Multiple Deposits?

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by jojmarie12, Apr 26, 2010.

  1. jojmarie12

    jojmarie12 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    So sorry this might be a dumb question... but I'm still waiting to hear on the transfer of an ROTC scholarship to school #1. Is it LEGAL to deposit and confirm enrollment at more than one school? I've been hearing both ways.

    I tried calling both schools to see if this is okay but could not get definite answers. The only people I could speak with were those who didn't seem like they really knew either way and were not really in charge of anything.

    I don't really know what else to do, I heard Cadet Command won't be sending the letter until mid-May and the college deadline is May 1st...

    Thanks
     
  2. goaliedad

    goaliedad Parent

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1,601
    Likes Received:
    35
    Unless both schools' admissions say you can, you cannot do that. I have yet to find a school that will allow it. Every one I've heard about will tell you that it will result in the revokation of your admission.

    That being said, many schools admissions will grant you a limited extension for your decision with a good reason being the anticipation of a scholarship.

    Talk to admissions to see what your options are.
     
  3. aglages

    aglages Parent

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,680
    Likes Received:
    4
    I've have read on this site that if you make deposits to more than one school you may not only lose at least one of your deposits but may be denied admission to both schools. The only validation that I can find for that possibility is if both schools use the Common Application for admissions. I believe there is an agreement in that application to not deposit to more than one school. I have difficultly believing that you can be penalized (revocation of your admission) by non-common app colleges unless you have specifically agreed to that clause/term somewhere in the admissions process. However, I have been wrong before, so a couple of phone calls to colleges that you are considering sending deposits might not be a bad idea.
     
  4. plmmar

    plmmar Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    0
    So far, #1 school has no problem with multiple deposits. Still waiting for #2 school's response.
     
  5. HwtDad

    HwtDad Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0
    It's your money / your "ticket to college" that's at stake, so you have to make your own decision, but....

    - since the money is non-refundable, I don't see where the schools have recourse to cancel your acceptance: you were willing to put the money at risk, what else could the school(s) ask for but that you forfeit the deposit if you decide (for WHATEVER reason) not to go?

    - since we are all waiting on the direction of CC regarding where they want us to go, I think the schools HAVE to be accomodating about the delay.

    FYI, so far ALL the schools we've spoken to have granted extensions past May 1st (just want an answer ASAP when we hear / decide)

    Best wishes, and....don't let them push you around! ;-)
     
  6. goaliedad

    goaliedad Parent

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1,601
    Likes Received:
    35
    As to the policing of "double depositing", I believe it comes through the same mechanisms that govern Binding Early Decision. Basically, your guidance office, when presented 2 requests for final transcripts (triggered by your double acceptance) is required to notify the schools of the situation. If the student had a binding ED acceptance, they are required to report other admissions activity.

    If they fail to do this, they risk having future applicants rejected - not acceptable.
     
  7. goaliedad

    goaliedad Parent

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1,601
    Likes Received:
    35
    Glad to hear that the schools are being flexible with you with regards to extensions. Schools that aren't over-enrolled generally are, as more revenue is generally better. Highly competitive schools however, can be less patient.

    Doing it the right way is always the best. Something that will be reinforced throughout the military career.
     
  8. Gumtech

    Gumtech Member

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2010
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    0
    no go here!

    Washington State just emailed that they cannot hold a spot open for DD past the May 1st deadline because of others waiting for a spot. DD first choice school for NROTC if she gets it. Now what (laugh):mad:
     
  9. AROTC Parent

    AROTC Parent Member

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2009
    Messages:
    324
    Likes Received:
    83
    Gumtech-
    Pay the $200 and hope for the best. Talk to the back up schools for an extension or deposit to more than one school. Good Luck
     
  10. aglages

    aglages Parent

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,680
    Likes Received:
    4
    I checked with my children's guidance department this afternoon and they said:
    1. They have NO obligation to keep track of how many final transcripts are requested
    2, They are NOT required to notify ANYONE of the situation
    3. They have no idea which students enter into binding ED agreements with colleges.
    It was their opinion that the only issues with multiple deposits (other than losing them) were through common application schools and they had no requirements to the common application process (other than confirming information on the common app form). They were amazed at the concept of other students from our high school being penalized by colleges because some student put down multiple deposits and they didn't discover and "report" it.
     
  11. goaliedad

    goaliedad Parent

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1,601
    Likes Received:
    35
    From talking to my daughter's GC, they are required to sign off to the school on binding ED contracts which tells them they are required to stop sending transcripts to other institutions. While the threat of future action is only implicit, I am told that no "professional" in the field would dream of hurting their school's reputation with these top schools.

    And they won't send final transcripts to a second school unless they are aware of a waitlist situation (either keeping position on a waitlist or dropping first school because of a waitlist acceptance) unless the proper withdrawal letter is sent. They do it out of a professional respect for the schools admissions departments.
     
  12. aglages

    aglages Parent

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,680
    Likes Received:
    4
    Again, I can only repeat what I have been told. Perhaps the only "binding ED contracts" are ones that in involve the Common Application schools? That said, it still doesn't address multiple deposits in April that certainly cannot be considered ED acceptances.
    "Professional respect" for a college admission department? Considering MANY of the slimy practices that college admissions departments engage in while attempting to recruit 17 & 18 year olds, I don't personally think they deserve professional respect. If it is clear when you make your deposit that it is non-refundable after a certain date....fine. You pays your money and takes your chances. But dis-enrollment? No way. I am delighted that MY guidance department is aware of who the customer is and who is footing the bill instead of extending unwarranted professional courtesies. Just my opinion....
     
