United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Naval Academy - USNA

Closed Thread

Old 8th November 2010

Default Getting Out

I currently attend the Naval Academy but throughout the first semester I've realized this isn't the place for me. I am planning on withrawing from USNA but foundations called me this morning and informed me that if I leave I have to pay back about $8000. I don't want to be stuck here but $8000 is a lot of money. I was just wondering if there are payment options to pay back the money and if so can someone forward me the information or post the link where I need to go?

Thank you so much...
Old 8th November 2010

Quote:
I am planning on withrawing from USNA but foundations called me this morning and informed me that if I leave I have to pay back about $8000.
For what??
Old 8th November 2010

I went to Marion Military Institute for one year as part of the Naval Academy "prep" program and it was $16000....marion paid $8000 and USNA paid $8000. Since I'm leaving USNA I would need to pay back that $8000 to them...
Old 8th November 2010

Ah ha. What does the contract say? Are you required to stay until you graduate? Or only until the end of the year?
Old 8th November 2010

I think this is BS. Fifth year was Foundation Scholarship for schools which allow you a fifth year for sub standard students applying to the academies. Or you went to Marion for a year. Pay it back. Life is a Bitch. You made a commitment now own up. My son did four years wirh some fifth year Foundation Students. We paid about four times your tuition each year and you are complaining. Get some guts and maybe get a loan and pay back a small sum to the Foundation for what they did for you. And now you want to withdraw? You are a joke! There are many that would like to take your place. I am P**sed about this.

Last edited by AF6872; 8th November 2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 8th November 2010
Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF6872 View Post
I think this is BS.

Life is a Bitch.

you are complaining.

Get some guts

You are a joke!

I am P**sed about this.
I interpreted the OPs post as a request for information...not a complaint. I think your post is completely out of line.
Old 8th November 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF6872 View Post
I think this is BS. Fifth year was Foundation Scholarship for schools which allow you a fifth year for sub standard students applying to the academies. Or you went to Marion for a year. Pay it back. Life is a Bitch. You made a commitment now own up. My son did four years wirh some fifth year Foundation Students. We paid about four times your tuition each year and you are complaining. Get some guts and maybe get a loan and pay back a small sum to the Foundation for what they did for you. And now you want to withdraw? You are a joke! There are many that would like to take your place. I am P**sed about this.
Take it easy there.... sub standard?? That is offensive.

He went to Marion Military - a junior military college; not the Kent School for crying outloud.

Each Academy has a different contract when they choose to send students there on scholarship. Navy's is different from West Point's and different from AF.
There was no 'guarantee' that he would be admitted yet, he choose to attend for a year. If he had gone straight to USNA he would not have to pay a dime.

Calm down, already.
Old 8th November 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_Mom View Post
Take it easy there.... sub standard?? That is offensive.
Offensive? Not in a military context.

The academies have standards. The military has "standards." That's what we call them. Something in this young man's profile did not measure up to what the Naval Academy was seeking for members of the class of 2013. That, by definition, made him sub-standard. It's a common and appropriate term in the military. People who find that offensive are, quite likely, only accustomed to the civilian world where honest evaluations are frequently avoided in favor of politically correct language.

As for the rest of the post....that's some passion you've got there, AF6872.
Old 8th November 2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aglages View Post
I interpreted the OPs post as a request for information...not a complaint. I think your post is completely out of line.
I concur.

No one should be chastised/berated for deciding that the academy and/or military life is not for them.

The OP wasn't looking to renege on his debt -- on the contrary, he was asking for options on how he might be able to pay it back.

Calling him "a joke" and instructing him to "get some guts" is boorish and rude.
Old 8th November 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick23 View Post
I currently attend the Naval Academy but throughout the first semester I've realized this isn't the place for me. I am planning on withrawing from USNA but foundations called me this morning and informed me that if I leave I have to pay back about $8000. I don't want to be stuck here but $8000 is a lot of money. I was just wondering if there are payment options to pay back the money and if so can someone forward me the information or post the link where I need to go?

Thank you so much...
You are not the first person to decide to bail out of an academy- if it's not right, it's not right for you and it certainly isn't a moral failing to recognize that- it is why the Government does not require you to be obligated when you matriculate . My question would be like Just-a- Mom's: do you have a contract with the USNA foundation to stay for a period of time if you accepted the Foundation scholarship? If not what basis do they have for seeking repayment of the funds? If you do have a period of time that you are obligated to spend at USNA, then you need to decide - how much do you dislike the place? You are already into November of your Plebe year so you have invested a lot of time and will have zero credits to transfer out- you basically will have nada to show for your investment which makes no sense to me regardless of how little you like the place. So if you want advice- tough it out thru the rest of the semester anyway just so you have something to show for it and the rest of the academic year if you discover that you do indeed have an $8000 contractual obligation to repay.

But whatever you do- as your starting point-go back and READ the contact that you must have signed with the USNA Foundation.
"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.Is there anything of which one can say: “Look! This is something new”?It was here already, long ago; it was here before our time.No one remembers the former generations"... Ecclesiates 1:9-10
Closed Thread