Need some advice for Back-up school

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by ctkttww, Apr 8, 2015.

  1. ctkttww

    ctkttww Member

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2013
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    9
    My son has been appointed to USNA and has accepted. We have not notified his back-up school (a state U that awarded him a full academic scholarship) that he will not be attending yet. I'd like to wait to let them know till after I-day, just to make sure. However, we are now receiving paperwork regarding orientation and registration. I'm not sure how to proceed here. Any suggestions?
     
  2. 2018midmom

    2018midmom Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2013
    Messages:
    301
    Likes Received:
    68
    We had the same issue. We called them and explained and they were very accomodating because of the SA angle. Good luck.
     
  3. ahs67

    ahs67 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2013
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    49
    You do what you are comfortable with. In our case we put a deposit on University of Plan B but pretty much just ignored the correspondence regarding orientations, etc.. We let them know shortly after IDay that he would not be attending.
    We did not receive any of the deposit money back but it was cheap insurance in my opinion.
     
  4. Vtmom

    Vtmom Member

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2014
    Messages:
    42
    Likes Received:
    21
    I hear that if you have put down money on a plan B, it may be best to keep that spot open until the last minute, not knowing what may arise during Plebe summer. Injuries, illness, change of heart.... Offers peace of mind knowing that should something happen, they always have Plan B.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?
     
  5. GAXC

    GAXC Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2014
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    20
    I disagree with the above. There are other applicants that are awaiting that full scholarship if your son doesn't take it, so if you're "all in" for USNA, then the right thing to do is relinquish that spot so somebody else can have it.
     
    Va19 and Mom529 like this.
  6. 2018midmom

    2018midmom Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2013
    Messages:
    301
    Likes Received:
    68
    That's what we did-relinquished the money but kept the acceptance. They were happy to help and I think secretly still hoped he would show up on their campus.
     
    Mom529 likes this.
  7. Juvat

    Juvat Member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2014
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    83
    Same issue here. DDs Plan B is University of Florida. Paid non-refundable tuition deposit and housing deposit. Just got an email from them that says if not planning to attend and expect a refund on housing deposit to inform them by May 1st....guess we are not getting housing deposit back bacause we do not plan on informing them that she is not attending till after I day. They also want another $400+ for orientation fees, scheduled for 2 days in late July. Reserved a spot but will not pay those fees. Called the school to explain the situation but it fell on deaf ears. Zero accomodation for military service academy appointees. Kind of sad.
     
  8. ahs67

    ahs67 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2013
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    49
    I guess it boils down to your comfort level. When we were unsure about this very situation, we searched this forum for advice too. My son had an NROTC scholarship last year. He was upfront with the unit at the college he was considering about his appointment as well. They were the ones that told him not to sweat it-that his nrotc scholarship was voided the day he entered USNA, if that was where he decided to go. They assured him nrotc scholarships don't go to waste. They also told him in the event he sustained a prohibiting injury before IDAY, he would be turned away from USNA.
    So in conclusion, we followed the advice given by the NROTC unit at Plan B and what we read on this forum.
     
  9. mdn18

    mdn18 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2013
    Messages:
    263
    Likes Received:
    45
    $400 for "orientation fees" ??? That is ridiculous, I mean, what even is an orientation fee? I've spent less on that for books between my first 2 semesters at my school. These cash-strapped state schools still surprise me with the things they try to charge for. I guess that's college but wow that is ridiculous. I don't know why but what they wanted from you (and others students) really strikes a nerve with me.
     
    Juvat likes this.
  10. Juvat

    Juvat Member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2014
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    83
    Exactly. It is a full two days with the new student required to stay overnight on campus. Also includes meals. But still.....Anyway, this is easier to swallow know that this is not more than a low cost insurance policy for the $400K education that awaits her.
     
  11. Vtmom

    Vtmom Member

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2014
    Messages:
    42
    Likes Received:
    21
    Apologies....I wasn't sddressing the scholarship. Was thinking the question was about the acceptance not the scholarship. I agree to turn down scholarship and ask to stay on admit list as long as you can.
     

Share This Page