Need help interpreting this...

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by singaporemom, Oct 31, 2009.

  1. singaporemom

    singaporemom Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    884
    Likes Received:
    6
    Okay, my son had plans to attend USAFA and right before he was to take the CFA, he broke his collarbone. Cannot complete before deadline...too risky to begin training for pullups and pushups until February. Dreams squashed, life goes on, applied for AROTC,AFROTC, and NROTC and 6 colleges.

    During the summer he received phone calls and emails from the Blue and Gold officer in our area trying to woo him to the USNA. Son waffled a bit, but decided to just stick to one Academy. He's now in NJROTC and enjoying it, and has said No to many attempts to get him to apply. Admissions counselor from USNA has called showing interest, NJROTC instructor is needling him, and Blue and Gold Officer called again this week. Wanting to know if he has changed his mind about USAFA. Son has been a bit surprised by all of this interest. BG officer is in talks with USNA to see if there can be some leniency on the physical exam (not holding out too much hope on that one...) to take once he's able.

    Should he just be flattered and laugh this off, or consider this interest real and seriously reconsider the USNA?
     
  2. KP13Mom

    KP13Mom Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2009
    Messages:
    245
    Likes Received:
    1
    If it were just 1 contact, I'd say yes, stick with the original plan but after several attempts, I'd suggest at least researching the opportunities. Good luck!
     
  3. singaporemom

    singaporemom Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    884
    Likes Received:
    6
    "Usna is interested", according to email from BGO just a minute ago. There is a waiver son can apply for to delay testing, which will 'most likely be granted'

    BGO had called into USNA yesterday to clarify testing and the fact that Son had already applied early decision to another school. Son's head is spinning right now.
     
  4. mom3boys

    mom3boys Parent

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2007
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    232
    Son should check w/ AFA to see if there is any kind of delay available with them as well. Just because they are not chasing after him as much does not mean a thing.
     
  5. jscam87

    jscam87 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Messages:
    223
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey, if he doesn't want Navy, can't swim, whatever, then by all means turn it down.
    Since he is in Navy JROTC, you can at least understand the follow up.
    If he wanted to attend a Service Academy, this looks like a way in. He must have done something right and have a nice NJROTC endorsement to boot. Doesn't sound like he wants it.
    Laugh it off. He has already said no several times. Sounds like it is Air Force all the way. ROTC has some great programs. Hope he gets well soon.
     
  6. singaporemom

    singaporemom Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    884
    Likes Received:
    6
    He's meeting with BGO tomorrow. He had put all academies out of his head because of his injury and definite deadline with AFA,no waiver. As he has been interviewing NROTC units at the schools on his list he's become more interested in Nuclear Engineering. He had figured that he'd wait to see what school he got into, see what rotc offers came his way and take the time between now and then to learn alot more about each branch. Each one has different things to offer. We'll just have to see what this guy says tomorrow.
     
  7. America's Finest

    America's Finest USMA Cadet

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    Messages:
    1,588
    Likes Received:
    0
    Research your opportunities. You can't go wrong with that.
     
  8. PAParentUSNA

    PAParentUSNA Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Messages:
    57
    Likes Received:
    0
    good question.

    Mom,

    Tough question, but any Academy must be something your student really wants.
    Speaking with admission officers from W.P and USNA, nothing they hate more then a cadet/midship that joins a respective class, and "processes out" for the regimented life is not what they thought.
    If your son wants NROTC or AFROTC and the whole college experience, then he should pursue that dream.
    The Summer seminars are a great way to get a real taste of the academies and can make the prospective cadet/midshipmen really see if the Academies are the right choice.
    This is tough (in my opinion) for a few of the individuals I met processing out really were in "love" with the academies during the admission process , but hated it once they got there. One cadet I talked to admitted that he went to W.P because his father pushed him to over a Notre Dame ROTC program and he regretted not choosing his choice.
    I would say if your son really does not want to go to a academy, he should stick to the universities if this will make him happy.
    I can say for sure, any academies admissions HATE when someone processes out because it took a spot of a candidate that maybe was just a little less on the application, but would have grasped the opportunity and thrived.
    Take him for a visit to the academies and let him talk with the cadets. There are quite a few on this blog that can help.
     
