How much of the application do standardized tests count for?

Discussion in 'Air Force Academy - USAFA' started by USAFA2018, Jul 16, 2013.

  1. USAFA2018

    USAFA2018 Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2013
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    How much of the application does the act or sat tests count for? I know academics is like 60% but out of that 60% is there more emphasis on the act or sat or high school classes that are honors or ap and grades? Thanks
     
  2. SuaSponte

    SuaSponte Member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2013
    Messages:
    276
    Likes Received:
    0
    Standardized tests are worth a good amount more than class rank, which is worth more than GPA. That's basically it if I'm not mistaken.
     
  3. 18'er

    18'er Member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2013
    Messages:
    113
    Likes Received:
    0
    If it's like USMA, SAT/ACT is about 30% of the Whole Candidate Score, or whatever USAFA calls it. Another 30% is Class Rank/GPA/High School competitiveness, a total of 60% for "Academics." Then 30% for "Leadership" (10% athletic leadership/10% classroom leadership/10% school-community leadership) and the final 10% for physical fitness score. Again, that's how USMA does it - according to a video on their facebook page. The USAFA may be a little different.
     
  4. Buff-IP

    Buff-IP USAFA '88 Pilot

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2013
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    2
    It depends...but good ACT/SAT scores are very important.

    If you had average grades, but a high workload/AP classes, that would rank higher than a very light academic load and good grades. If you were top 10% in a very competitive school that would weigh more than top 10% of a low end school.

    There are a lot of AP/honors courses out there, and they are not all equal (AP in one school might be normal course load in another)...but all the ACT/SAT testing is equal...so it would be a good idea to take those tests until you get very good scores.
     

Share This Page