Deposits

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by plmmar, Apr 17, 2010.

  1. plmmar

    plmmar Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    0
    A lot of us are faced with the prospect of having to place deposits at more than one school because of the fast approaching May 1st deadline.
    We are still waiting to hear whether or not we will be awarded a scholarship or not-so what should we do? If you don't pay the deposit you lose the spot and the scholarships, right?
     
  2. aglages

    aglages Parent

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,680
    Likes Received:
    4
    Yes - most schools require a deposit by May 1st. However, you can call the school and ask for an extension if you have some extenuating circumstances (like waiting for a ROTC scholarship) that prohibit you from committing by the May 1st deadline.

    I've also read on this site that if you make deposits to more than one school you may not only lose at least one of your deposits but may be denied admission to both schools. The only validation that I can find for that possibility is if both schools use the Common Application for admissions. I believe there is an agreement with that application to not deposit to more than one school. However.....I have been wrong before.......
     
  3. plmmar

    plmmar Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks, well then I guess the thing to do is call admissions and find out if it's possible to get an extension on the deadline. Just concerned about losing University offered scholarships.
     
  4. aglages

    aglages Parent

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,680
    Likes Received:
    4
    If the university gives you an extension then you shouldn't have to worry about losing their scholarships, but of course you should ask them just to be safe. It probably wouldn't hurt to have them send you something in writing or perhaps to get the email address of the person you talk to so that you can send an email to them outlining what they agreed to.....Good Luck.
     
  5. mariner116

    mariner116 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    Messages:
    234
    Likes Received:
    1
    I echo the advice to call the colleges you are considering. In our case, we have been waiting for our daughter to become medically qualified and the process had been dragging along (Dodmerb has been great btw).

    The ROTC scholarship is required for her to attend her #1 school. Her #2 school has offered a merit scholarship that covers about 80% of the full cost. We talked to the #2 school and they agreed to keep their offer open until we got the final word on the ROTC scholarship to the #1 school. The good news is that we found out on Friday that she is medically qualified! We are all thrilled.
     
  6. plmmar

    plmmar Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    0
    Congrats! Wait is over for you.
    Good advice from everyone. Thanks.
     
  7. cjs

    cjs Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    Messages:
    668
    Likes Received:
    3
    On top of calling admissions I would also call the school's financial aid office as they usually handle the scholarships. Personally I would request it in writing from both an admissions standpoint and scholarship standpoint.
     

Share This Page