SAT and UW GPA Discrepancy

Discussion in 'Military Academy - USMA' started by 2015?, Oct 15, 2010.

  1. 2015?

    2015? New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello all,

    I have a question about the importance of unweighted GPA. I have a massive gap in my unweighted GPA, weighted GPA, and SAT Scores.

    UW- 3.0
    W - 3.8

    SAT
    -Verbal 720
    -Math 670

    Retook SAT on 10.9.10
    Taking ACT on 10.23.10

    My question is whether or not I will be competitive even with my low UW GPA.

    Thanks for your time,
    2015?
     
  2. scoutpilot

    scoutpilot Member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,276
    Likes Received:
    610
    You've hit upon an important point, and one which was discussed in depth at our regional admissions conference.

    Your GPA, in a numerical sense, does not matter. What matters is how your GPA places you in your class. A GPA is just a number with no context. The class rank your GPA corresponds with is what gives admissions the context in which they view your GPA. If your GPA places you in the bottom half of your class, then yes you should be concerned. If it places you in the top 20% of your class, then you should be less concerned. (Note that I did not say unconcerned.)

    Did you take all three portions of the SAT?
     
  3. 2015?

    2015? New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes, I got a 610 on the writing portion of the SAT.

    My class rank is 157/467

    however, I improved significantly each year and I hope I can redeem myself for my poor placement.

    I got a weighted gpa of about 3.25 freshmen year, 3.625 sophomore year, and 4.3+ junior year.... this year I have straight A's and expect about a 4.8 wgpa for my 7th semester
     
  4. 2015?

    2015? New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    I don't know how relevant this is but I go to the top rated non-magnet public school in NC with an average SAT score of about 1140. 79% of the 2010 class went to 4 year colleges and the majority of the remaining 21% went to 2 year schools.
     
  5. mtnman17

    mtnman17 USMA Appointee 2015

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2010
    Messages:
    392
    Likes Received:
    1
    NCSSM?:biggrin:
     
  6. goldfarb1

    goldfarb1 Candidate

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2009
    Messages:
    357
    Likes Received:
    0
    As noted class rank will be the most important aspect.

    Just to give you an idea....at my school (ranked number 2 in the state to provide some context) 50% of the class has a GPA above 3.5. Rediculous amount of grade inflation.
     
  7. scoutpilot

    scoutpilot Member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,276
    Likes Received:
    610
    Yes, it is relevant. The admissions department does account for the quality of the high school.
     
  8. aglages

    aglages Parent

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,680
    Likes Received:
    4
    Is a high school that has an average M/CR SAT of 1140 (570 each) considered a high/top quality high school?
     
  9. scoutpilot

    scoutpilot Member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,276
    Likes Received:
    610
    I'm sorry, I don't know.
     
  10. freedomtruck

    freedomtruck Member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    0
    SAT's play a large part of USMA Admission's academic consideration because it's standardized, which speaks much louder than your weighted/unweighted GPA or quality of High School that you attend. A 4.0 in Kansas may not be the same 4.0 in New York. Class rank is another large factor.

    @agalges
    To my understanding, SAT scores are not benchmarks of a High School's quality. They may be an indicator, but many other factors such as the percentage of students that go to a 4-year/2-year college will determine the school.
     
  11. scoutpilot

    scoutpilot Member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,276
    Likes Received:
    610
    4-year college attendance is the main metric, but there are other considerations.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
  12. buff81

    buff81 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2008
    Messages:
    2,645
    Likes Received:
    263

    West Point will receive a school profile from your high school's college counselor which indicates things like the % of students that go to college, what classes your school offers, etc.
    West Point will adjust your class rank according to how competitive your high school is as indicated by your school's profile.
    Not all high schools are equal. West Point realizes that and the school profile helps them determine the rigorousness of your school.
     

Share This Page