United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Air Force Academy - USAFA

Old 12th December 2012

Default First Class Base Assignments tomorrow

My C1C daughter just called to say that the Academy has announced Firsties will receive their base assignments tomorrow (Thursday) rather than on 100s Night as was originally expected. Upside: Firsties will know where they are going tow months early. Downside: finals start on Saturday -- it's going to be tough for anyone to study today and tomorrow. Someone must has decided it was a good idea to get this done before Winter Break. Timing of announcements tomorrow is up to each Squadron to determine.
Old 12th December 2012

My assumption in earlier posting (that announcement of base assignment before Winter Break is an anomaly) was apparently wrong. I've been told by other parents that until recently (maybe 5-6 years ago) base assignments were usually announced before Winter Break. I've been told that it has only been the last 5-6 years that assignments have not been announced until
100s Night. Anyway -- for these Firsties -- the timing is exciting! Our fingers are crossed.
Old 12th December 2012
Super Moderator

Where is your daughter hoping to go?

Stealth_81
Old 13th December 2012

She will be a Financial Management Officer (her first choice). Her posting requests were all based on proximity to MBA programs -- hope is for LA, Boston, DC, Ohio, northern California, etc. Her class ranking is good -- just depends on where there are openings for this class.
Old 13th December 2012

Default Base Assignments

Sounds exciting! Please let us know how it turns out.
Can you share at what point she really decided what she wanted to do...and at what point she had to declare her choice of options?
Also, are the 'steps' to declare your choices of what you want to do, then receive notice of what you will be doing...then declare your choices of bases, then find out what base you will be assigned to?

New to all of this and just trying to figure things out...
S
Old 13th December 2012
USAFA 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella View Post
Sounds exciting! Please let us know how it turns out.
Can you share at what point she really decided what she wanted to do...and at what point she had to declare her choice of options?
Also, are the 'steps' to declare your choices of what you want to do, then receive notice of what you will be doing...then declare your choices of bases, then find out what base you will be assigned to?

New to all of this and just trying to figure things out...
S
Regarding steps:

Late August / early September you put in preferences for what you want to do. If you don't want to fly, you enter your top six preferences.

Early October you find out your AFSC. If you want to fly, they literally go down the list of rank-ordered cadets and give pilot slots. This year there were more slots than cadets requesting them. If you don't want to fly, a program more or less tries to optimize what cadets want with what the AF needs.

Mid October you put in base preferences. Some careers only have a few options. Others (i.e. Civil Engineering, Support) can go just about anywhere.

Now we find out tomorrow. My squadron will be going to a bar for a good time after the mando holiday spirit dinner.
Old 13th December 2012

The only other aspect of this that I would add to the mix (as a parent) is that class rank is important (class rank being made up of grades, military scores, etc.). A cadet could explain better the actual components of the ranking system. I do know that some of this year's Firsties did not get their first or second choice of jobs. I believe that base assignment is based on a combination of class rank and available openings. As described above, my daughter picked her major (Business Management) first, then her desired job. Once she knew she had gotten her desired job classification, then she ranked the bases at which her job description could be used. In ranking her choice of 8 possible bases, she took into account graduate school programs which will accept part time students. But there are many ways for cadets to pick bases -- for some, everyone with their job goes to just one or two bases. For others, there are more options.
Old 13th December 2012

Well, since our son is on exchange semester still in Spain, his AOC emailed him his pilot training base assignment. He got his first choice in Vance AFB in Enid, OK with a IFF start date of Sept. 18, and UPT start date of Nov. 11. He is looking forward to being closer to Texas and family and pleased with his quick start date after graduation leave. "Ready to get started!" he reports.
Old 13th December 2012

Default First base assignment - interim

Specifically on the pilot training front -

What is the sequence, given the specific time frame just specified.

Graduation June 1 (ish).
60 days off takes them to August 1
48days until IFF on Sept 18th (where are they during this time)?
IFF for how many days?
And then is it "casual duty" at their UPT base after IFF is over?

We asked DS, but his response is that when he needs to know these things, the AF will tell him where to be and when ... :-)

We hate it when he is 100% right, but we're still curious . Best of luck to all our cadets getting to where they want to be!

Thanks
D
Old 13th December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkdarnoc View Post
Specifically on the pilot training front -

What is the sequence, given the specific time frame just specified.

Graduation June 1 (ish).
60 days off takes them to August 1
48days until IFF on Sept 18th (where are they during this time)?
IFF for how many days?
And then is it "casual duty" at their UPT base after IFF is over?

D
Between the end of 60 day leave til IFF they will be casual somewhere -- often at USAFA, but just as often at their UPT base.
IFF is approximately 5 weeks long.
After IFF will go back to UPT base and be casual until UPT start date.