Last but not least

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by plmmar, Apr 21, 2010.

  1. plmmar

    plmmar Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    0
    Here's to all those out there still quietly waiting for a scholarship.
    The posts have become quiet because those that already know are happily making arrangements for their future and those still waiting are holding their breath hoping they will still be one of the lucky ones.
    It will certainly be nice to know one way or the other so we can get on with things. For AROTC it could be as long as May 30th before we know one way or the other.
    I had this misconception that once I got my kids successfully off to college my work was done-ha! Their decisions and choices still affect (effect?-never got those straight) our lives as well-
    So we wait and put everything on hold until their future gets resolved.
     
  2. Gameface

    Gameface Member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    Holding my breath.
     
  3. Mel2001

    Mel2001 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks, we're still quietly waiting here in SoCal for an AROTC, but moving forward w/registration at one of our local state universities. It doesn't help that the Cadet Command website has been offline more than online this past week, lol!
     
  4. Tina

    Tina Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2010
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0
    Still waiting here, but not optimistic at this point.

    I do wish they would, at the very least, send out an email or postcard saying thanks for applying but you're not receiving an offer. At least there would be some closure and we could move on and concentrate on next year.

    Good luck to all those still waiting!
     
  5. plmmar

    plmmar Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes, if we don't hear something by April 30th will be putting deposit down at local U here in Fl. That's plan C at this point.
    Plan B will be pursuing a campus-based scholarship if CC falls through.
    Where applying in SoCal?
    There's four of us so far.
     
  6. Mel2001

    Mel2001 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    0
    DS will go to Cal State University San Marcos, where he's already been accepted, and do AROTC there (which is run through San Diego State University, where DS was denied admittance because we live outside the boundary for that school, lol).

    DS was also accepted to UofA Tucson & ASU Tempe, but we're not going to pay the deposits for either school since we can't afford the out-of-state tuition ($21K/year vs. only $5K/year for CSU San Marcos).

    DS didn't designate a technical major on his AROTC scholarship, so that could be why he wasn't selected...yet. He put Russian for his UofA/ASU schools and Spanish for CSUSM (since Russian isn't offered at that school).

    DS has e-mailed the PMS at UofA & talked w/PMS at ASU that he's still interested, but hasn't heard back from those schools....
     
  7. bdaMom

    bdaMom Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    0
    We make five still waiting. All set with Reserves and SMP at in-state school if nothing happens here.
     
  8. plmmar

    plmmar Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    0
    DS has e-mailed the PMS at UofA & talked w/PMS at ASU that he's still interested, but hasn't heard back from those schools....[/QUOTE]

    Mel, Could be that they are waiting on the results of last board. I know our school won't start awarding the campus-based scholarships until the summer.
     
  9. HMQ

    HMQ Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    0
    ^^
    Chiming in as #6! Son has been accepted to all his first choices, and has decided on the "one" (and only) he wants to attend, knowing that they have no more scholarship slots left. Holding off on sending in the deposit, in the hope that if he does get a scholarship he *may* be able to get it transferred to #1 choice. In any case, he has also been told he can apply for campus-based in the fall.

    Good luck to all - I appreciate your company in the waiting room!
     
  10. havana brown

    havana brown Member

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2010
    Messages:
    69
    Likes Received:
    0
    We looked into the split option SMP where they go to BCT the summer after senior year and then one year of college followed with AIT, but son doesn't graduate until late June and doesn't have enough time before starting college to go. :frown: We will probably talk to a recruiter about possibly doing it the following summer.

    Son was pretty much told a few weeks ago that he wasn't awarded scholarship. But they said that March was the last Board, which I know is not correct. They did say that all there scholarships have been awarded as well as campus based.
     
  11. Just_A_Mom

    Just_A_Mom Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2006
    Messages:
    4,826
    Likes Received:
    2
    havana brown - he can go between first and second years in college. He should talk to the ROTC folks once he gets to his college. Some colleges have a lot of SMP cadets, others don't have any.
     
  12. havana brown

    havana brown Member

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2010
    Messages:
    69
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you. That would be ideal.
     
  13. HwtDad

    HwtDad Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0
    Here's one more in the waiting room (would compare it to when my son was born, but I was in the room with my wife for all 30 hours of labor...)

    Just FYI, interviewers for both AROTC and NROTC (2-3 months ago) said to expect word on scholarship by first of May. Have sort of "hung our hat" on that, but sounds like we'll just have to be prepared to be more flexible about when we hear. It happens when it happens, and God will provide, either way.

    Going to do follow-up calls soon with all the PMSs at the top schools for both branches, see what they say about slots left at their schools & potential for campus-based scholarships.

    Thinking that if an award doesn't come this spring, we might have him work (taking class to get Certified Pharmacy Technician credential by June) and go to jr-college part-time, and re-apply for the 4-year program: my understanding is that if he doesn't a) earn more than 30 hours of college credit, or b) join an ROTC unit on a college campus, that re-applying is do-able. Perhaps next year will be a bit less competitive, and he'll have a chance to add some things to his application (that CPT credential for one) - plus hopefully some GREAT juco grades, and re-take the SAT / ACT to hopefully pull down a better score there, too.

    Anybody know anything about Nursing option - how competitive that is / what it looks like this year?

    Any thought on any of this, from anyone? Talking amongst ourselves is certainly better than checking the status websites 8 times a day....:smile:

    thx for listening, and good luck to all.
     
  14. plmmar

    plmmar Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sounds like we all have good back up plans and options-there really are quite a few different ones available. It's interesting to see the different courses people are taking.
     
  15. plmmar

    plmmar Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    0
    Okay, looks like we have a little longer to wait.:frown:
    Spoke to CC and contact there says they hope to have results of April board by Friday next week (Apr 30) then the letters would go out first week of May.
     
  16. burton09

    burton09 Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Heres what the Colonel at VT told me. I was late with my app because I had initially planned to go Navy but St. Jean changed my mind. haha.

    "I'm told it will be the very end of the month before the results of the board will be out so hang in there. To answer your question about reserves vs on-campus scholarship; if you don't receive a four year scholarship offer, my recommendation would be to try for an on campus scholarship first and if that is not looking good by your freshman spring semester, then we start looking at a Guard or Reserve option and SMP for your soph thru senior years."

    So pretty much if you need to put a deposit down and you dont know about a scholarship yet, you might need to ask for an extension.
     
  17. cjs

    cjs Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    Messages:
    668
    Likes Received:
    3
    Don't forget that you can check the status on the website and it will be there before the letter arrives.
     
  18. Gameface

    Gameface Member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    If I hold my breath any longer I'll be dead before I get notice. Just kidding.
     

Share This Page