If you've accepted an appointment, is ROTC out?

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by Shelbyboyz, Apr 16, 2011.

  1. Shelbyboyz

    Shelbyboyz Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2010
    Messages:
    69
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have read on this forum that some people accept their rotc scholarships and even put down deposits at their "plan B" schools as a kind of insurance policy in case of an injury or any other situation that would cause their DS/DD to lose their offer at a SA. In the paperwork that DS received notifying him of a 4 yr NROTC scholarship, it says "if you enroll in any other U.S. military officer accession program prior to reporting to the NROTC unit, you automatically forfeit your NROTC scholarship." DS has accepted his appointment to USMA and so I am taking it that this means he is enrolled and thus forfeits the scholarship? We are not trying to be greedy, but did want to have an option in case of a disaster :eek:

    The paperwork has to be returned by the 20th, so I appreciate any help/guidance :smile:
     
  2. marciemi

    marciemi USMA Alumnus

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1,481
    Likes Received:
    0
    My understanding is that the ROTC scholarship becomes null (assuming you've accepted it in the meantime) once you are officially sworn in on R/I day at an academy (or enlisted or in any other way joined an Armed Service). Until that time you technically could continue to hold it in case something happened (illness, change of heart, etc.) but you could NOT during Beast, etc. However, when we talked to the scholarship office last year (this was for AFROTC) they did tell him that if he didn't decline it by May 31, that they could not reuse it for someone else and effectively the scholarship would be lost. Since we figured there was little chance of him getting hurt seriously enough in those last 3 weeks or so that it would prevent him from going to USAFA but still allow ROTC, and that he was unlikely to change his mind if he hadn't over the previous many months, we just went ahead and declined it. From talking to Ms. Parker at NROTC, it sounds like each year they have many scholarship offers that they don't know will be declined until they get the lists from the academies of who actually showed up for I/R day and never bothered telling them. But I am certain that taking the oath revokes the scholarship - you couldn't drop out of Beast and still use your scholarship for ROTC.
     
  3. P-Flying17

    P-Flying17 Member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2010
    Messages:
    163
    Likes Received:
    0
    Shelby is right. You can accept both, but step foot on the grounds of the Academy for even a day and it is an automatic declination of your ROTC scholarship.
     
  4. OhioStateDad

    OhioStateDad Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    Messages:
    62
    Likes Received:
    0
    However, when we talked to the scholarship office last year (this was for AFROTC) they did tell him that if he didn't decline it by May 31, that they could not reuse it for someone else and effectively the scholarship would be lost.[/QUOTE]

    That being said, I wish those that are holding ROTC scholarships as "Insurance" would reliquish them so that other deserving qualified candidates could have their dream of serving as an Officer in the military come true. Specially this year when the number has been cut back so drastically.
     
  5. Shelbyboyz

    Shelbyboyz Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2010
    Messages:
    69
    Likes Received:
    0
    If I am understanding this correctly then, just accepting your appointment does not mean you are enrolled. Only when DS checks in at R-day he is considered enrolled and thus loses the ROTC scholarship. I also see the point about declining the scholarship by May 31st so it can be used by someone else :thumb:

    Thanks much!
     
  6. marciemi

    marciemi USMA Alumnus

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1,481
    Likes Received:
    0
    Shelby - that's how I understand it. But I just wanted to clarify that the May 31 date is one that my son was told by AFROTC last year. I have no idea if it's certain, or if the other branches use the same date or even continue to award (or not award) scholarships after the last board. Seems like even the academies are changing this year and not automatically giving out another appointment each time one is declined so I don't know if ROTC has changed as well. Just don't want people thinking it's okay to wait until right before then and then decline and still not have it help, or rush to decline when it wouldn't make a difference.
     
  7. Shelbyboyz

    Shelbyboyz Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2010
    Messages:
    69
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks marciemi, I will double check on the dates and the info. At least this gives me a starting point. The way I read the letter, I thought DS was automatically dq'd because he accepted his appointment.
     