  9. singaporemom

    singaporemom Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    884
    Likes Received:
    6
    Son went to USAFA summer seminar, and has visited WP. He wanted the academy experience until his injury and then spent a day depressed and moved on to deal with the reality of his injury. He had a rough beginning to his Senior year and can just now drive himself to school. We avoided surgery (pins and rods) by being very careful and following every doctor's order. He now has a fused and straight collarbone and can start working out, minus the pullups and pushups. That was our top priority. I think the fog is lifting and he has his confidence back. All ROTC programs allowed a waiver for the fitness exam and he didn't realize that USNA had a waiver to apply for. He's now very excited to talk to the BGO. I'm not so excited......another round of paperwork to worry about and more waiting. He's better at the worry and stress than I am. Son submits the docs, has the interviews and then moves onto the next task.

    Curious as to what the BGO will say today. Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
     
  10. 2012mom?

    2012mom? Member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    2
    So, singaporemom, how did the talk with the BGO go?

    BTW, you've mentioned the CFA, but I don't remember any mention of nominations. Did your son get applications in for academy nominations?
     
  11. singaporemom

    singaporemom Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    884
    Likes Received:
    6
    Well, it was a very interesting afternoon.

    After receiving the email from BGO asking if son would reconsider USNA, son saying yes he'd reconsider, BGO changing his plans to talk to son on his way to airport on Sunday...after telling us USNA was interested...we didn't know what to expect...

    BGO was a very nice man (aren't they all?), but a USMMA grad, not USNA grad. He had us watch the video about USNA and plebe summer and made sure I understood my son could go to war. We watched the movie which didn't tell us anything we hadn't already learned and I assured him I knew what being in the military meant. The next hour was full of stories about other candidates mingled in with things that son needed to do. Finish application, etc etc. This was stuff we already knew. We were most curious about how to delay the fitness test due to the injury and the answer was kindof indirect...not quite sure what to do there.

    Son's only question was how to turn his love of Math and Chinese into a career in the Navy. BGO didn't have a good answer other than 'look on the internet'. So son didn't ask anymore questions since it would spur another round of stories about other people.

    My husband was there and is Navy Reserve, and wasn't too happy with the entire situation. BGO told son to hurry up and finish his application and then told him he takes about 3 weeks to submit his interview. huh?

    It was just a very strange meeting. Didn't ask about son's activities, leaderships, interests. all of us were pretty perplexed.

    BUT, at least the congressman's office agreed to reopen his file and put USNA as his choice...interview next week. Don't know yet about senators.

    So..... Monday comes and son hits submit on his application...guidance counselor does her part, transcripts are mailed, scores are sent in..teachers agreed to hurry up and write their letters.

    NROTC communicates with USNA on prospects that they feel may be a good fit for the Academy. Someone wanted son looked at...so he was looked at.
    We'll just see what happens next!

    Early Decision notification will be coming in December, so if son gets in to that school, the decision will be made for him. This has been a whirlwind, but what is meant to be is meant to be.

    Kinda good..kinda so so.
     
  12. parkhurst89

    parkhurst89 Member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Messages:
    141
    Likes Received:
    0
    I sent you a PM.

    Chinese and Math? Both very strong major at USNA. Chinese and Arabic were added to the curriculum three years ago and are taught by some of the top professors from within the US and beyond.

    Your son's injury is a dilemma but I would let the admissions process run its course. If found medically disqualified the admissions board could grant him a wavier. Regardless, my advice is to never give up trying to obtain an offer of appointment until USNA turns your son down.
     

Share This Page