Conversion of Offer

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by Tkaler, Feb 20, 2013.

  1. Tkaler

    Tkaler Member

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2012
    Messages:
    39
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have been awarded a 4 year Type 7 AFROTC scholarship.
    I have been notified that I have until March 1 to decide whether or not I will convert this to a 3 year Type 2 offer.
    How am I to do this is I still have applications out to multiple public and private institutions and do not yet know which one I will attend in the fall?
    Is there any way for me to extend this deadline?
    I am having quite some trouble getting ahold of my Education Tech and any help is appreciated. I am sure I'm not the only student in this situation.
     
  2. psychedmom

    psychedmom Member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2013
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    0
    Congratulations on your offer! You are not alone. Our son is in the same situation. Emails and calls in to all schools and the ed tech. He is not sure if he makes this choice if it can be changed later. He currently has one in state acceptance and one out of state, but hasn't yet visited the OOS. Would have done so if he had knowledge of the 3/1 deadline...thought he had until May. Does anyone have an idea if it is a better chance to accept the type 7 and then later try to change it to type 2, or best to convert and then try to go back to type 7 if that is where he ends up? Keep working on it and keep us all posted!
     
  3. FutureOfficerMom

    FutureOfficerMom Member

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2012
    Messages:
    36
    Likes Received:
    0
    Tkaler & psychedmom: Congratulations to you both! Last year, my DS accepted his Type 7 and then converted it to a Type 2 prior to the May deadline--though in his case, he had already been accepted to the universities in question and needed to make a decision regarding which he wanted to attend. HOWEVER, I would caution that the procedures this year may be different than last year. Hopefully, one of the other very knowledgeable posters on this forum will be able to provide specific guidance. Best of luck!
     
  4. psychedmom

    psychedmom Member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2013
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    0
    I understand that your experience may not be exactly the same with the changes a new year brings, but I have to say I am so happy to hear that it has happened. That was my gut instinct, accept what has been offered and go from there. Thank you for sharing your experience. Our son is accepted at both but has not yet visited Ohio or heard back about combining merit. The answers on merit are trickling in...SUNY Albany says yes use the merit for room and board. OSU says yes if he goes with type 2 and OOS rate, have not yet heard from them if they will take his type 7, if so National Buckeye is a no go. So hard to compare apples to apples. We want him to have real numbers to make his decision.
     

Share This Page