Directly from High School

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by napjim, Feb 25, 2014.

  1. napjim

    napjim Member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2013
    Messages:
    34
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm curious -- I heard at West Point, only about 70% of the plebes are directly from high school -- the other 30% coming from prep school/college or enlisted ranks. Any idea what this number is at Annapolis?
     
  2. rocatlin

    rocatlin Member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2013
    Messages:
    347
    Likes Received:
    88
    From the Class of 2017 profile...

    The Class of 2017 includes 360 (30%) from college and
    post-high school preparatory programs which include:

    200 from Naval Academy Prep School in Newport, RI

    14 from the Navy Nuclear Power Program

    51 from the U.S. Naval Academy Foundation Program
    (36 from prep schools and 15 from colleges)

    95 additional students have completed at least one
    semester of study at a college or university
     
  3. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,537
    Likes Received:
    1,001
    From the 2017 class profile available to the public on the USNA web site:
     
  4. time2

    time2 Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1,051
    Likes Received:
    265
    I think the % is somewhat misleading since those going to NAPS also applied to USNA largely from h.s. and were assigned for 1 yr of NAPS before starting USNA. Those attending NAPS directly out of h.s. are part of the 30%, which I don't think most realize.

    When you exlude those, the true number of enlisted or those transferring from college to attend USNA is much smaller. I guess it just depends on how you want to count that.
     
  5. ca2midwestmom

    ca2midwestmom Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    1,275
    Likes Received:
    178
    ...except that it says post-high school preparatory programs which include:
    - 200 from Naval Academy Prep School in Newport, RI


    Those candidates may be 1 year out of high school, if they attended the prep school. A lot of those going to NAPS first are prior enlisted.
     
  6. blackhawkmom

    blackhawkmom Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    0
    My firstie went straight in from high school. He said if he knew then what he knows now he would have tried for NAPS. Depends on the kid some high schoolers are ready some are not. It's tough no matter what but priors and kids with some college seem to do better. With that said I think the quality of hifgh school matters most of all. We are from a rural area and my child was not as academically ready as probably 90 % of the other plebes. If you start out behind it's hell to fight your way back. That said lord willing and the creek don't rise my firstie goes to NFO in Pensacola in July!!!!!!!!!!! Best of luck to you and yours!!!!
     
  7. time2

    time2 Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1,051
    Likes Received:
    265
    One doesn't apply to NAPS. You apply to USNA and they make that determination as part of the application process.
     

Share This Page