Disappointing News - Next Steps?

Discussion in 'Coast Guard Academy - USCGA' started by flamom, Mar 30, 2014.

  1. flamom

    flamom New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yesterday was a very sad day in our house. My son received the news that he was not offered a direct appointment or to the scholars program. He attended AIM and we were all hopeful for the scholars program. He will apply for the class of 2019. Is it better that he attend one of the colleges he was accepted to and get guidance on the curriculum he takes or should he look into attending one of the two colleges the USCG uses for their scholars program? He will contact his AO when she returns later this week and consult with her but we wondered if others had experience with this.
     
  2. 1984USNA

    1984USNA Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2014
    Messages:
    64
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm not an AO, but here's my opinion. I'm all about options, on ramps and off ramps. You probably have a good Plan B school picked out. I would start that program and make sure I took math and science classes similar to the academy plebe year. I'd shore up any possible weakness in my record and I'd reapply. If I got in the 2nd time, Boom. If not, I'm a year closer to my degree and potentially OCS. Good luck with whatever you decide.


    Sent using the Service Academy Forums® mobile app
     
  3. kpo

    kpo Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2014
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    If i recall correctly, the tuition for the private military colleges that the academy draws from in the scholars program is pretty significant. I am sure that the experience would be a great one, and I would say "full speed ahead" if someone else was paying the tuition. That was not going to happen with DS, and I did not DS to be burdened with a lot of student loans for 1 year at MMI if he did not get accepted into the Class of 2019. I would recommend going to one of the other schools that your child was accepted to, preferably the lowest priced option, and following the above poster's advice. That is the advise my son received from his AO.

    My son's Plan B was an AROTC scholarship, and he learned last week that he was selected for a 3 year scholarship at one of his top schools. If that had not worked out, then DS was planning to attend the local public college and try to replicate the first year CGA curriculum as much as possible and then re-apply for the Class of 2019. I should also tell you that we visited the CGA on two occasions. I went on the parent tour both times, and met 4 cadets over the course of those tours. 3 of the 4 said that they did not make the cut the first time that they applied. One went to MMI, but the other 2 went to their in-state school. DS's host for his overnight visit did the same thing.

    Good luck!


    Sent using the Service Academy Forums® mobile app
     

Share This Page