Choice of Major

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by futuremid, Mar 14, 2011.

  1. futuremid

    futuremid Member

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2010
    Messages:
    146
    Likes Received:
    0
    I noticed on the Summer Seminar Application, it asked for your two top interests as far as majors go. Does that affect your application at all? I heard someone say it does, but I'm still not sure! :/
     
  2. armystrong2015

    armystrong2015 Member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2010
    Messages:
    86
    Likes Received:
    0
    It does not affect your application. They just want to know what your intended majors (for the time being) are. I believe it's so they can pair you up with a Midshipmen that's pursuing the major you want, so you can have a good idea of what it's like. But it doesn't affect the actual application at all. After all, there are still tons of Middies who don't know what they want to major in! Good luck!
     
  3. osdad

    osdad Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2010
    Messages:
    746
    Likes Received:
    27
    Someone who thinks they know everything is really annoying to those of who do. Just kidding 2015.

    Nobody here has the magic decoder ring for Academy admissions. Do they look at what major you wrote on your SS application? I think it doubtful but I don’t know. Could they use it to select between candidates – sure, they can use anything they want. Do they? Nobody here knows.

    Be honest in completing everything for NA – after all doesn’t every HS junior want to study Electrical Engineering? :biggrin:
     
  4. Whistle Pig

    Whistle Pig Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    1,634
    Likes Received:
    1
    If it didn't matter, why would they waste resources asking? :confused:

    'Tain't just for the fun of it ... or USNA admissions sitting around pondering, "Gee wouldn't it be fun knowing what these NASSies think they wanna study?":shake:

    "Yea, really cool Admiral! We'll just put it on the application so we'll have more data to mess with. It'll help pass the day! ooo rah! And that would really put applicants into a tizzy, just wondering why we are asking!" :biggrin:

    "Oh man, this is really fun!":yllol:

    "If you say so, Admiral, sir!":screwy:
     
  5. usnabgo08

    usnabgo08 USNA 2008/BGO

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2007
    Messages:
    1,827
    Likes Received:
    591
    Or maybe it's used for assessment and statistical purposes.
    No one knows exactly how it is used, but I am sure it doesn't affect any calculations or decisions by the Admissions Board.
     
  6. Capt MJ

    Capt MJ Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2008
    Messages:
    2,341
    Likes Received:
    1,805
    Might be a problem if someone wrote in Art History, Archaeology or Mortuary Science...:shake:
     
  7. usnabgo08

    usnabgo08 USNA 2008/BGO

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2007
    Messages:
    1,827
    Likes Received:
    591
    Capt MJ,
    I guess that is why the choice isn't free response. They ask which major group.
     
  8. Capt MJ

    Capt MJ Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2008
    Messages:
    2,341
    Likes Received:
    1,805
    Figured there would be protections against creative responses...
     
  9. futuremid

    futuremid Member

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2010
    Messages:
    146
    Likes Received:
    0
    I put down first choice, Humanities, because Arabic is what I want to major in. Second choice: mathematics
    I know it is a technical school, so hopefully that doesn't effect me too much.
     
  10. GoNavyMom

    GoNavyMom Member

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    Messages:
    242
    Likes Received:
    0
    In each class year, the Academy wants 65% of the students to be STEM (Groups I and II) majors and the other 35% can be a Group III major (humanities). I understand that so far the students have self sorted into these categories when selecting majors without assistance from USNA.
     

Share This Page