How solid is a solid "Plan B"?

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by tritritri, Feb 20, 2015.

  1. tritritri

    tritritri Member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2014
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi everybody! I have accepted my appointment to USNA, but also I've heard that one should have a good Plan B in place in case of injuries or anything like that between now and I-Day. I have also received a 4-year NROTC scholarship to UIUC, which I have been admitted to. My question is, should I pay the enrollment deposit, choose housing, file FAFSA, etc with UIUC right now as a back-up plan?
     
  2. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,547
    Likes Received:
    1,009
    I would recommend paying the deposit, etc. If you don't have a deposit somewhere then you don't have a solid plan B IMHO.
     
    Craig likes this.
  3. Mom529

    Mom529 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2013
    Messages:
    195
    Likes Received:
    236
    Check your dates. All the backups my son applied to had the FAFSA deadline on Feb 1.
     
  4. candidate1997

    candidate1997 Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2014
    Messages:
    57
    Likes Received:
    31
    Doesn't the FAFSA involve providing tax information? I thought it was based on 2014 taxes, and in our case, they definitely wouldn't be completed by Feb 1.
     
  5. Craig

    Craig Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2010
    Messages:
    515
    Likes Received:
    95
    Treat it like low cost insurance. There is typically an administrative fee to hold to hold your place in the incoming class (non-refundable). Unfortunately it can be a few hundred. For housing there are usually two components (housing application fee and deposit). Deposit for housing is likely refundable.
     
  6. Vtmom

    Vtmom Member

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2014
    Messages:
    42
    Likes Received:
    21
    Fafsa is due by feb 1 or feb 15 depending on the school. Using 2014 tax numbers OR 2013 with estimated 2014. Our taxes aren't done either but the Fafsa was due a few weeks ago for plan B schools. In some cases they ask for more tax info. Also, some schools require a CSS (college scholarship service) which is also financial info required for grant/scholarship money. Almost all back up schools on DS list required both.
     
    candidate1997 likes this.
  7. Mom529

    Mom529 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2013
    Messages:
    195
    Likes Received:
    236
    Vtmom has it correct. What you are to do is use 2013 tax numbers to file it, then you are given a link later to import the new 2014 info after the taxes are filed. The true pain has been the CSS profile required by privates. We even had to scan tax papers into an IDOC system for some. It was a pain. Call your backup school to see if it is too late. Good luck, and hopefully you will never need it.
     
  8. tritritri

    tritritri Member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2014
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks all! I'm going to pay the admittance deposit now and try to figure out how housing works (SA perks...lol). The FAFSA deadline for UIUC is mid-March, but my mom is filing her taxes now, so that will be filled out ASAP. Thanks again for the help :)
     
  9. USNAco2019hopeful

    USNAco2019hopeful Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2014
    Messages:
    250
    Likes Received:
    76
    Out of complete ignorance on my own part, why would you apply for FAFSA when you've already been awarded a 4 year scholarship?
     
  10. hthp37

    hthp37 Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    105
    Likes Received:
    23
    Last year my son was in same position. We did put down a deposit on University of Plan B and lost it, but like the poster above said, it was cheap insurance.
    Because he had rotc scholarship, we did not bother with FAFSA. Congratulations on your appointment!
     
  11. tritritri

    tritritri Member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2014
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    Can FAFSA also cover room and board or just tuition? I would be living on campus if I had to go there.
     
  12. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,547
    Likes Received:
    1,009
    It's always possible that any injury that keeps him out of USNA might also keep him out of NROTC. Filing for FAFSA covers all bases. I wouldn't expect this to be a very likely scenario but it's not a lot of extra effort either.
     
    yogamaster likes this.
  13. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,547
    Likes Received:
    1,009
    From here: http://www20.csueastbay.edu/prospective/cost-and-financial-aid/frequently-asked-questions/
     
  14. ca2midwestmom

    ca2midwestmom Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    1,282
    Likes Received:
    179
    I thought FAFSA deadlines were by state, but maybe it's a combination of state and individual college deadline? Always best to check with the college financial aid office just to be sure.
    https://fafsa.ed.gov/fotw1516/pdf/Deadlines.pdf
     
  15. USNAco2019hopeful

    USNAco2019hopeful Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2014
    Messages:
    250
    Likes Received:
    76
    Thanks for answering the question
     
  16. Pima

    Pima Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    Messages:
    12,809
    Likes Received:
    956
    NROTC does not cover the entire cost of college. The bill from the bursar is two parts....tuition and R &B. Room and Board can be very expensive, in some cases maybe more than tuition. Even if you get merit it might not be enough.
     
