United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Merchant Marine Academy - USMMA

Old 21st April 2011

Question "Hold Status"

Hey I have been placed on hold status waiting for a slot to open, can anyone tell me how many applicants recieved nominations to more than 1 academy?

Also if I am in a hold status will i be considered for a prep-school?
Old 21st April 2011

Default "Hold"

Blake - My son is also in a "Hold" status and USMMA is his first choice. However, he fortunately received his appointment to USAFA. Since he was hoping, just like you, of receiving good news from USMMA, we also realize that there is a deadline for accepting his appointment with USAFA (May1). So what we did was call USMMA Admissions and spoke to Cmdr. Johnson and inquired as to how far my son was in possibly getting an appointment. He stated that since they were just giving 275 appointments this year, my son was pretty far off. At that point, my son realized that he was USAFA bound. I would sugest that you call Admissions.

As for Prep School, I am sure all "Hold" status will be considered.
Old 21st April 2011

USAFA has to be the best 'plan B' ever,,,Congrats! I'm impressed!
Old 21st April 2011

I think USMMA is great, I wish I knew about it when I was younger. My son is moments away from accepting USMMA, however he still feels a tug towards USAFA. What was your reasoning for choosing USMMA over USAFA?
Old 21st April 2011

I agree with Lynpar. USAFA is the best plan B ever. Im surprised he was accepted to USAFA but was put on "Hold" at USMMA. Pretty crazy.
Old 21st April 2011

Has anyone heard how many applied this year to USMMA?
Old 21st April 2011

From USMMA Web Site:Early Notification of Admission
Highly qualified candidates may receive early notification of their appointment after complete evaluation of their qualifications. All other candidates will be notified of their status on or about April 10 of the year in which they seek admission.

Do they send out rejection letters? It's twelve days past the "on or about" with no word one way or another. When will the TWE's come?
Old 21st April 2011

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by academyhopefull View Post
I agree with Lynpar. USAFA is the best plan B ever. Im surprised he was accepted to USAFA but was put on "Hold" at USMMA. Pretty crazy.
Getting in to any Service Academy is like hitting the lotto.

First you have to be competitive or they wouldn't even send you an application.

After that the moons and the stars thing comes to mind.
Old 21st April 2011

Guys, i would like to address the issues. Bugsy, I wish I could switch places with you but I guess this is our kids' destiny. First of. I already have an older son at USAFA Class of 2011 so I am looking forward to graduation on May 25. Ever since DS #1 entered USAFA in 2007, DS #2 always looked up to him and worked his butt of to make sure that he has a strong application just like his older brother. He also made a lot of cadet friends over at USAFA when we visited during Parent's Weekend. However, during that whole time in High School, he started reading about USMMA and was quite fascinated with it. He mentioned about the flexibility upon graduation to choose whatever branch of Service to join if you choose to do so as an officer of the Armed Forces. If not, you always have that 3rd mate or Engineer's license to get you a job as a ship's officer or Engineer and then of course, the chance to see the world at a very young age during "sea year". Thus, despite all the convincing his brother did to go USAFA, he was focused on USMMA. Anyway, good luck with your son Bugs.

Hopeful, in response to your question, the same exact thing happened to my older son. He was on waiting list with USCGA which was his first choice and was actually offered prep school at the end. But just like his brother, he was also fortunate enough to get into USAFA. With that said, I truly believe that it is a numbers game. With both USCGA and USMMA, their annual appointments are only in the 300 level. In fact this year, it is lower (275 for USMMA). Thus, stiffer competition. My analogy is that DS #2 is probably in the top 350 candidates which is not good enough to make the top 275. However, with USAFA, he could be in the top 900 which is good enough to make the cut. That is my personal opinion.

Thus, for future qualified applicants, my suggestion is that if at all possible, apply to ALL Academies, assuming you get all the nominations of course. That would improve your chances greatly.

By the way, although it may have sound so easy, it wasn't. despite DS #2's effort, he did not make it the first time he applied so he was very disappointed. He did not even receive a prep school offer. So this is when we decided that he attend NWP which was an hour's drive from our place. Of course, he attended as a free agent. But this is another story.
Old 21st April 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynpar View Post
USAFA has to be the best 'plan B' ever,,,Congrats! I'm impressed!
Thank you so much Lynpar. My son worked so hard to get his appointment.