Entrance difficulty

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by Theyellowfellow, Jun 23, 2015.

  1. Theyellowfellow

    Theyellowfellow Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2015
    Messages:
    105
    Likes Received:
    10
    How much more selective is usna than usafa and usma
     
  2. PhilDavidsonUSAFA

    PhilDavidsonUSAFA Member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2015
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    13
    It's less selective than USAFA, and slightly more selective than USMA.
     
  3. frenzymando

    frenzymando Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2015
    Messages:
    750
    Likes Received:
    136
    Are you sure about this? Google says that USNA is most selective followed by USMA and USAFA is the least selective of the three.
     
  4. Theyellowfellow

    Theyellowfellow Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2015
    Messages:
    105
    Likes Received:
    10
    Yes agreed with frenzymando, this is what I've heard of so far except usma is the easiest of the 3
     
  5. NavyHoops

    NavyHoops Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Messages:
    3,090
    Likes Received:
    2,446
    Honestly how competitive your district is will play a large role in this. For instance if you live in Northern Virginia you are talking about a ton of highly qualified candidates, many who attend very well regarded schools. A candidate from middle of no where Wyoming probably has a smaller pool applying for their district and even within the state. Virginia is a big military state and very big Navy state, that draws lots of interest and candidates. This is something that you can't control. This process is very long and arduous. Focus on what you can control and the things you can't, just let them go.
     
    deltasquad_21 and midmom20 like this.
  6. PhilDavidsonUSAFA

    PhilDavidsonUSAFA Member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2015
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    13
    the navy inflates its acceptance figures the real acceptance rate hovers at probably 35-40%
     
  7. Theyellowfellow

    Theyellowfellow Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2015
    Messages:
    105
    Likes Received:
    10
    Yeah I live 15 minutes from West Point so bummer
     
  8. RedDragon

    RedDragon Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2013
    Messages:
    152
    Likes Received:
    100
    USNA reports the most applicants...when you really look at the numbers, though, I would surmise that the figures for those that are 3Qd with a nom are similar for the 3. For whatever it's worth, DS received appt to USAFA but was wait listed for USNA.
     
  9. USAFA83GradWife

    USAFA83GradWife Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2013
    Messages:
    1,115
    Likes Received:
    564
    That's a pretty subjective question. If USNA has more applicants than USMA and USAFA, and they all have near the same number of slots, then it will look as if USNA is more selective.

    USNA and USMA also are located where there is a larger population density. People have a tendency, in general, to apply to schools that are closer to home.

    So, honestly, they are all very selective. Apply to the one(s) that offer you opportunities to do what you want to do.
     
  10. usna1985

    usna1985 USNA Alumnus

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    4,509
    Likes Received:
    459
    That's like saying, which is more of a luxury car . . . Lamborghini or Aston Martin. Seriously, "selectivity" is somewhat in the eye of the beholder. With SAs, are you counting applicants, official candidates, qualified candidates, etc.? Suffice it to say that all are extremely competitive and selective.
     
    AF-Dad likes this.
  11. USMCGrunt

    USMCGrunt Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2010
    Messages:
    1,669
    Likes Received:
    811
    Hmmm....

    If you get into one service academy and not another, you can assume the one you got into was the least selective.

    Perhaps the words of Groucho Marx apply here: "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." ;)
     
    Sydney C. likes this.
  12. usnabgo08

    usnabgo08 USNA 2008/BGO

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2007
    Messages:
    1,829
    Likes Received:
    595
    My question is what insight is the OP looking for?
     
  13. Usnavy2019

    Usnavy2019 Member

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2013
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    54
    I would focus more in being the best candidate possible rather than the selectivity of US(AF/M/N)A. While the numbers appear daunting, you only really have to compete against the 3Q nominees in your district/state and on the NWL (if applicable). If you are in a district where you are the only 3Q+nom applicant, congratulations, you are going to a Service Academy.
     
  14. frenzymando

    frenzymando Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2015
    Messages:
    750
    Likes Received:
    136
    If 5 people got into USAFA in my district last year but only 2 got into USNA in my district last year does that indicate that my district is more competitive for USAFA than USNA?
     
  15. NavyHoops

    NavyHoops Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Messages:
    3,090
    Likes Received:
    2,446
    Not necessarily. The next year it could be the other way around. How many were athletes? How many had presidential noms? How many applied for noms? How many spots were open for the MOC? How many were prepsters?

    As you can see there are so many factors that play into this. Focus your efforts on putting the best package together. Trying to to figure out the math behind all this will drive you nuts. There are too many variables to understand the entire picture. You are better off studying for your SAT than worrying about these numbers.
     
    AF-Dad and Zmansmom like this.
  16. time2

    time2 Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1,055
    Likes Received:
    267
    So your intent is to only apply to the one which is most/least 'selective'? As someone mentioned above, I also am curious why you are asking. Selectivity can be measured in several different (often arbitrary) ways.
     
  17. frenzymando

    frenzymando Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2015
    Messages:
    750
    Likes Received:
    136
    For my MOC, when you apply for a nomination from him, you have to rank which service academies you want to go to more. The selectivity of the service academy could impact the OP's ranking of them. If getting a nomination to USMA gives him a 90% chance of getting in while getting a nomination to USNA gives him a 10% chance of getting in because it is more selective, the OP might decide to rank USMA as his number 1 even if he would rather go to USNA. I'm not sure if that is his actual reason for asking, but I was actually pretty curious about this myself for the reason I mentioned.
     
  18. NavyHoops

    NavyHoops Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    Messages:
    3,090
    Likes Received:
    2,446
    If he wants to go to a specific SA, then he should ask for a Nom to that school. Also, not every MOC handles noms this way, spreads the wealth, or will only provide one nom to one school. This is unique to each candidate and something they can discuss with their BGO. Also, there is no way in knowing the percentage chances. One year to the next can be completely different in terms of the number of those applying for a nom. OP, don't let the percentages play into your decision. The Army, Navy, USMC, Air Force are all different. What service do you want to serve in? They are all unique and different and should start with answering that question. If the answer is, I don't care, I just want to serve, that is also fine. Usually 1 SA will start to resonate with an applicant as it fits their personality better, has a major they want, they want a specific MOS/Branch. Visiting campuses can help too.
     
  19. time2

    time2 Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1,055
    Likes Received:
    267
    The original question was vague and makes no mention of probabilities for NOM's, it now seem like some are assuming that is what was asked. I don't think many would recommend trying to 'game' the NOM system.....what if you end up with only 1 NOM for a SA you really don't want to attend???? Getting a NOM is only one part of the application formula. You also need to be 3Q AND high enough up on the list to be offered an appointment. If the OP wants us to be more helpful and is asking more than a hypothetical question, he/she needs to clarify exactly what they are asking.
     

Share This Page