anything yet, you have some time left before you need to accept or decline, Get on the phone now with the school you would like to attend and talk with them. Ask this same question to them, again DO NOT ACCEPT anything until you have had a chance to talk to the right people, then you will be able to make the right decision. Just make sure you decide before the deadline.
     
  7. dunninla

    dunninla Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,866
    Likes Received:
    5
    I agree with that, given the new information about an offer to a school that DID accept the applicant. That changes everything. When my DD got a 3 Yr. AD to a Private, and a 4 Yr. to our in-state Flagship, I asked the ROO at the 3 Yr. AD school if she could accept the 4 Yr. AND the 3 yr. AD, and attempt to upgrade the 3 Yr. AD to 4 Yr. The answer was that you must decide on one to accept. I was also told it would be highly unlikely to accept the 4 Yr. to the Flagship, and then have Cadet Command approve a transfer of that 4 Yr. award to the 3 Yr. AD school.

    In your shoes, I am not sure what I would do. First, I would attempt to get in, through Appeal, to the 4Yr. option school. Get the Cadre there to help if possible. Problem is you only have about three more weeks to get that done. If you get into the 4Yr. award school, you're done (maybe... see last paragraph). If you don't, I would see ask the 3 Yr. AD cadre if you have their support, then to ask Cadet Command to upgrade the 3 Yr. AD award to a 4 Yr award.

    Last thing -- since you didn't get into the 4 Yr. option school, the Admissions committee thinks most of the students there are/were more prepared academically that you are. Given that, what is the chance you will excel academically at a place where you are less prepared than the students currently attending? What good is it to get into a school where you will struggle to get Bs? (there are possible benefits, but only you would know how you would respond is that circumstance... work even harder, and rise up, or be discourage and founder). This assumes of course that Admissions knows what they're doing when they try to match an applicant's preparation with their own standards and workload. Keep in mind that your GPA 3.5 years from now will play a very important role in defining your position on the Order of Merit List, and thus your Branching options. If you think you will likely be a B student at the 4 Yr. option school, and an A student at the 3 Yr. AD school, that is a very important factor you need to consider.
     
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  8. 831copper

    831copper Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2012
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    0
    Dunninia, I'm curious ... what did your DD do? Is she at the flagship or the private now? Mine may be in similar situation when we get the letter today/tomorrow/Monday...
     
  9. dunninla

    dunninla Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,866
    Likes Received:
    5
    Private. First year cost me an arm and half a leg... or more accurately, WILL cost me an arm and a leg starting six months after she graduates and I have to start paying on that PLUS loan.
     
  10. 831copper

    831copper Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2012
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yep -- that's likely what we will do as well, crossing our fingers for some merit aid and outside scholarships to weather the first-year storm. Did you try to get the 3 yr upgraded to a 4 yr?
     
  11. dunninla

    dunninla Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,866
    Likes Received:
    5
    Yes, tried to get it upgraded to 4 Yr. I spoke with CC, then emailed the details of the loan we would need to take out for the first year, etc. Two weeks later I learned our request had been denied.
     

Share This Page