RA ?

Discussion in 'Coast Guard Academy - USCGA' started by YankeesFan, Mar 29, 2011.

  1. YankeesFan

    YankeesFan Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    Messages:
    96
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello SAFers,

    I have a highly specialized question that you may or may not be able to answer:

    As many of you know, I reapplied to USCGA this year and I should be getting notice of my status some time in the near future (as with all of you). However, I have also been appointed to be a Resident Assistant at UCONN next year.

    I need to accept or decline the position by April 1st or else I automatically lose candidacy. However, I don't know whether or not I will be appointed to USCGA. What should I do?

    For those of you who want to see the terms and conditions of RA:

    http://www.reslife.uconn.edu/docs/employment/RA_JD_9_Month_and_Apts_1011_pdf.pdf
     
  2. trackandfield08

    trackandfield08 USCGA 2014

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    Messages:
    476
    Likes Received:
    84
    Is it possible to accept the position and let your supervisor know that you are still waiting to hear from the Academy on whether or not you are appointed to the class of 2015? They most likely have a list of candidates for RA and can always pick the next one if you were to be accepted. I would try this method first.

    If that is not possible, I guess declining may be the only other option.
     
  3. bossf51

    bossf51 Parent

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    972
    Likes Received:
    0
    Agreed...my daughter who goes to a civilian school had applied to be an RA...didn't get the slot at first...then a kid decided not to do it...and she got the job. I would think they have "backups" available for just such an instance. In any case, I would call the Academy and ask if they could give you a decision soon. We are getting right at deadline.
     
  4. NJSWIM

    NJSWIM New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2011
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    accepting civilian school

    So is it ok to accept and deposit at a civilian school while waiting for a decision from the USCGA and then, if appointed to the USCGA, inform the civilian school that you changed your mind?

    Absolutely! Just keep in mind that whatever deposits you may send to the college might be lost. In our cadet's situation a deposit was sent to VT; a phone call was made explaining the situation, thanking them for the honor of being accepted into the Corps of Cadets and without even asking they offered to refund the deposit.
    What little you might lose in deposits will more than be made up in your "free" :-/ education.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011
  5. Stitch626

    Stitch626 Parent

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    0
    Talk to Admissions at the Plan B College

    Our DD was in a similar position a couple of years ago. She had been accepted at a private college, and they had awarded her several scholarship $$. It was her Plan B college, but she was still waiting to hear from USNA and CGA. They wanted us to put down a deposit to hold her place. I called them and explained the situation. She was still waiting to hear from the service academies. They asked me how long an extension she would need and I think I asked for 2-3 weeks. No problem! (then she got the Scholars offer in the mail the next day! :smile:)

    If you don't ask, you'll never know!
     
  6. am1

    am1 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    1
    Plab B Deposits

    Stitch626,

    Great advice Stich 626!!! Wish you had posted this info about 6 months ago. DS is out (or should I say Dad) Housing Deposit $$$ from two major Fla Univs before getting the CGA Appiontment. Hope the Juniors read this thread as they start their application process.

    Sculler Dad:biggrin:
     
  7. USNA1982BGO

    USNA1982BGO Retired Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    Messages:
    570
    Likes Received:
    0
    ^^^
    Try giving the school's a call and explain the situation. Since it is before the 01 May notification deadline, gently contact the schools and inquire about a refund, you may have a chance at receiving all or part of your deposits. Virginia Tech was nice enough to do this for our cadet.
     

Share This Page