Got a scholarship to a school I never applied to...

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by R.Martin95, Feb 5, 2013.

  1. R.Martin95

    R.Martin95 Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2012
    Messages:
    69
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey, all! I just received a letter in the mail today congratulating me on receiving a four year ROTC scholarship to a nearby state school. I listed this college on my potential schools in my ROTC application, but during my application process, I realized this school wasn't one I would be interested in attending. I didn't apply, instead applying to one other state school and a private school (both listed on my ROTC application).

    I now have a fantastic scholarship to a fantastic school that I have no chance of attending. I won't be hearing back from either of my other choices until April, but only have until March 3rd to report my decision as to whether or not I will accept to scholarship.

    I am currently trying to get in contact with the ROTC coordinator at my private school of choice. I understand that the army might not want to transfer my scholarship from a state to a private school because of costs, but I can try.

    I'll take any and all advice. I'll admit: I totally dropped the ball by not updating my application with my new picks for colleges. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out what my next step should be.

    Thank you so much!
     
  2. goaliedad

    goaliedad Parent

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1,601
    Likes Received:
    35
    At this point, if you wish to have any chance of transferring the scholarship, you must accept the scholarship presented. There will be an opportunity (CC will notify you) for you to request a transfer coming a little later (after the last board).

    By all means reach out to other schools where you have been accepted. Perhaps even to that other state school where you also applied. Sometimes the cadre will know that someone is giving up a scholarship (increasing the likelyhood of your getting a transfer).
     
  3. Jcleppe

    Jcleppe Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2010
    Messages:
    5,537
    Likes Received:
    837
    The biggest issue is going to be that the cost of tuition to the private will probably be a lot more then the tuition at the school the scholarship was given.

    In the past some applicants have had success with transfers from a 4yr at an in state school to a 3yr for a more expensive private school. This might be an option that you want to discuss with the ROO at the private school you wish to attend. I would contact them soon.
     
  4. Invisibility

    Invisibility Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2012
    Messages:
    121
    Likes Received:
    26
    My sister had this same exact thing happen to her with AROTC last year. She did some follow-up (I think she sent a letter, and talked to the PMS at her top choice school) and ended up with a 3-year to the school of her choice.

    So... yeah, tactical error, but I think it's pretty common. Don't give up! You may not be able to get the 4-year, but you may still be able to get some scholarship money. For my sister, the total amount paid would actually have gone up rather a lot at the private school over 3 years than the state school over 4.
     
  5. Thompson

    Thompson Member

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2012
    Messages:
    767
    Likes Received:
    43
    Had a question about this .... so I received a 3 year (full tuition) to ERAU - OOS, do you think the odds of transferring scholarship to PSU - IS, might be a bit greater than normal since cost is a $30k difference and it's IS?

    I know both scholarships are very competitive ...
     
  6. vadad

    vadad Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2013
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    If you have any desire to attend the school where assigned, you might want to talk to the detachement at that school to see if they can help with a "late" admission. I have seen this happen.
     
  7. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,539
    Likes Received:
    1,001
    ^^^^
    Frankly I would pursue all these options in parallel and hopefully one of them will pan out.
     
  8. R.Martin95

    R.Martin95 Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2012
    Messages:
    69
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you so much, all! I will accept the scholarship, talk to the ROTC at my top school and try to get in contact with the school I was offered a scholarship too! No matter what, I'm excited for what the coming fall has to offer :D
     
  9. Marist College ROTC

    Marist College ROTC Member

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    413
    Likes Received:
    0
    I strongly agree.

    First step is to accept the scholarship to the school that it was offered to. Fill out the paperwork that CC sent you. Photocopy or scan it. Then mail it in. Once the acceptance paperwork is received at CC, you can begin negotiating. You do not have to wait until after the 3rd Board. There is a good chance that CC will not respond until after the 3rd Board, but sometimes it happens earlier.

    If the 2 schools are in the same BN, the BN CDR can approve the switch.

    Good luck.
     

Share This Page