What do I do?

Discussion in 'Merchant Marine Academy - USMMA' started by pazz04, Apr 17, 2011.

  1. pazz04

    pazz04 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2011
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have been accepted to USMMA and I know I am required to let them know if I decide to attend by May 1 but...I have been waitlisted to USCGA. If I tell USMMA I am going there by May 1 is it binding or can I go to USCGA if they end up having an opening later in the summer?

    Thanks for the help,
    Matt
     
  2. KPDD2014MOM

    KPDD2014MOM Member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2010
    Messages:
    42
    Likes Received:
    0
    You really need to decide where you want to go and commit to that academy. I'm not sure if it's binding or not (I would think it would be) but you should not take the slot away from someone who really wants to go to USMMA if you really don't want it. My DD was accepted to both and decided on USMMA because it offers so many more options after graduation but the reality is you need to make the decision for yourself but be fair and don't take a slot that someone else that really wants it! Best wishes for you as you make your final decisions.
     
  3. beachbumtokp15

    beachbumtokp15 Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2011
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    0
    USMMA> Weanie Hut Juniors ;)

    Adding to the previous comment, the academy does offer you many options upon graduation. Good luck and hope to see ya next year!
     
  4. pazz04

    pazz04 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2011
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    thats exactly what I am thinking as far as taking a spot from someone else...but USCGA is my number one and if I do not get off the waitlist then I definitly want to go to USMMA so I am sort of in limbo.
     
  5. donar

    donar Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2009
    Messages:
    91
    Likes Received:
    0
    CG

    I'd talk to the USCGA Admissions and explain your quandary, maybe they would tell you what the odds are of you getting an appointment i.e., where you are on their wait list.
     
  6. bugsy

    bugsy Member

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2010
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    0
    Same spot

    My DS is waiting on word from CGA as well, but has secured a spot at MMA. We visited Kings Point last weekend. I was really impressed. Im pushing for my DS to go to MMA, be he like you is torn.
     
  7. El Bombero Jr.

    El Bombero Jr. Member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0
    So this is what America has come to...... (shakes head)
     
  8. wac2013

    wac2013 Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2009
    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    0
    ...and what exactly is this supposed to mean? alot of people end up in this situation. heck, I was in a similar situation before I decided on KP. I would imagine that most sensible and emotionally balanced people would have a tough time making a decision between the school they want to attend most and the one that has an opening RIGHT NOW.

    personally, i would second calling the academy. i had a medical waiver issue that, as it turned out, wasnt being processed properly by KP. one phone call cleared it up, letter came the next week. amazing what initiating a little contact can do.
     
  9. MMAdad2015

    MMAdad2015 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2011
    Messages:
    37
    Likes Received:
    0
    My DS was in the same position: Wait listed at USNA, USAFA, and USMA. He elimininated two choices, and then contacted his congresswoman to reach out and see where he was on the third wait list. You won't get any information if you don't ask for it. BTW, the percentage of appointments that are turned down has dropped over 75% in the "Big Three"
     
  10. KPDADTX57

    KPDADTX57 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2007
    Messages:
    62
    Likes Received:
    0
    Our DS had appointments from Kings Point and Annapolis by early March. We made an agreement that he would make his decision and notify both academies no later than April 1st based on not taking up a slot that could be offered to another candidate.

    Here is my suggestion. Call CGA - figure out your odds of getting in there and make a decision to commit to one or another. If you sign the paper to go to USMMA that is your written commitment to honor - when you put that letter in the mail you should go inside call CGA and take your name off their list so they can award that slot to another candidate.
     

Share This Page