Hi everyone. Before I tell you about the predicament I'm in I'd just like to preface that I am a candidate for the co2021 at West Point and am not yet facing the dreaded hurry up and wait that some of you other guys are facing. Good luck to all of you and I wish you all the best. I have a problem that I am hoping the experienced and wise eyes of this forum will be able to offer some insight into what they would do in my position. Simply put, I'm torn trying to make a decision between two things that are occurring this summer. - I can spend a week this summer at a police explorer academy. Which is basically a mock up of what a real one will be like and is required if I want to stay in the post. - or I can spend a week with my best friends family, who have practically been my other family for several years now, traveling. While it may seem obvious that I should choose the explorer academy in terms of a college application I need to explain why I am reluctant. First and foremost, my best friend and his family are closer to an adoptive family than anything to me. Unfortunately, he has had mental health problems and has tried to commit suicide in the past. In addition, he has already lost one best friend to suicide before and I am his closest friend now so he doesn't have anyone else that is as close as I am to him besides his family and therapist. So I want to take this trip to help him get better before our senior year and we leave for college, since this might be the last time I can do it. And also because this might be the only time I can actually travel before leaving for college. Especially if I achieve my goal of an appointment to a service academy, more specifically West Point. The other side of my predicament is that I am making the decision to basically leave the explorer program if I don't attend the explorer academy because if I don't attend then they will kick me out. Additionally, I am making my decision based on a knowledge that there is a slim to none chance of me being chosen as an officer in the explorer post. I haven't been told this yet, however I will be talking to the senior advisor and asking him if I will be chosen for an officer position next year. I have let his family know of the predicament I am in of having to choose between the trip and the explorer academy and my initial choice was to go to the explorer academy. However the last thing I want to do is be selfish and I see it as me being selfish if I decide to go to the explorer academy when I could have been there for my friend. Some background info about me is that I am a Boy Scout with an approved Eagle Project and I should be getting Eagle in one-two months, and I am the captain of my school's Computer Science team. I have also been accepted to Boys State and SLE. Additionally, I live in a district that isn't too competitive for nominations. If anyone has any advice on what I should do or what you would do if you were in my shoes, please let me know. Keeping in mind that I still have an appointment to West Point as a goal. I apologize if this is in the wrong topic but I wasn't sure where to post this.