United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Naval Academy - USNA

Old 19th August 2011

I went to an admission's information session my DS was invited to last week at the USNA. We were told the first board would meet Sept. 8th. He is reapplying so he won't be considered until Jan. Even if you get your packet completed earlier I would not start stalking the mailman for a while, it is hard on the mental health. DS got TWE on April 1st.
Tomorrow I will be heading down for the New Cadet parade at VA Tech., his plan B.
He is excited so that is all that really matters.
Old 19th August 2011

How does this play out for college applicants?

From what you are saying, this means that any college applicants will not be considered until there is already a large pool of applicants. It seems unfair that we are not considered until January whereas applicants coming out of high school can already be appointed in October or November. Does USNA do anything (reserve a certain amount of spots for college applicants or something similar) to ensure that college applicants are on a more level playing field with high school applicants? If not, admissions are currently heavily skewed in the favor of students coming out of high school.
Old 19th August 2011
Super Moderator

The reason USNA waits to make a decision on college applicants is that it wants to see first semester college grades.

Understand that MOST offers of appointment go out in Feb. and March, after the MOC slates are due. The number of "true" college applicants is relatively small compared to the overall total. Last year, I had two college students reapply. One was accepted, one was not.

They don't "save" places per se. However, USNA typically expects to admit college students and factors the timing into the overall equation.
Old 21st August 2011

What all has to be submitted to be reviewed by the admissions board? do all the recommendations, medical, and BGO interview have to be received to be considered?
Old 21st August 2011
USNA 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by babblinbrooke44 View Post
What all has to be submitted to be reviewed by the admissions board? do all the recommendations, medical, and BGO interview have to be received to be considered?
Everything on the Candidate Information System under "Required Application Documents" plus SAT/ACT and BGO interview. Medical, nomination, and CFA do not have be submitted yet for it to be reviewed.
Old 25th August 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuensis View Post
Everything on the Candidate Information System under "Required Application Documents" plus SAT/ACT and BGO interview. Medical, nomination, and CFA do not have be submitted yet for it to be reviewed.
Very very few exceptions to not having the CFA completed prior to going before the board. The only situation I have ever seen or heard about is early extremely exceptional LOAs.
Old 25th August 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964BGO View Post
For years I have participated in the Buckeye Boys State college fair, and following the event an admissions officer from MIT has spoken to the young men. One of his strongest recommendations is that they get their admissions packet completed as soon as possible as their odds of being accepted is greater. This is exactly what we are trying to get across here... get your packet completed and keep it updated going forward. It is good information, straight from the Admissions Office of USNA! The mechanics of how it works really is not as important as the fact that it does work - in favor of those who just get it done. Best wishes to all who pay heed, and lots of luck to those who decide to reinvent the wheel.
I didn't realize that MIT required MOC nominations and that their selection process was mandated by Federal law. The next time an admissions individual makes a plea for early submittal, ask them why. The sole reason is to somewhat alleviate their heavy workload during the holiday period. To indicate a changed probability of admissions is to either not understand the system or an implication that Admissions is not doing their job properly.

Bottom line. Don't rush an application such that anything other than your absolute best is submitted.
Old 25th August 2011
Banned

Let's simplify this little discussion.

EXPEDITIOUSNESS and QUALITY is not EITHER/OR, but rather BOTH/AND, always deferring to doing one's best @ the expense of doing it a bit later but w/in the deadlines. It's that simple.

Do your best ASAP. For benefit of the candidate and the CGO.
Old 27th August 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuensis View Post
What if you have everything but the BGO interview? I have my CFA, medical, an all required documents turned in, just not the BGO (my BGO was actually changed 3 times, and my latest one took a while to reply to emails -- mine's now scheduled for Sep. 10th).

I also went to NASS, so they have a interview/evaluation from that. I know they consider that when looking at apps, so could it stand in the place (temporarily) of a BGO interview and qualify me for the first board meeting?