Still Waiting...

Discussion in 'ROTC' started by FeartheGoat, Apr 24, 2010.

  1. FeartheGoat

    FeartheGoat Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2009
    Messages:
    88
    Likes Received:
    0
    Is anyone else still waiting to hear about an NROTC scholarship? What are you doing in the mean time? I have been accepted to both TAMU and UT and I applied for both schools for the scholarship, but I can't pick one without the scholarship. Advice, or what you are doing.
     
  2. SATMOM

    SATMOM Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2010
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have heard that all the decisions have been made. Have you checked your status on the NROTC application website? My son received a MCO NROTC scholarship to UT (5th choice school and only school he didn't get accepted to). He has asked for a transfer to Purdue but they have already reached their quota for Marine Corps Options. With the May 1st deadline looming we will likely have to decline the scholarship and move on to Plan B. Good luck!
     
  3. CadetMom777

    CadetMom777 Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    Messages:
    189
    Likes Received:
    0
    I believe the NROTC scholarship spots were filled at Texas A&M months ago. You might want to check with each school for their status.
     
  4. shortmom

    shortmom Member

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2009
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    0
    DD is also still waiting. Emailed recruiter last week. He replied this was the last week the board was meeting and she should check her status daily...it is Sat. and her status still reads no decision. Very likely she will accept other offers this week and maybe consider OCS after college.... Can't imagine what the hold up would be...It appears the Navy is willing to let highly qualified kids walk away.
     
  5. FeartheGoat

    FeartheGoat Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2009
    Messages:
    88
    Likes Received:
    0
    Man... I am a little more pessimistic now. My status still says no decision, I check it probably at least twice a day. This is not looking good.
     
  6. Gumtech

    Gumtech Member

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2010
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    0
    Anyone heard from the Navy

    Hi,
    DD still says "no decision" on status page. Anyone out there here anything regarding their Navy scholarship??? She is asking for extensions for both her NROTC schools and state schools.
     
  7. FeartheGoat

    FeartheGoat Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2009
    Messages:
    88
    Likes Received:
    0
    That is what I need to do. How do you go about doing that? Do you usually get the extension?
     
  8. shortmom

    shortmom Member

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2009
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    0
    April 27th, still no decision! Frustrating...
     
  9. Gumtech

    Gumtech Member

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2010
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    0
    Fearthegoat:

    I contacted the admissions department via email and told them that DD is waiting to hear about a ROTC scholarship. I didn't tell them it was Navy because one of the schools she applied to only has Army and AF ROTC, and will know that DD would not attend if Navy comes through. A little devious I guess, but had to be done to save spot. One school already said yes and still waiting to hear from another school. Hopefully we will hear either way this week, but was told that it could go into May.
    We may also just bite the bullet and make the $300 deposit for one of the plan B schools and if Navy comes through, than it is a donation.
     
  10. cjs

    cjs Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2009
    Messages:
    668
    Likes Received:
    3
    Are you sure that you won't get any of the money back? A few of my son's schools gave you all but $50 back if you withdraw your intent to attend by a certain date. Some were completely nonrefundable.
     
  11. bdaMom

    bdaMom Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    0
    ... and some schools don't care about May 1st. Here's a response we received:

    I want you to know that there is no pressure built into the May 1st date from Montana State University. If your son has not made his final decision by that point, that is ok with us. With our rolling admissions policy, we work on the assumption that everyone who has been admitted will be attending in the fall, unless they contact the university to inform us otherwise. So, he still has plenty of time to make his decision and I hope that he is not feeling the pressure from MSU.
     
  12. HwtDad

    HwtDad Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0
    My son's been calling all the schools from his application "preferred" lists, checking on extensions for both admissions and financial aid confirmation, as well as housing. All schools (12) have given him extensions, with just one (Purdue) pushing for a hard answer by May 15th; the rest just ask "as soon as you can."

    Toughest issue is housing, understandably: they can't just stop accepting reservations from other kids & why should they hold a space for him if he can't commit yet? They've generally been OK with an extension for APPLYING for housing, allowing him to ASK for a spot once he DOES know, but that doesn't guarantee there'll be any rooms left. Just have to live with that one, I guess.

    I too wish the national Boards were more prompt in responding - certainly they HAVE to be aware of the May 1st deadlines by most schools. But then, the military isn't exactly known for factoring civilian issues into their processes, now, are they? :wink: And let's face it, if they have fewer spots available than usual, and more applications than usual, their job must be a lot tougher than usual, too, right? So we have to be understanding about all this, is my view. Doesn't make it easier to live with, but what can you do?

    Can't complain, this is the best chance my son will have to get to college (other options being enlisting & using GI bill, or working his way through part-time for about the next 8 years). He goes where he goes, and will be thankful that he gets the chance. Just wish it could be closer to home, best options seem to be 1,000+ miles away...

    Best wishes to all! :thumb:
     

Share This Page