United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Air Force Academy - USAFA

Old 13th August 2010

Default Active duty

Are cadets considered "active duty" family argument/YMCA membership question. Figured someone would know.
Old 13th August 2010

yes, they are active duty
Old 13th August 2010
Founding Member

Yes, active duty, even at restaurants, movie theaters, airlines, USO...
Old 13th August 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencersmother View Post
Yes, active duty, even at restaurants, movie theaters, airlines, USO...
Yes, even at: "The school year has been postponed, we need to deploy you". Ultimately unlikely to happen; but legally, YES it could.
2013-2014 Catalog/Brochure Online
Last year's 2012-2013 Air Force Academy Brochure. Downloadable Version
Old 13th August 2010
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Yes, even at: "The school year has been postponed, we need to deploy you". Ultimately unlikely to happen; but legally, YES it could.
Has that ever happened, I'm actually curious?

That's just silly and would never (I know I shouldn't say never) happen in today's world.
Navy Physician
*Views expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the DON, DOD, nor the US Govt*
Old 13th August 2010

I don't believe it ever happened. Not even during vietnam, korea, or WWI/II. But legally, it can. Am curious though about WWI/II.
Old 13th August 2010

Default Now I'm confused

I don't think cadets at the Academy are on active duty. They do not receive "time in service" time while at the Academy. Their time at the Academy does not count toward retirement, does it? I know time at the prep school DOES count, my son received a DD214 after graduating form the prep school showing the time he spent there.
Old 13th August 2010

You are correct that their time does not count towards retirement. But they are in fact active duty. They are in training status. (Thus the reason for different pay and such). But they receive the same benefits such as medical; covered even in the summer when on leave. They are no longer dependents; they are responsible to do/pay their own taxes and such. It's just that their job is that of "Student". And if they ever were converted over to a "More Active" role: (For lack of a better term); their duties would change, and so would the things you are mentioning.

FWIW: I could be wrong, because it's been a while since I discussed this, but the prior enlisted individuals who get accepted to the academy and/or prep-school first; their time DOES count towards their total service years. (But I could be thinking about something else).
Old 13th August 2010
USMA Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Am curious though about WWI/II.
Pretty sure no one from USAFA deployed during WWI/II.

I'm curious too, but will tell you what we were told some 25+ years ago at WP. The Corps as a whole obviously was never deployed, but classes/training were accelerated and cadets graduated early during those wars. That's why if you go through the Listing of Graduates, you'll see classes of June 1943 or December 1943 or similar.

However, when we asked why we couldn't have a refrigerator in our day room (yes, back in the Old Corps, when dinosaurs roamed the plain, not only couldn't we have them in our rooms - not anywhere in the company!), we were told the reason was because technically, West Point was deployable. And God-forbid, if we went to war, that fridge might not get cleaned out (which would be a far worse circumstance than cadets being deployed for the first time in 180 years! ). I remember pointing out to my Tactical Officer that it worked while I was an exchange cadet at Navy and we kept it clean and all and his reply was "Navy isn't deployable."

So - I'd be curious to hear if that's actually true or if our Tac was just BS'ing us! I personally would think either all SA's or none would actually be deployable but think we're safe in saying it won't happen in any case!
Old 13th August 2010

Yea, I was mainly referring to West Point. Air Force hadn't built an academy at that point yet. But if we wanted to get "Technical", I guess we could say that academy cadets/mids could fall into the category of "Ready Reserves" or similar. Point is: They aren't mommy and daddy's little boy or girl any more; they are 100% responsible for their own actions; and if the military needs have them supporting a real world mission, then that's what they'll do.