United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Merchant Marine Academy - USMMA

Old 7th April 2011

Default Possible Government Shutdown

If there is a government shutdown, can the teachers still teach? Can the students stay on campus? Does anyone know what happened in the 90s during the last major government shutdown?
Old 7th April 2011

DS texted today that they would be going home on Friday is the govt shut down. I told him, "wishful thinking - in your dreams" !!!
Old 7th April 2011

DS also called last night telling me the rumor was the teachers would be sent home and the academy closed. I gave him assurance that would not happen, I hope I was correct. In either event, they do not need the distraction.
Old 7th April 2011

Yea...talked to my son and he said the profs. won't be there and NO FOOD...it will be in his words "Lord of the flies" situation. lol..hope they get there act together in D.C.
Old 7th April 2011

While talking to DS last night after recognition he said that if the gov. shuts down all Mids will have to leave the campus... I told him to tell friends that can't get hom to hop on the bus with him and we will figure it out when they arrive! Just what they need......
Old 7th April 2011

I was a mid during the last one and frankly I don't remember missing anything. I know I didn't miss any meals and I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any classes.
Old 7th April 2011

seems to me that all the service academies would be affected, not just KP should there be a shut down
Old 7th April 2011

Civilian teachers are federal workers. Whether or not they remain on the job depends on if they are classified as "essential".
http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/06/news...dex.htm?hpt=T2

Keep in mind that if a Federal worker is furloughed due to the shutdown they MAY NOT work. At all. Including emails etc. It is in fact a Federal offense for them to work without getting paid.

My understanding is that the Military will remain on the job but will not be paid until the impasse is ended. Before you get all excited about missing that Cadet paycheck or ROTC stipend, think of all the military families who live paycheck to paycheck, are deloyed and will not be paid on time. This is unconscionable, IMO.
Old 7th April 2011

So far, all we have heard is rumors from our DS/DDs. Lets be careful not to spread unfounded rumors. Until we hear something official, I am assuming they will be at KP with business as usual.
Old 7th April 2011

Yes, there is a degree of uncertaintly. According to the link I posted - most government workers will not know if/how they are affected until Friday - perhaps some not even until they show up for work on Monday.
Good to take it one day at a time.........