United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > DoDMERB Discussion > DoDMERB

Old 4th December 2012

Default ASTHMA

I have a mild form of asthma, and i never use any of the inhaler or medicine i am prescribed, and i had an asthma attack since i was about 8, and i am 16 and run varsity track and football. i heard on a candidate visit to Navy that i would most likely be medically disq. but in order for a waiver they would have to induce an attack, is this true? and whats the percent chance that i would be granted a waiver?

thanks.
Old 5th December 2012

Default Asthma

There is a ton of great info on the waiver process and asthma on this site. Just search the site. Two things you will learn is that no one can tell you your chances and that you can't request a waiver, an academy has to do this on your behalf. They usually will do that if you are a competitive candidate, but every academy is different. There are two tests you might be asked to take. One is a spirometry and the other is a methacholine challenge. They can be demanding depending on your condition, but they are not dangerous expect for very rare situations. Good luck. Others have been successful in getting waivers for asthma, so it is possible.
Old 5th January 2013

Is there any way you can go to the doctor and get it taken off your record? That's what I did. I just went in , told her I wanted to do ROTC and had no asthma symptoms, and she got it off of my record so I wouldn't have to deal with it later on
Old 5th January 2013

Default Chiilin

There are many reasons why you would not want to have you medical records changed. The best course of action is to be honest, include an explanation of your history when the time comes and go through the waiver process. As stated in other posts, it is possible. Given that the service academies are all about honesty and ethics, you do not want to do anything that could be looked at as misleading and if you do, it can really come back to haunt you later in your academy or military life. Good luck!
Old 5th January 2013

As a health care professional, I cannot imagine that a provider would remove an accurate diagnosis from a medical record. The thought of it just hurts my brain.
Old 5th January 2013

I agree with the others regarding removal off the records. Additionally as a future military officer I don't think that is on the same path with the honor code.

I also agree from a medical perspective it hurts my mind that any doctor would change their records because an 18 yo asked them too, but again it illustrates why they use DoDMERB docs and not the family physician.
Old 5th January 2013

Well we just have jwestman1's version of what their health care provider did, so I am going to hold on to my idealism and imagine that it didn't quite go down that way Otherwise my brain must might explode!
Old 5th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestman1 View Post
Is there any way you can go to the doctor and get it taken off your record? That's what I did. I just went in , told her I wanted to do ROTC and had no asthma symptoms, and she got it off of my record so I wouldn't have to deal with it later on
I can't imagine a doctor doing that unless s/he somehow determined the original diagnosis was incorrect.
Old 6th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnem View Post
I can't imagine a doctor doing that unless s/he somehow determined the original diagnosis was incorrect.
right now i plan to go and take a pft which will give me a yes or no answer about me even having asthma anymore, and if the test comes back reading i no longer asthma she suggested that she would most likely take it off my medical record, thumbs up!
Old 6th January 2013

The thing is they are going to ask if you have ever been or currently are prescribed medicine, and if I have read your post correctly, you are currently prescribed an inhaler, although you have never used it, you still have a current prescription.

I can't see how the pft would induce an attack since you run track and play fb.

You will need to decide for yourself how to answer that prescription question.

Tags
asthma, asthma disqualification, asthma waiver, dodmerb