decision time

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by Finn3165, Apr 29, 2015.

  1. Finn3165

    Finn3165 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2015
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Difficult decision and could use some input for my DS. He underwent knee surgery and has recovered completely but DODMEB won't accept release until 90 days post op which will in 2 weeks. (his physician already cleared him) Today he sent in his acceptance for the Naval Academy and then 4 hours later he gets an email from the Air Force Academy that they have granted him a waiver. Do you think he will get a waiver from the Naval Academy or should he take the "bird in the hand"?
     
  2. NavyMom19

    NavyMom19 Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2014
    Messages:
    136
    Likes Received:
    81
    Finn3165....the question he must ask himself is what type of Military Officer does he want to be...Air Force or Navy. If he was granted a medical wavier with the USAFA...does he have an appointment or did he just get wavied and is waiting to see if he gets the appointment....same with the Naval Academy...he got an appointment but is waiting on a wavier?
     
  3. Finn3165

    Finn3165 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2015
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    He did receive appointments to both. When he hurt his knee he was medically disqualified pending review by the DODMEB at 90 days post op. From what I understand usually each Academy Medical Officer then decides if they will give him a waiver based on DODMEB recommendations but the Air Force Academy granted the waiver even before the 90 day post op review by the DODMEB. His first choice is the NAVY but there is no guarantee he will get cleared by the Naval Academy and the Air Force Academy already has. Since the deadline for acceptance is in 2 days he has to either take a chance or go with what has already been presented.
     
  4. nuensis

    nuensis USNA 2016

    Joined:
    May 23, 2011
    Messages:
    735
    Likes Received:
    79
    Explain the situation to USAFA and see if they can extend the deadline.

    Alternatively, accept USAFA and decline it later if USNA waives.
     
    blackhawkmom likes this.
  5. swimmermama1

    swimmermama1 New Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2014
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    1
    Due to a medical condition that developed after my daughter received her two appointments, she needed a waiver. Air Force granted the waiver within days but we had to wait weeks for the other waiver. We contacted the AF Academy to explain her situation and they extended her acceptance date to May 15th. They even said if she needed more time, to contact them. AF was very gracious and I would recommend contacting them versus accepting the appointment and declining it later.
     

Share This Page