Presidential Nominations to USNA...

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by MaineGrad86, Feb 5, 2013.

  1. MaineGrad86

    MaineGrad86 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2013
    Messages:
    35
    Likes Received:
    1
    If a candidate has a Presidential nomination to USNA, do they 1) go solely into a pool of other candidates with Presidential noms, 2) go on to a wait list to compete against others with Presidential noms and MOC noms, or 3) it depends?

    Also, what are the timeframes for notification of appointment with the Presidential nom candidates?

    Thanks!
     
  2. 1964BGO

    1964BGO Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2009
    Messages:
    923
    Likes Received:
    16
    Offers to Pres Noms already have been let as early as last fall, and presumably they will continue until at least 15 April... and beyond if necessary.
     
  3. MemberLG

    MemberLG Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,807
    Likes Received:
    444
    I am assuming USNA is similar to USMA, if so inititally the candidate will only compete in the Presidential nomination pool, if he or she doesn't make the cut, to the National Waiting List.
     
  4. usnabgo08

    usnabgo08 USNA 2008/BGO

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2007
    Messages:
    1,827
    Likes Received:
    591
    The best way to think of it is....

    If you have a nomination and are not considered the vacancy winner, everyone goes into the "at-large" national pool. From the remaining spots in that year's class size, 75% of those selected from this national pool MUST come from those who were designated on a MOC nomination list or certain officials for designated U.S. territories. The remaining 25% is from all other sources (Presidential, ROTC/JROTC, etc). Thus, by law, you somewhat increase your odds if you were "nominated" by a MOC; though, a nomination is a nomination. But by law, USNA is regulated on the number of nominations from a particular source.

    If you received a Presidential AND MOC nomination, then you really have done all you could.
     
  5. ProudMomof3

    ProudMomof3 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2013
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    So are you saying all Presidential Noms have already been given out??
     
  6. usna1985

    usna1985 USNA Alumnus

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    4,501
    Likes Received:
    452
    Pres noms are not competitive and there is no limit on the number of noms. If you qualify for one based on your parent(s) service, you get one.

    The limited 100 appointments from Pres noms are competitive. No idea if those have been handed out. As noted above, those with Pres noms who do not get a Pres appointment go to the National Pool.
     
  7. ProudMomof3

    ProudMomof3 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2013
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sorry, I meant appointments from Presidential noms. Thanks for the info.
     
  8. 1964BGO

    1964BGO Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2009
    Messages:
    923
    Likes Received:
    16
    I am NOT saying all Presidential noms have been given out... see USNA 1985's response. I was responding to the part of the question regarding time frame for notification of appointments d/t presidential nom.
     

Share This Page