United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Military Academy - USMA

Old 3rd February 2011
Parent

Default Physical Conditioning for Beast Barracks

My DS is busy preparing for R-Day and exercising regularly. I have searched the forum to see whether there is a discussion on the level of physical conditioning needed CBT. The most I've been able to find are vague statements to the effect that the cadet should "be in the best physical condition of their life" to avoid being harassed, etc.

The problem is that my DS has other time commitments, so my question is this: If a cadet meets the average standards for run, pushups, and situps in the CFA, is s/he in for a rude awakening at CBT? Of course, if he has extra time, my DS will work to max out each event as well as practicing carrying a rucksack, etc.

Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated. He will use this information to balance his time between PT, academics, and ECs. Many thanks.
Old 3rd February 2011
Class of 2015

I'm in class, so I'll post a longer response later, but the short answer is yes. It can never hurt to be in better shape. As leaders, you have to be able to lead from the front, which is hard if you are in the back of the pack sucking wind. That being said, you don't need to drop everything and start training like an Olympic gymnast. The admissions site has a prep workout, but it is pretty basic/simple, so I would recommend a different workout. I'll post what I am currently doing at Valley Forge to prep

Anyone who has been through beast, insight please?
Old 3rd February 2011

My cadet would advise NCs (acronym alert!! - New Cadets) to run hills. Not little puny hills in your neighborhood.....HILLS! And running on an incline on a treadmill does not come close to simulating a West Point hill. As cadets say, at West Point, you run uphill both ways.

My cadet was lucky that he was used to extreme humidity but cadets who were not really felt it. The other thing that is hard to prepare for that affects your physical performance during Beast is the constant mental exhaustion.

Forget being harassed-----it is imperative to be in the best physical condition of your life just to keep up.

One other word of advice: please make sure you have been fitted for a top-notch, quality running shoe by a professional. Do not go to the big-box sporting goods store and have a teenage kid working after school advise you in running shoes----hit the running shoes stores where real runners shop. You do not want to be in the sports medicine doctor's office 2 months before Beast being diagnosed with shin splits. You cannot show up at Beast injured.
Old 3rd February 2011
USMA Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDB88 View Post
Anyone who has been through beast, insight please?
I don't know if admissions has sent out their workout yet, but if your DS can do what they prescribe, he should be well off. Everyone improves during Beast though. People who came out of shape and failed the diagnostic APFT were able to pass at the end, and people who passed the diagnostic were able to max or super-max it.

And yes, run hills. During Beast, run groups will run anywhere from 2.5 to 5 miles at paces ranging from 10 min/mile to sub 6 min/mile in fairly hilly terrain (usually 1 or 2 big hills with smaller ones).

You can never be too ready, though. As our wise Regimental Tactical Officer said (paraphrase), "Always look at the glass as half-empty. There is always room for improvement. Never be complacent with where you're at".
Old 3rd February 2011

practice road marches to toughten your feet.

You could do sub 6 minute mile, but it you got blisters no way.
Old 3rd February 2011
USMA Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by patentesq View Post
My DS is busy preparing for R-Day and exercising regularly. I have searched the forum to see whether there is a discussion on the level of physical conditioning needed CBT. The most I've been able to find are vague statements to the effect that the cadet should "be in the best physical condition of their life" to avoid being harassed, etc.

The problem is that my DS has other time commitments, so my question is this: If a cadet meets the average standards for run, pushups, and situps in the CFA, is s/he in for a rude awakening at CBT? Of course, if he has extra time, my DS will work to max out each event as well as practicing carrying a rucksack, etc.

Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated. He will use this information to balance his time between PT, academics, and ECs. Many thanks.
He doesn't have to be in top physical fitness but should be above average. That being said, the more fit he is the better his Beast experience will be. I strongly suggest running hills along with upper body endurance exercises as the top priorities. He will have many time commitments next year and still be expected to maintain physical fitness so he should start his time management now to ensure he has time to prepare physically for Beast.
"There are 52 words in the Preamble to the Constitution of the United States, 179 words in the Ten Commandments, and 286 words in the Gettysburg Address. If you have a point to make and it takes you longer to articulate than one or all of the previously stated rhetoric, I generally stop listening"
Old 3rd February 2011
USMA Class of 2015

I'm concerned about not being able to practice running hills. I live in Florida and there are not any hills where I live. At all.
Old 3rd February 2011
USMA Cadet

Quote:
I'm concerned about not being able to practice running hills. I live in Florida and there are not any hills where I live. At all.
I'm from AZ, which is pretty flat too. I ended up going to local parks and running the hills there. If you haven't looked into it yet, that could work. Running stairs works also.
Old 3rd February 2011

If your stairs are tiny like mine then if your school has a stadium so go run some stadiums then do lots of plyometrics.. Power and endurance
Old 3rd February 2011

With regards to Beast Barracks, its everything everyone said here and more. There is more to Beast than just being in top physcial condition which you better be. You had better be in top mental condition. Be ready to get up at two in the morning and go on a ten mile ruck march in the rain. And anyone that tells you they don't harrass is being kind. They need to see what you are made of and excately what you can withstand. They are building the leaders of tomorrow.

Additionally your cadre has a lot to do with how things go. If it were easy you would not have new cadets quitting in the first three weeks. But if you stick with it you will be much better for the experience. Suggestion break in your boots, get the best running shoes, run five to seven miles a day, get your stamna up and get ready to experence a workout lkie you have never had before. But when you finsih and A day comes you will know you have completed the start of something special. Now the tough work come Classes.
Good luck

Tags
beast, humidity, hydration, physical fitness plebe summer, physical preparation, swim test, swimming requirement