Worth Taking CFA again?

Discussion in 'Naval Academy - USNA' started by merica, Nov 2, 2015.

  1. merica

    merica New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2013
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    1
    Every part of my application is finished, including the dodmerb exam. I just have to get my cfa scores uploaded. Should I send them in now so my application can be reviewed asap or should I do them again? I know I can do better next time on my weaker sections but don't know if it's worth the wait since I won't be able to redo the cfa for at least 10 days. Would the improvement be worth the delay?

    Pull ups-max
    sit-ups max
    push-ups 58 (a little low)
    bb throw- 68
    shuttle -9.7 (too slow?)
    mile run-5:45

    Thanks for your advice.
     
  2. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,547
    Likes Received:
    1,009
    I don't see any advantage to getting it in ASAP. More than likely you won't hear from the Academy until March. Nominations slates aren't due until Jan 31. I think you can afford the 10 days to improve.
     
  3. Padre101

    Padre101 Parent

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2015
    Messages:
    571
    Likes Received:
    317
    Need a bit of clarification. What I heard during CVW from the Admissions Office and what my DS heard from his midshipmen escorts was "Submit everything as early as possible." Given what I know about CFA scores, merica's scores are very competitive. Why not submit them now????


    I'm not sure what his nomination source is, but if he has a presidential nomination, isn't it more advantageous to be before the earlier selection boards now and get an appointment? Also if he is seeking a MOC nomination, wouldn't finishing his application early "possibly" get him a LOA from a selection board which could help him get an MOC nomination? I know that LOAs are rare and not be counted upon, but why not try????


    Trying to figure out his process, so any info would be helpful. Thank you.
     
  4. FalconsRock

    FalconsRock Parent

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2015
    Messages:
    772
    Likes Received:
    537
    1+ Padre - merica your CFA is very competitive and I would submit those scores, but you have to make that decision. And from what I gather on here, USAFA is the only SA that limits submission of CFA scores to one and then a second take is only allowed if they ask (which is very rare). I say send them in and be done and start focusing on your plans B, C, and D. What does your BGO say about your scores?
     
  5. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,547
    Likes Received:
    1,009
    I agree with the principal of getting it in as early as possible, but not at the cost of submitting less than the best possible application. Is there the possibility of an LOA? I suppose yes, but it's extremely unlikely. If he's LOA material will an addition 2 weeks hurt him? Probably not. They could offer an LOA requiring the completion of the CFA at this time if they wanted to. One has to use some common sense in applying these general rules. JMPO.
     
  6. Padre101

    Padre101 Parent

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2015
    Messages:
    571
    Likes Received:
    317
    Roger that, but what I understand of the USNA appointment process is that it's rolling admissions. Why couldn't merica submit the scores he has now (which are relatively strong and most likely enough to pass), and then submit updated scores later? Unlike the USAFA, I thought the USNA will accept updated scores.

    I guess what I'm struggling with is: (1) Getting the Application completed and before the Boards as early as possible Versus (2) Trying to improve your CFA, SATs/ACTs, GPA. I'm sure merica could train hard enough to increase his CFA until January but at diminishing returns because the later he waits the more competitive the boards are.

    Kinnem, my question is out of respect and not to undermine your advice. I agree one has to use some common sense in applying the general rules, but I'm trying to get a handle on the general rules.

    My advice would be for merica to submit his current scores. If he can take it again in 10 days do it, but what if he does worse or the same? He wasted 10 days which he could have used to get his material before the Board. (Again, I think my opinion would be stronger if merica's has a presidential nomination.)
     
    FalconsRock likes this.
  7. kinnem

    kinnem Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2010
    Messages:
    7,547
    Likes Received:
    1,009
    Does USNA have rolling admissions? Yes. Who gets appointments this time of year? People with LOA's and a Presidential nom, as MOC slates aren't even submitted yet. Or maybe recruited athletes that they know they will somehow find a slot for. Hence my own opinion that waiting 10 days will not hurt. When will the vast majority of appointments be made? March. More supporting evidence for my own conclusion.

    Yes, your approach works. But why go thru the process to update and wonder if it got picked up, etc when a few more days doesn't really hurt? Again, JMPO.
     
    Padre101 likes this.
  8. falconchic88

    falconchic88 Member

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Messages:
    864
    Likes Received:
    176
    I'm with Padre101 on this. I would submit those scores now. USNA does let you retake the CFA and resubmit scores. Any time you submit something new, they will take another look at your package, so it isn't hurting anything to get it in and have your package marked complete as early as possible, and then update it if you have a substantial improvement.
     

Share This Page