  13. cjs

    cjs Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    Messages:
    668
    Likes Received:
    3
    This is from an article that was in the Washington Post.

    What many of these students and their parents don’t know is that double depositing is a violation of their responsibilities as established by the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC). The reason many of them don’t know they are in violation is that they have never heard about this or any other “responsibility” and have no idea who or what NACAC is. But students need to understand that double-depositing is wrong.

    A college that discovers a double depositor is within its rights to withdraw that individual’s offer of admission.

    There was also an article in the New York Times about this same thing.

    Many of the issues also have to do with financial aid so that plays a big part in the situation.
     
  14. cjs

    cjs Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    Messages:
    668
    Likes Received:
    3
    My son's guidance department will send out one final transcript. The kids are to fill out a form the week prior to graduation which is the end of May.

    If their situation changes they may go back up to the school and request another transcript sent, but one final transcript is all that is allowed to be requested unless the student is formally waitlisted.
     
  15. plmmar

    plmmar Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    0
    That's our first choice school for AROTC. Made our deposit(fyi-not refundable) last week and signed up for orientation in June. Hoping we get word this week on national scholarship. If not, shooting for campus-based.
    Can't afford without scholarship so taking a risk.
     
  16. jojmarie12

    jojmarie12 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    Wow thanks for all the help and input! I didn't expect so many responses.

    Seems like people have a lot of conflicting ideas about what is okay and what is not. I talked to my guidance counselor today and she said that it is not technically okay, try not to let them find out, and also it is a pretty solid reason so they should be okay with it.

    Pretty ridiculous how long we have to wait to hear anything while the May 1st deadline comes and goes and we have no idea? Just feeling incredibly impatient and frustrated..
     
  17. HwtDad

    HwtDad Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've tried to hold my tongue, particularly as my child's future isn't on the line like that of others here, but....

    I am sorry, but I don't buy ANY of this. If we let colleges try to set all the rules about this, then I think we deserve what we get. And while I respect that cjs did the research to get quotes from respected newspapers like the Post and the "Gray Lady" I for one don't think their opinions are especially worth all that much. YOU are just as much a part of the process, with things just as important on the line as those colleges have. Why should THEY get to "call all the shots" on this?

    The ONLY argument that carries any weight with me (so far) is thinking that there's some OTHER kid that's on a waiting list, and they are holding off making a decision until the last moment because they SO MUCH want to get in, but somebody ELSE is accepted at 8 different Ivy League schools and doesn't want to give up every chance they might possibly find to beat out the absolute maximum number of people they can. And that OTHER kid is the one that deserves a break, and I ought to be considerate of them & clear a spot for them just as quickly as I possibly can.

    Now, don't get me wrong: I too am a parent, and I will fight to the end to get my kid the absolute best start in life that I can help them get. But I also know that he would be BLESSED to get the chance to go to ANY of the schools to which he's been accepted, and we will be GRATEFUL should he be so fortunate as to get an ROTC scholarship which enables him to go to any one of them.

    For those of you on the horns of a dilemma as to what offers to accept, first you have my congratulations for having such an outstanding student that they have been given all these awards and have all these opportunities available to them. I'm sure they deserve all the accolades there are for all the hard work they put in to get to this position, and I wish them all the best as they take the next steps into their well-deserved future.

    But then, please think: pick ANY one of those schools to which your child is accepted, and consider - if that was the ONLY option your child had, wouldn't you think you were blessed? Wouldn't you think you SHOULD consider yourself blessed? Go for the best you can, sure, but maybe we shouldn't try to care about whether they just got a $1,000,000 gift or a $1,000,001 gift? Be grateful for the $1M, is all I'm saying.

    And maybe, let's stand up to these hoity-toity schools who seem to think WAAAAYYYY too much of themselves!

    The very best to all those waiting on pins & needles....
     
  18. plmmar

    plmmar Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    0
    Back up school allowing us to extend deposit deadline-
    for a liitle while.
     
  19. cjs

    cjs Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    Messages:
    668
    Likes Received:
    3

    that's wonderful. I truly hope it all works out for you.
     
  20. cjs

    cjs Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    Messages:
    668
    Likes Received:
    3
    I didn't do the research for this board, we have a family friend that is in the same situation as many on this board and my son has 2 friends who are still waiting for the results from this last board. What I wrote wasn't the papers opinions but an excerpt from the articles and was the NACAC's position on double depositing for what it's worth.

    As far as the situation down here, the boys have been told to ask for extensions, not to double deposit as they may lose their spots.

    One school down here has a long list of many waiting for appeals, waiting to see if their term can be changed as they were offered spring or summer not fall as they requested. I know many kids in this boat. Double depositing when state schools is a no-no and you can lose your spot. Doesn't mean that many don't do it, but you can lose out if they find out.

    I'm so sorry for all of those who still waiting for a scholarship decision. It's such a stressful time deciding upon colleges. Hopefully everyone gets the outcome that they desire.
     

Share This Page