  17. USMAROTCFamily

    USMAROTCFamily Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2013
    Messages:
    630
    Likes Received:
    172
    Well, we have run into a real issue with having a viable "Plan B" for DS. DS plans on accepting an appointment to USNA or USMA. He has also received NROTC and AROTC Scholarships. We had intended to have his deposit to one of his financial safety schools (one that has offered him full tuition merit scholarships) and request that his AROTC scholarship be transferred to this same school. This would have allowed him to enroll at this school, if he got injured prior to I-day, to still attend this school next fall and possible this use the AROTC scholarship to cover his room and board. Or if he were injured during plebe summer (after already relinquishing his scholarship by reporting to the academy) to at least still go to this back up university with tuition covered. The problem comes in with our school guidance counselor. (We ran into an issue last year with the counselor last year with our daughter when it was coming down to the wire with her to have to decide on schools and her DODMERB was not resolved yet for her NROTC scholarship, but thought it was a non-issue this year). We had thought there were special rules in place when it comes to Service Academies, due to the unique nature of the medical component that would allow a student to submit an enrollment deposit at a back-up school after accepting the appointment to an Academy. We all have talked about the issues the have arisen in the past that are very real concerns for all of us parents. She has said that there are no special rules regarding this and it is a violation of the agreements our children signed on their common app, which precludes students from effectively enrolling in two colleges after May 1st. Because of the ethics involved in this, she said she would refuse to send the final transcript to DS's backup school, which is a requirement to complete the enrollment packet at the backup school. So even if we were to pay the enrolment deposit, her refusal to release the official transcript to the school, would nullify the enrollment to the back up school. She said that if something happened to DS and he could not report to I-day, as a result of an injury, or if injured during basic, then we could then petition the schools to still allow admittance.. She said, " Worst case scenario may mean an alternate option for a semester and reapply for a mid year admit if they can’t get him in in the fall." Well, in this worst case scenario, I believe he would be forfeiting his freshman merit scholarships, as they are typically only offered for Fall Freshman admits. Because of this, I'm almost thinking, in a worst case scenario, it would be better for him to take a gap year and not attend any college next year, as even community college would not allow him to be considered as a true freshman the following year. He could then get a job reapply to colleges, again as a first-time freshman, so that he qualify for all Freshman Scholarships. What we believe we will do, it put a request in writing to the Director of Admissions, spelling out absolutely everything, to see if they would agree, in writing, to allow him to "double deposit" with a full understading of the complete picture. Then with their permission, the Guidance Counselor would be willing to send the transcript.
     
    JShawshank likes this.
  18. falconchic88

    falconchic88 Member

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Messages:
    864
    Likes Received:
    176
    UUGGH, I would not be happy about this! I don't think your counselor is correct in that your son did not use the common app for the service academies, therefor, you are only putting deposit down on one school from common app. I would take this above the counselors head and talk to Principal and School Board if Necessary. If you or DS request final transcripts be sent, its her job to do it. Also agree with talking to Director of Admissions at the school.
     
    Zmansmom likes this.
  19. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,547
    Likes Received:
    1,009
    USMAROTCFamily.... I'd start working it up the chain, starting with the principal and working up to the school district superintendant. Don't know id you'll get satisfaction but this simply seems like a power play by the guidance counselor.

    You might also speak to admissions at the college, explain the situation, and see what they have to say. Who knows, maybe they'll waive the need for the transcript.
     
    COmom likes this.
  20. USMAROTCFamily

    USMAROTCFamily Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2013
    Messages:
    630
    Likes Received:
    172
    We won't have any recourse through our school, or our school district to fight this. This is a very small Charter School, that is part of a broader college prep academy network. The "district" schools are members of the National Association of College Admission Counseling (NACAC). NACAC states " You may confirm your intention to enroll and, if required, submit a deposit to only one college or university. The exception to this arises if you are put on a wait list by a college or university and are later admitted to the institution. You may accept the offer and send a deposit. However, you must immediately notify a college or university at which you previously indicated your intention to enroll." Our Counselor is the head counselor for the entire "district" so she is extremely well respected and they have had multiple kids from the network go to Service Academies, generally several every year, so this is not the first time they have had a kid in this situation. We will focus our efforts on dealing with the admission folks at the plan B school directly, to see if we can make some headway there with our openness and honesty with them.
     
    COmom, kayaker and kinnem like this.

Share This Page