United States of America Service Academy Forums  

Go Back   United States of America Service Academy Forums > Service Academy Discussion > Military Academy - USMA

Old 23rd November 2011

Default How's the Cow?

I have spoken to a current plebe and he instructed me to memorize the solders creed, army core values, ranks and ect. However he was not too specific.
http://www.west-point.org/academy/ma...uglenotes.html
This website provided me with answers to common hazing questions along with other valuable info.
I just wanted to hear from current plebes or past cadets that have more knowledge on what to memorize before R-Day.
Old 23rd November 2011
USMA Appointee 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjon22 View Post
I have spoken to a current plebe and he instructed me to memorize the solders creed, army core values, ranks and ect. However he was not too specific.
This website provided me with answers to common hazing questions along with other valuable info.
I just wanted to hear from current plebes or past cadets that have more knowledge on what to memorize before R-Day.
Don't memorize anything. You can't possibly understand how much time you'll spend during your first 3 weeks here standing in a formation or a line with that stupid book in front of your face. You will have plenty of time. Maybe know the ranks of cadets (2 bar-SGT, 3bar or up, sir/ma'am) and you'll be fine.
Old 23rd November 2011
USMA 2015

Yea, literally, you have so much time. I would have an understanding of rank structure of actual officers and enlisted as that will make your time easier as well as what mtnman suggested about basic cadet rank although that you will pick up that up really quick and really for beast all you'll need to know is two bars = SGT, more than two bars = sir/ma'am for the most part.
Old 23rd November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjon22 View Post

Perhaps, you will need an attitude adjustment A better way to look at the knowledge requirement is professional development, not "hazing."

Shouldn't know what Army Values are as a future Army Officer. When would you learn it? When you feel like it?
Old 23rd November 2011

Let's be fair. The knowledge book had very little to do with development. It was mostly a time suck so that NCs didn't have time to themselves. What else would you do when you stand in formation for hours. Granted some of the knowledge was necessary to know, but I'd say a good amount was fairly superfluous. Not to mention it was all memorize, quickly spit out to the nearest upperclassman, and then promptly dump.
Old 23rd November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkneram View Post
Let's be fair. The knowledge book had very little to do with development. It was mostly a time suck so that NCs didn't have time to themselves. What else would you do when you stand in formation for hours. Granted some of the knowledge was necessary to know, but I'd say a good amount was fairly superfluous. Not to mention it was all memorize, quickly spit out to the nearest upperclassman, and then promptly dump.
Heartily disagree. For one, The act itself is the development. Situational awareness. The ability to focus on a complex task while in a taxing and non-permissive environment. The ability to extract difficult information under stress. NC knowledge is not meaningless or superfluous, nor were you expected to dump it. I don't know what year you graduated, if at all, but 11 years later I can tell you that the lacteal fluid of the bovine species is highly prolific to the Nth degree.

A major component of Beast is learning to make your brain function in an organized and efficient manner when it would be natural to overwhelmed and not function at all. Knowledge memorization is key to that. We were all smart and could no doubt have memorized the knowledge rapidly if left in a quiet room with a notepad and a soft drink. That's what we were used to doing in high school. Standing in formation, in the heat, not moving, watching for upperclassmen with one eye, and listening to your surroundings while still learning that the discipline which makes the soldiers of a free country reliable in battle is not to be gained by harsh or tyrannical treatment....there is a purpose to that.

I know that when I was 18 and doing it, I hated it too. But when I was 25 and had 4 radios blaring in my ears and was trying to make sense of the multiple burning vehicles and TIC calls in an unfamiliar AO, while piloting my own aircraft and directing my sister ship, I was glad I went through the stress of reciting the days and learning the second verse to the national anthem or Scott's fixed opinion and then reciting them all while doing table duties.

Again, I don't know what year you graduated, or what combat experiences you have. Perhaps your experience was not the same.

Last edited by scoutpilot; 23rd November 2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 23rd November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutpilot View Post
Heartily disagree. For one, The act itself is the development. Situational awareness. The ability to focus on a complex task while in a taxing and non-permissive environment. The ability to extract difficult information under stress. NC knowledge is not meaningless or superfluous, nor were you expected to dump it. I don't know what year you graduated, if at all, but 11 years later I can tell you that the lacteal fluid if the bovine species is highly prolific to the Nth degree.
Spoken like an old grad . . ..

I graduated before you so I am an older grad
Old 23rd November 2011
USMA Class of 2015

I agree with not learning knowledge before Beast. You will have time to memorize...trust me.

Knowledge is not pointless. When I first opened the book and realized all the things I had to memorize and learn, I was overwhelmed. You will learn that your mind is definitely capable of memorizing a lot of information - and more importantly, that you can do so while under stress. Knowledge actually granted me confidence in my ability to access and properly deal with difficult tasks that initially appear impossible. You will learn to not let the stress of an assignment overwhelm you.
Old 29th November 2011

I talked to my son tonight who is a member of the Class of 2015 (Company I-3) about this issue.
He said that you should study the "Plebe Poop" extensively before you enter. He said that some squads, platoons, companies asked many questions and others not so much- it depends on what upperclassmen you get.
However, he was tested early and was able to answer all the questions and that he was now seldom asked anything because the upperclassmen concentrated on the plebes who did not know the information.
Old 29th November 2011
USCGA 2006

Apparently "How's the Cow" is at every academy? We learned it at CGA. A woman I worked with at the Pentagon graduated from USNA...and they had it too.

Indoc isn't horrible. No NEED to learn it before heading to beast, but if you want to have "fun", take a shot at it. Cadre will get in your head either way. Don't want to "show up" your classmates either. You start together. Better finish together. Goes for indoc too.