United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > General Discussion > Academy/Military News

Old 26th April 2012
Banned

Default Another USAFA spice investigation - 31 cadets involved

33 last year, 31 this year. Perhaps a court martial for those involved is the remedy instead of disenrollment?

Quote:
Air Force Academy officials expect to discipline at least seven cadets after a months-long investigation into reports of illegal drug use at the academy.

No names of cadets punished for illegal drug use — nor specifics of the discipline they received — were released Wednesday, more than three months after academy officials began investigating cadets’ use of banned substances.

But the statistics offer the first glimpse into an inquiry that involved 31 cadets — some of whom are intercollegiate athletes — and that mirrored past investigations of a synthetic substance called Spice, which mimics the effects of marijuana.

Lt. Col. John Bryan, an academy spokesman, said that of the 19 completed investigations:

- Eight cadets were cleared of wrongdoing;

- Three cadets have been disciplined;

- Four cadets are in the process of being punished;

- Four cadets are awaiting word from the commandant on whether they’ll be punished.

The 12 remaining cases remain under investigation, Bryan said. He said he did not know whether any cadets have resigned or been expelled in connection with the inquiry.

None of the seven cases involving discipline have involved a court-martial, Bryan said.

Academy officials announced in mid-January that 15 cadets were suspected of using a banned substance other than alcohol, tobacco or drugs prescribed to cadets.

That number has since grown to 31 — two shy of the number implicated in a similar investigation in 2011.

During that investigation, 21 cadets resigned, five were kicked out of the academy, one case was sent to court-martial and six cases were dropped, Bryan said.
http://articles.springsmilitarylife....legal-use.html
Old 26th April 2012

Uugh!

One of the things that made Lt Gen Gould a great guy to work for was his demeanor. One of the friendliest, nicest, caring-about-his-people types of leaders I've ever had the pleasure to work for. Somehow, between this, and the sexual assaults, the religious controversies, and a few others, I hope that demeanor hasn't changed, but I can see it taking its toll on his attitude. That, and on the number of grey hairs he now has...
"I'm back being an American Airman (just now in black suit and tie). I am a (Puzzle Palace) Warrior. I am answering my Nation's Call (one Power Point Presentation at a time)" The Airman's Creed (my version)
Old 26th April 2012
USCGA 2006

WOW.
Old 26th April 2012
USAFA Alumnus

If it is proven that they used spice, I'm not sure how you could do other than kick them out/courts-martial them. The DoD policy on drug abuse is pretty clear.
Old 26th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
Uugh!

One of the things that made Lt Gen Gould a great guy to work for was his demeanor. One of the friendliest, nicest, caring-about-his-people types of leaders I've ever had the pleasure to work for. Somehow, between this, and the sexual assaults, the religious controversies, and a few others, I hope that demeanor hasn't changed, but I can see it taking its toll on his attitude. That, and on the number of grey hairs he now has...
Funny you should mention Lt Gen Gould. My son had dinner at Gen Clark's house last night and Lt Gen Gould was there too and he said they had a blast. He's mood is fine.
Old 7th June 2012
Banned

UPDATE

June 4, 2012

Quote:
http://www.necn.com/06/04/12/8-AF-Ac...44553eb1b1e775

The academy said Monday that eight have received non-judicial punishment, with two of them already dis-enrolled and with dis-enrollment pending for the other six.

Non-judicial punishment is pending for one more cadet, and a special court-martial is pending for another cadet.

The academy has published reports of investigation for two other cadets, who are awaiting a decision from commanders.

The investigations into six cadets are continuing.

Thirteen cadets have been cleared of allegations of substance abuse.
Old 9th September 2012
Banned

Cadet cleared of spice use, convicted for falsehood

September 07, 2012

Quote:
An Air Force Academy cadet was found innocent of using the marijuana substitute “spice” by a court-martial panel Friday night, but convicted of making a false official statement.

Junior cadet Kami L. Bohannon was fined $990 in pay by the special court martial panel for lying to investigators.

“She was found not guilty of one specification of violating Article 92 for failure to obey an order or regulation by wrongfully using the designer drug known as spice,” the academy said in a news release.

Thirty-one cadets were accused of using illegal substances during an investigation announced in January. At least 13 cadets were cleared, the academy said in June. Several were expelled, including Asher Clark, the second-leading rusher in academy football history.

Bohannon played 26 games for the academy’s women’s basketball team last season, starting two and averaging 2.5 points and two rebounds a game, according to the academy’s sports website
I'm a little confused - she was found innocent of using spice, but convicted for lying about not using spice?

Old 9th September 2012
USNA 2008/BGO

Quote:
I'm a little confused - she was found innocent of using spice, but convicted for lying about not using spice?
Luigi,

It doesn't say what the false official statement was. Obviously, saying that you didn't use spice IS NOT considered a false official statement, rather it is a defense. Now, if in the course of the investigation, one lies about being in the room with someone, etc. etc. that is a false official statement because the person clearly made a false statement, the individual knew that, and it was done to deceive (the deception doesn't necessarily have to do with what is being investigated). The best thing for an accused to do in this case is to shut their mouth -- that is the remedy to avoid a situation like this.

"Any person subject to this chapter who, with intent to deceive, signs any false record, return, regulation, order, or other official document, knowing it to be false, or makes any other false official statement knowing it to be false, shall be punished as a court-martial may direct."
Old 9th September 2012

Luigi,

It says lying to investigators, that might mean she may have lied about being present when others were using spice.
Old 10th September 2012

Forgive me if I am misinformed, but, why do I always hear about USAFA being under heat as opposed to the other SAs (gross sexual misconduct, drugs, cheating rings, etc)?