United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Air Force Academy - USAFA

Old 7th September 2010

Default What can I do to increase my chances of being accepted to the USAFA?

I am currently a Junior in high school and I have wanted to be a fighter pilot ever since I was in 3rd grade. I am willing to do whatever it takes to go the Academy and increase my chances of getting accepted. As of now I am taking the following classes as a Junior: Spanish 4 AP, English 3 AP, Physics, Finite Math/ Trigonometry, US History. I am also participating in the Physics club and am currently running for Secretary. I am currently working on getting into the Civil Air Patrol. I have completed 40 hours of community service and am working on more. Also, I am currently working on getting into Pre-Calculus because I have spoken with my congressman's assistant, Patty Shay, and she gave me a list of requirement that I should accomplish to better my chances and transferring from Finite/Trigonometry to Pre-Calculus would help. I am also participating in Waterpolo, Soccer, and Swimming as my sports this year. My question is if all I am currently doing is enough for the Academy and what I can do to better my chances of getting accepted into the Academy?
Old 7th September 2010
USAFA Alumnus

Here is the deal: only the admissions committee can truely tell if you will get in or not. We cannot give accurate chances.

The academy weights academics higher than any other portion in their applications. They also weight math and science over other things (heavy engineering school where every cadet takes hard sciences and engineering courses). You need to be in the highest level math class you can succeed in.
For that matter, you need to be in the highest level classes you can succeed in, period.

Academics, leadership, and athletics are the things the admissions committee looks at the hardest.
Old 7th September 2010

Default Considering USNA

There are more fighter pilot billets from the Naval Academy than the Air Force academy!!! try USNA!!!
Old 7th September 2010

60% Academics (Half on SAT/ACT, other half on GPA/ranking/course difficulty, etc)
30% leadership roles which includes atheletics, community service, active role in government such as in clubs, captains, etc
10% CFA (push ups, sit ups, basketball throw, pull ups, shuttle run, 1 mile run)
Old 7th September 2010

Interesting, I guess the AFA changed their WCS in the past couple of yrs. It used to be 60/20/20.

60 Academics
20 ECs
20 CFA and Recs.

Apply for SLS this yr. It will put your name on their radar at an earlier point. It doesn't mean you will get the highest WCS, but as an EC it doesn't hurt to be able to put that on your resume when you are fighting for a nom from your MOC. Sometimes, it can be that one little thing that makes you score just a little bit higher when you are being evaluated.
Old 7th September 2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkoy11 View Post
.....and what I can do to better my chances of getting accepted into the Academy?
Stay healthy.

The highest rated, most academically prepared, physically-fit candidate can be DQ'd for a injury, illness, or other disqualifying medical condition.

You could be a 4.0 #1 ranked 1600 SAT football team captain class president Eagle Scout and not get an appointment because you carry an epi-pen for a severe bee sting or peanut allergy.
Old 7th September 2010

Quote:
Stay healthy.

The highest rated, most academically prepared, physically-fit candidate can be DQ'd for a injury, illness, or other disqualifying medical condition.
This might seem like a joke, but nothing is worse than to have your dreams ended due to an injury before they ever started.

Break a bone and get a pin placed in and you will be spinning wheels with Dodmerb. *That would be why people on this site say congrats for the apptmt, now wrap yourself in bubble wrap!
Old 7th September 2010
USAFA Cadet

Also, don't get too busy. Something that I've noticed here is that the people in my squad were excellent at one or two things, but not average in a lot of things. If you love the Physics club, go with it! If you're wanting to get into CAP just to have it on your resume, I wouldn't worry about it. In two years you might be able to get to C/2d Lt, and the leadership helps, but more people are here who weren't a part of that than those who were.

I was in CAP, and it taught me a lot about leadership and whatnot (how to shine shoes, wear uniform, etc.) When you get here, you're on the same playing field. Friends with no prior, preppy or ROTC/CAP experience have just as shiny shoes, just as well made beds. Only advantage? Maybe know what's going on in some of the upperclassmen's heads because "you've 'been' there."

I'm not tell you or anyone not to get involved with ROTC, CAP or join any other clubs. All I'm saying is that it's better to be excellence where you put your time than to be mediocre in a lot of things.

I had student government, CAP, sports and church activities in addition to school. Those took a lot of time, but I did better in those because I had time to seriously commit to them than if I also had car club, chess club, drama club. Get what I'm saying?

I have a friend who starting the beginning of his Senior year to try to make his application way more competitive. School plays, volunteering, leadership (also tried to get into CAP), and we both got the Texas Senatorial nomination. But he didn't get in, and overall, he stretched himself way too thin his senior year if that makes sense.
Now here, you can do anything you want. Just make sure that you're willing to do "anything" doesn't end up hurting you than helping.

But something else is that there are seminars that make your application competative that might only last a week. One big one that I did was Boy's State. It was a great experience, I got Lt Governor, made friends, and helped my resume. But it wasn't frivilous or anything like that.

Once again, not trying to put out your efforts, just warn you against a trap I've seen too many people get caught in. The Academy wants excellence, and you've got about a year to do so. So, be the best you can be and do your stuff well. Don't be scared to try new things. If you can be excellent in everything, more power to you. Just don't hurt yourself in trying to help yourself.
Old 9th September 2010

I get what youre trying to say. I've actually thought about all the things I am trying to do to get into the Academy and seems overwhelming and I try my best to tell myself that I can do it and I will make it though it strong. Although, I do have one thing one mind that might ruin my chances and I wanted to talk about it. Today, after speaking with several math teachers and counselers, I finally got bumped up from Finite/Trignometry to Pre-Calculus. Which, to me is a great thing that I got into the class. Although, all the teachers told me that I will need the Trig to know what is going on around the last semester of school and I have not been taught the Trig. since I bumped up from my Finite/Trig. class. I am really worried that I might not be able to understand most of the lessons that require the knowledge of Trig. Although, I do have a few teachers and friends that might be able to help me out, which is great, but my consern is that I will lose myself somewhere in the class and end up not getting the A or B that I wanted. My question is, in your opinion, should I really be doing taking this class, not knowing half of the information that I need to know to get into the class? Should I be overwhelmed by taking this class? I am just really worried.
Old 9th September 2010

Personally, I would say NO! Taking a class that you do not have the proper foundation only sets you up for pain and frustration. It will not only hurt you in school, but also when you take the SAT or ACT since you will not have the knowledge to answer the questions.

Your PAR is going to be made up of several factors, gpa, course rigor, class rank and SAT. Having a Math class that you got a C or a D is going to hurt you. Again since the SAT/ACT is also placed into the equation you will take a double hit for getting a lower SAT score.

Having that H or AP behind all of your classes where you get A's will do you more good than having 1 more advanced class where you pulled a C. The SA's know that every candidate is not going to be allowed to take every AP due to their school system.

When your transcripts are submitted the AFA will also require a school profile. In that profile, it will have the grading system, the amount of APs and Honors offered. Thus, they can see how your school works. In your situation, it appears you were not in advance math at an earlier age, but you are compared to your peers in the traditional math course, but in Honors, which helps you.

Good luck