  8. marciemi

    marciemi USMA Alumnus

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1,481
    Likes Received:
    0
    Shelby - you made me curious so I pulled out my son's AFROTC packet from last year. (Again, this is AF, not Navy). In that one it says in writing "You can accept your Air Force ROTC scholarship even if you have already accepted a scholarship from another service branch or an appointment to any service academy. Once you enlist (ie enroll and sign a formal contract) in an ROTC program of another service branch or military academy, however, you forfeit your Air Force ROTC scholarship."

    Edited to add that because I was STILL curious (and it's snowing steadily outside with 40mph winds so not much else to do!), I pulled out son #2's NROTC scholarship info from this year. It says "If you enroll in any other US military officer accession program to include service academies prior to reporting to the NROTC unit, you authomatically forfeit your NROTC scholarship. (Example: If you receive an apopintment to, enroll in and drop from the US Naval Academy in early summer, you cannot reclaim your NROTC scholarship -- even if you were enrolled for only one day.)"

    So it sounds like they both agree. I can't find any kind of specific date though in the NROTC one - only that you must accept the scholarship by the "respond by" date listed.
     
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  9. Pima

    Pima Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    Messages:
    12,807
    Likes Received:
    950
    There was a poster here awhile back, and if I recall correctly, their DS accepted USNA over NROTC, however, within days he decided it was not a fit. He contacted NROTC and the school, and managed to get the scholarship back, but they waited weeks for the answer, they had to get approval to re-activate it.

    The issue for you is that was a few yrs back, and now with the budget and the economy I am not sure these options will be as easy as they were yrs ago. It has not only become highly competitive for the SA's, but also the ROTC scholarship program.

    The reason many take plan B, by paying a deposit, which the NROTC poster did was the in case problem at BCT. That is also why many say to pay it, because if you look at it from a different perspective it is still a win-win.

    You pay 300 bucks to hold the spot, if they stay after BCT you lost 300, but still you are not paying tuition. If they are one of the 5% that do not graduate from BCT than they have a spot at Plan B College. Yes, you may not get the scholarship, but the question that you need to answer is what than?

    I can say it is rare that they get medically turned back or leave BCT, but it does happen. These parents will post on this forum for direction. Reason why? Because they didn't pay a deposit and now their child's only option is Community college. Nothing wrong with a CC, but if they are a medical turnback, than they have to deal with their child's emotions and medical issues, plus running around in August to get them into classes they need at the level of the SA. If they left voluntarily, it is still an emotional issue, and now they went from an Ivy league standard to a CC while their buds are packing up to go to their plan A. Remember these kids are 18, emotions are every where on the scale, and vary second by second.

    21 yrs as an AD wife, and I will say we always planned and plotted for the "what if". It was seen as insurance to us. I guess that is where I started living by the cliche "hope for the best, be prepared for the worst".

    I am not trying to be raincloud. I am just saying, always keep plan B alive until you need to make a new plan B. Accept the appointment, just pay the deposit. Ask yourself, what if? Will your DS be able to adjust back if he has to go to CC? Will you be able to pay without a scholarship. Contrary to belief, you can apply for FAFSA in Aug for an incoming student, plus, most if not all universities now offer 0% int monthly payments. For our kid because they made Dean's list 1st sem. freshman they opened up more scholarships only eligible to them. There are multitude of ways of paying if you have to go Plan B short notice. I also know many parents who have a strong credit score that they take those 0% interest credit cards to pay for fall, and than they apply for a private loan for their children with the bank, I think they stated it takes about 3 weeks to implement. (Not sure, just what the kids have said) Talk to his plan B school now, and the CoC, see if they can also place a plan B in place for the what if. They maybe able to assist you more than you can imagine.

    Good luck
     
  10. Shelbyboyz

    Shelbyboyz Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2010
    Messages:
    69
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks Pima and marciemi....I agree with the philosophy "hope for the best, be prepared for the worst".
     

Share This Page