United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Air Force Academy - USAFA

Notices

Old 12th March 2010

Default Air Force service years

I understand US millitary personnel can retire after 20 years service. Does the 4 years time in AF Academy count toward that 20?

Separatly, if a student takes AFROTC scholarship and attends a different college, does that time count toward the 20?
Old 12th March 2010

And I'm curious - what specific retirement benefits are there after 20 years of service that aren't available after, say, 18 years of service? Do the retirement benefits ramp up the closer you get to 20 years or do you have to put in your 20 years to get ANY retirement benefits?
Old 12th March 2010

Default 20 years for retirement

To date, you must complete 20 years of service in all branches to qualify for retirement. Anything less, and you have separated from the military, no retirement benefits.
Old 12th March 2010

Your Academy years do not count toward your 20 yrs for retirement, however, if you attend the prep school, that year does count., Likewise, ROTC time during college doesn't count either.
Old 12th March 2010

You leave at 18 and you get a hardy handshake and a pat on your back, while your colleagues laugh!

You MUST put in 20 for retirement pay.

If you retire after 20, your AFA yrs can count for GS jobs regarding your pay scale. However, it will not count towards your retirement pay since it is not AD.
Old 12th March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pima View Post
You leave at 18 and you get a hardy handshake and a pat on your back, while your colleagues laugh!

You MUST put in 20 for retirement pay.

If you retire after 20, your AFA yrs can count for GS jobs regarding your pay scale. However, it will not count towards your retirement pay since it is not AD.
Ahh..the lovely "do my years count" question!

Buried in 10 USC 971 is the following statement:

(b) Prohibition on Counting Service as a Cadet or Midshipman. - In computing length of service for any purpose, service as a cadet or midshipman may not be credited to any of the following officers: (1) An officer of the Navy or Marine Corps. (2) A commissioned officer of the Army or Air Force. (3) An officer of the Coast Guard. (4) An officer in the Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service. (c) Service as a Cadet or Midshipman Defined. - In this section, the term "service as a cadet or midshipman" means - (1) service as a cadet at the United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, or United States Coast Guard Academy; or (2) service as a midshipman at the United States Naval Academy.

If you dig a little more you'll find that 10 USC does say that cadet/midshipmen service is "active duty" BUT...the above applies for retirement.

That's why when you graduate from the USAFA, you get a nice longevity ribbon for 4 years of service...but no retirement credit. That's why I look REALLY old with my longevity ribbon with BOTH a silver and bronze oak leaf on it! (means over 28 years of service for those not familiar)

Fun stuff!

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83
Old 12th March 2010
Cadet

28 years...where else can you do something that long and still love it?
Old 12th March 2010

One thing that I'd have to recheck on, is that while your cadet time doesn't count toward retirement as an officer, I "THINK" if you spent say 3 years as a cadet, and got kicked out for academic reasons, and went into the air force as "Enlisted", I think the cadet time might count towards payscale. Not 100%, and it's been about 7 years since I looked it up when there was a cadet who was leaving the academy and going enlisted. Anyway, that's not a normal situation anyway. mike....
2013-2014 Catalog/Brochure Online
Last year's 2012-2013 Air Force Academy Brochure. Downloadable Version
Old 13th March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomingFalcon View Post
28 years...where else can you do something that long and still love it?
I don't know...but if they'd agree to give me a star to replace what I currently wear, then I'd be happy to go to 35!

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83
Old 13th March 2010

Quote:
I don't know...but if they'd agree to give me a star to replace what I currently wear, then I'd be happy to go to 35!
Steve, I get the impression that if they would have let us fly until we hit the 35 year point, BOTH of us would have been happy to stay in at the ranks we are / were!

Just put all us "old" guys in our own separate squadron at each wing, with a guy who actually WANTED to go further in charge as the SQ/CC, while the rest of us "just happy to still be flying" types were either on the flying schedule that day, or on the squadron porch taking a nap.

I can even hear the 4-ship check-in now... "Metamusil flight, check!" "Twoop..., Tree..., Eh, what'd he say?".

or the check in call after arming, getting ready to take the active: "Ensure flight, check!" "Twoop..., Tree..., You young punks, get off my lawn!"

Or the call to tower on 8 mile initial: "Prune flight, check!" "Twoop..., Tree..., Dang gum dentures are loose again!"
"I'm back being an American Airman (just now in black suit and tie). I am a (Puzzle Palace) Warrior. I am answering my Nation's Call (one Power Point Presentation at a time)" The Airman's Creed (my version)